Terry Carroll

Default Sears/OSH Easy Living paint okay?

I'm making this post under protest and under duress from my wife.

My wife found a good sale on Sears "Easy Living" paint at Orchard Supply
Hardware, just as she's getting ready to paint the bedroom. She's
concerned, though that inexpensive might mean poor quality, and so is
reluctant to go that way, over, say, Glidden.

(Up to now, we've been using Glidden or Behr for various projects and been
happy with the results (other than my wife's taste in colors: she chose to
do our bathroom in a too-dark orange, both the walls and the ceilings,
with the result than whenever you go into the room, it looks like you have
a sunburn, but this is her area of governance and I don't get a vote, so
I'll be a good husband and live with it -- or use the other bathroom.))

My take is that she's painting a light peach over a white, and just about
any brand is going to do that okay; I'd be more concerned if she were
painting, for example, white over a dark blue.

Anyway, my query, as required by my wife: is Sears Easy Living paint okay
for this type of application?
davefr

When it comes to paint, quality is directly proportional to price.
There is no magic formula or technology. The manufacturers who
choose to prioritize quality over price offers the best products.

That's typically what's available in the high end lines at "real"
paint stores where the pros shop. The Pros generally demand quality
paint because they realize labor costs will supercede any savings from
using crappy paint. (cheap paint = very poor value)

Homecenters, on the other hand, prioritize price point over quality
and the manufacturers are happy to "dial down" the ingrediant quality
to hit these price points.. Do you think Home Crapo could sell Pratt
at $30/gallon??

There is no way in hell I'd use crap like Dutch Boy, Behr, WalMart,
Glidden, Sears.

I wouldn't paint a dog house unless I used the top shelf line from
either Pratt, SW, BM, Miller, or Cabot. (it costs too much in the long
run)

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:22:55 GMT, Terry Carroll
wrote:

[...]

Skirmishd

wrote:

[...]

I used to use Kmart paint or the usual cheap paint. I painted the hallway with
the Martha Stewart product and it took a lot of coats and really hasn't kept
well.

We used to live next door to a house painter and he praised Benjamin Moore
paint so much that it got to be a running joke with us.

We painted the living room and this room, my study, with that brand. I will
use it for the next rooms I paint. It handled well and is holding up good.
Maybe I'm a sucker, but, painting is a lot of work and I want the paint job to
last a long time.
peter

painting is a lot of work and I want the paint job to
last a long time.

You are correct.

The Sears brand that the original poster asked about is
probably no worse than some of the other brands he mentioned. You
can't get much worse than those brands.

Use good paint. Once you do, you will see the difference.
You will never go back to the cheap stuff.

Use Ben Moore. You'll be glad you did.

Good luck.

Peter