DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Supporting load bearing walls - how to tell? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/46558-supporting-load-bearing-walls-how-tell.html)

Todd W. Roat June 29th 03 04:31 PM

Supporting load bearing walls - how to tell?

I have finally become, after a couple years of home projects, I have
finally become a moderate competent DIYer. No fear in starting new
projects finally ;^)

One question still aludes me. On TV home repair shows and in other
literature, they always refer to taking out studs or walls (for
windows, room enlargements, etc) and to "make sure its not a load
bearing wall." But they never actually tell you how to tell this.
Are there any obvious things too look for? Any pictures on the
internet?

Thanks
Todd

davefr June 29th 03 08:10 PM

Supporting load bearing walls - how to tell?

Yes, the obvious thing to look for is the phonebook. Call a
structural engineer.

This should not be left to consensus from a newsgroup or
generalizations from a book.

A DIYer needs to know when to seek expertise that's beyond their
abilities given the critical nature of load bearing structural design.

Jeff Cochran June 30th 03 05:11 AM

Supporting load bearing walls - how to tell?

On 29 Jun 2003 08:31:51 -0700, (Todd W. Roat) wrote:

One question still aludes me. On TV home repair shows and in other
literature, they always refer to taking out studs or walls (for
windows, room enlargements, etc) and to "make sure its not a load
bearing wall." But they never actually tell you how to tell this.
Are there any obvious things too look for? Any pictures on the
internet?

Load bearing walls are simply walls which hold a load above them.
There's no rocket science to most of them, and there are a few tricks
that make it easier. First, outside walls at the rafter ends are load
bearing. End walls may not be, but you should usually treat them as
such. If you have a two-story home and walls from the second story
sit on top of walls on the first, they're likely load bearing. If you
have rafters that don't run from side wall to siade wall, the wall
below where they end is a bearing wall. Walls above horizontal steel
beams are bearing walls in most cases.

But, if you're not sure, treat the wall as if it were a bearing wall.

Jeff

Larry Caldwell July 2nd 03 08:33 PM

(Todd W. Roat) writes:

One question still aludes me. On TV home repair shows and in other
literature, they always refer to taking out studs or walls (for
windows, room enlargements, etc) and to "make sure its not a load
bearing wall." But they never actually tell you how to tell this.
Are there any obvious things too look for? Any pictures on the
internet?

Just chop a hole in the ceiling and see if anything is sitting on top of
the wall. If there is, you will need to replace the wall with a beam.
If not, tear away.

If you don't want a beam hanging down into the living space, many times
you can mount the beam in the attic and header ceiling joists into it.
Supporting floor joists is trickier, but you can often use a steel beam
and hangers, if headspace between floors is limited.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc