DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   aluminum wiring (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/46616-re-aluminum-wiring.html)

Doug Miller July 1st 03 01:47 AM

aluminum wiring

In article _V3Ma.85534$%42.53852@fed1read06, "sligo" wrote:
A builder in Peoria AZ uses aluminum wire for AC compressor. After all the
horror stories about aluminum I am amazed that city codes permit its use.
What is the price difference on #6 copper and alum wire?
Tank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Probably varies regionally. Why not call an electrical supply house in Phoenix
and ask?

BTW, you should know that it's not valid to compare #6 copper to #6 aluminum,
because their ampacities are different. Compare #6 copper to #4 aluminum.

Wade Lippman July 1st 03 01:59 AM

aluminum wiring

The problems are just with "improperly" installed 12 and 14 gauge. The
heavier stuff is still in common use and causes little problems, though it
is prudent to make sure the connections are still tight every now and then.

I put "improperly" in quotes because some would say it is all improper.

Joseph Meehan July 1st 03 02:35 AM

aluminum wiring

It is no problem if it was installed right. The real problem has been
with the distribution wires in the home when they are used with non AL
connectors.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"sligo" wrote in message
A builder in Peoria AZ uses aluminum wire for AC compressor. After all

the
horror stories about aluminum I am amazed that city codes permit its use.
What is the price difference on #6 copper and alum wire?
Tank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

---

DaveG July 1st 03 02:56 AM

aluminum wiring

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
It is no problem if it was installed right. The real problem has been
with the distribution wires in the home when they are used with non AL
connectors.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

Makes sense. I believe the wires feeding our service panel are aluminum,

and this house is only 4 years old.
Dave

Doug Miller July 1st 03 01:47 PM

aluminum wiring

In article , "Wade Lippman" wrote:
The problems are just with "improperly" installed 12 and 14 gauge. The
heavier stuff is still in common use and causes little problems, though it
is prudent to make sure the connections are still tight every now and then.

Actually, *any* improperly installed aluminum wiring is hazardous, regardless
of its guage. And of course the same is true of copper also.

JSin July 1st 03 04:40 PM

aluminum wiring

sligo wrote:
A builder in Peoria AZ uses aluminum wire for AC compressor. After all the
horror stories about aluminum I am amazed that city codes permit its use.
What is the price difference on #6 copper and alum wire?
Tank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

One thing that was not mentioned or not made clear was the use of an
anti oxidizing agent on the aluminum wire when installing and or
changing fixtures and or breakers or connections. Also do not wire nut
aluminum to copper unless you are useing a dual rated wire nut or
connector. Otherwise larger gauge aluminum is as safe as copper. As
others have stated it is the smaller gauge stuff that is really
problematic.

--
JSin
Lost Generation Custom Tattoo

Herb Stein July 2nd 03 10:29 PM

aluminum wiring

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"sligo" wrote in message
A builder in Peoria AZ uses aluminum wire for AC compressor. After all

the
horror stories about aluminum I am amazed that city codes permit its

use.
What is the price difference on #6 copper and alum wire?
Tank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

This is Turtle.

Leave that stuff alone. Use Copper and be a Happy Unburned Home owner. I
only recommend Al. wire to people i don't like.

TURTLE

Turtle-

Take this discussion off-line and I'd like to hear your
reasoning for the above opinion.

--
Herb Stein
The Herb Stein Group

[...]

[...]