KenY

Default Can I use lag bolts to secure gutters?

Every spring I have to pound in the long nails that hold the gutters
to the eaves. I'm wondering if it would be OK to replace the long
nails with lag bolts.

Is this advisable or practical? Are there any considerations that I'm
not seeing that would make this not safe?

Thanks.
--
To reply in e-mail, remove "ZZ" from the return address

JTM

"KenY" wrote in message
Every spring I have to pound in the long nails that hold the gutters
to the eaves. I'm wondering if it would be OK to replace the long
nails with lag bolts.

Is this advisable or practical? Are there any considerations that I'm
not seeing that would make this not safe?

My last gutter was installed with factory supplied square drive screws which
were essentially lag screws with a internal square drive head. I see no reason
you cannot use lag screws as long as you don't go over board with a diameter
that will split the fascia. The ones supplied with my gutter were approximately
3/16" in diameter.

Regards,

John

ameijers

"KenY" wrote in message
Every spring I have to pound in the long nails that hold the gutters
to the eaves. I'm wondering if it would be OK to replace the long
nails with lag bolts.

Is this advisable or practical? Are there any considerations that I'm
not seeing that would make this not safe?

If the nails keep walking loose on a regular basis, I'd be wondering about
the condition of the fascia board and/or rafter tails that they are nailed
into. Do your gutters get full of ice every winter or something, or is this
just thermal cycling pulling them out? I'd recommend buying an ice pick or
awl, and literally poking around up there to look for soft spots. The
difference between good wood and rotten will be quite apparent.

aem sends...