DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Help with PVC plumbing (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/46368-re-help-pvc-plumbing.html)

Lou W June 26th 03 12:40 AM

Help with PVC plumbing

"Yelardlad" wrote in message
I have an underground sprinkling system which didn't get drained
properly and subsequently a ball valve split and needs replacing. I'm
unable to get the guilty culprit to repair it so I'm going to try it
myself and have not worked much with PVC. The valve is brass, just
below the main anti-siphon valve at the side of the house. The pipe
leading to and exiting from the valve is all white PVC. The brass
fittings are all 1" so whatever corresponding sized PVC that would be.
Do you just cut out the valve and add pvc couplings and short pieces or
"nipples" to replace that part cut out or is there a solvent to
"unglue" these joints? It seems the easiest would be just to cut out
the whole valve assembly with a hack saw and cobble a new one in. I
tried putting a wrench to the valve but I'm afraid the amount of stress
on the brass would crack the PVC pipe threaded into it. This is
probably simple and I'm making too much of it, but I thought I better
ask.
Thanks in advance for any useful info.
Jim

Cut it out with a hack saw then.. install a new assembly just as the old
one was only this time one side will connect with a pvc compression coupling
to the pipe

John W. Wells June 26th 03 06:22 AM

Help with PVC plumbing

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:40:30 -0700, "Lou W"
wrote:

"Yelardlad" wrote in message
I have an underground sprinkling system which didn't get drained
properly and subsequently a ball valve split and needs replacing. I'm
unable to get the guilty culprit to repair it so I'm going to try it
myself and have not worked much with PVC. The valve is brass, just
below the main anti-siphon valve at the side of the house. The pipe
leading to and exiting from the valve is all white PVC. The brass
fittings are all 1" so whatever corresponding sized PVC that would be.
Do you just cut out the valve and add pvc couplings and short pieces or
"nipples" to replace that part cut out or is there a solvent to
"unglue" these joints?

You must cut and discard. The "glue" you will need is actually a
solvent--it dissolves the PVC and welds it. Thus "ungluing" is
impossible.

It seems the easiest would be just to cut out
the whole valve assembly with a hack saw and cobble a new one in. I
tried putting a wrench to the valve but I'm afraid the amount of stress
on the brass would crack the PVC pipe threaded into it. This is
probably simple and I'm making too much of it, but I thought I better
ask.
Thanks in advance for any useful info.
Jim

Cut it out with a hack saw then.. install a new assembly just as the old
one was only this time one side will connect with a pvc compression coupling
to the pipe

"Compression" coupling? Why? Yelardlad can just use a
PVC-to-threaded adapter to couple to his new valve.

Yelardlad, PVC has gotta be the easiest, most foolproof piping medium
around. As homeowner for nearly 40 years I've never had a leak (nor
had to call a plumber). [My latest home is all copper--sigh]

--John W. Wells