Russell Smith

Default Overheating Hot Water Heater

I have a hot water heater that uses a small screw to set the temperature of
the water. I have the unit set at about 120-135 degrees, but the water
coming from the unit is more than 150. Also the breaker on the water heater
itself is kicking off each day and I have to reset it to get hot water. Any
ideas of why this is happening? What should I do?

Speedy Jim

Russell Smith wrote:

I have a hot water heater that uses a small screw to set the temperature of
the water. I have the unit set at about 120-135 degrees, but the water
coming from the unit is more than 150. Also the breaker on the water heater
itself is kicking off each day and I have to reset it to get hot water. Any
ideas of why this is happening? What should I do?

2 possibilities:

The thermostat is defective (sticking?).

One of the elements has an internal fault to the element sheath.
This can allow current to flow even though the thermostat opens
(one side of) the circuit.

Jim

Wade Lippman

It is probably not a good idea to have the water heater on if the breaker
keeps going off. Unless you have a defective breaker, it is trying to tell
you something.

How many watts is the heater? How many amps is the breaker? Did it just
start doing this?
If you know someone with an ampmeter (or want to spend $30 for a really fun
tool) it would be nice to measure the amperage.

mainiacs

Save yourself the hassle, and replace both thermostats while you're at it.
(voice of experience..;-)

"effi" wrote in message
replace the thermostat yourself for about $20 probably

take safety precautions so you don't electrocute yourself

"Russell Smith" wrote in message
I have a hot water heater that uses a small screw to set the temperature

of
the water. I have the unit set at about 120-135 degrees, but the water
coming from the unit is more than 150. Also the breaker on the water

heater
itself is kicking off each day and I have to reset it to get hot water.

Any
ideas of why this is happening? What should I do?

effi

darned good point ; )

"effi" wrote in message
replace the thermostat yourself for about $20 probably

take safety precautions so you don't electrocute yourself

"Russell Smith" wrote in message
I have a hot water heater that uses a small screw to set the

temperature
of
the water. I have the unit set at about 120-135 degrees, but the water
coming from the unit is more than 150. Also the breaker on the water

heater
itself is kicking off each day and I have to reset it to get hot

water.
Any
ideas of why this is happening? What should I do?

combi vs conventional Colin eclipse 2 UK diy 243 December 25th 05 07:41 PM
Water mains leak? mich UK diy 37 July 14th 04 10:58 AM
Water heater problem ChrisM UK diy 1 June 22nd 04 10:32 PM
HF 34706 lathe Dominic Palazzola Woodturning 56 March 8th 04 11:21 AM