Tom G

Default Garage Door Cure

We recently had a sectional overhead 2-car garage door installed. The problem
is, the property (on a hill) has settled over the last 40 years, so while the
garage door bottom seals nicely at one end, there is a gap of a half-inch or so
at the other end.

Is anyone aware of a fix for this problem? The garage door installation company
was clueless. We were thinking of taller door-bottom weather stripping that
could be installed on an angle. Does that make sense, or is there a better
solution out there somewhere? Thanks.

Art Begun

Someone here posted info on raising a slab at reasonable cost a few
weeks ago. Apparently a hole is drilled and limestone injected until
the slab is level. If you slab is not level that might be the correct
fix. It was relatively cheap according to the post and worked well.

"Tom G" wrote in message
We recently had a sectional overhead 2-car garage door installed.

The problem
is, the property (on a hill) has settled over the last 40 years, so

while the
garage door bottom seals nicely at one end, there is a gap of a

half-inch or so
at the other end.

Is anyone aware of a fix for this problem? The garage door

installation company
was clueless. We were thinking of taller door-bottom weather

stripping that
could be installed on an angle. Does that make sense, or is there a

better
solution out there somewhere? Thanks.

Eric Scantlebury

"Art Begun" wrote in message
Someone here posted info on raising a slab at reasonable cost a few
weeks ago. Apparently a hole is drilled and limestone injected until
the slab is level. If you slab is not level that might be the correct
fix. It was relatively cheap according to the post and worked well.

Why not just cut the garage door to fit the angle? I've seen that done on
This Old House.

Tom G

"Eric Scantlebury" wrote in message

"Art Begun" wrote in message
Someone here posted info on raising a slab at reasonable cost a few
weeks ago. Apparently a hole is drilled and limestone injected until
the slab is level. If you slab is not level that might be the correct
fix. It was relatively cheap according to the post and worked well.

Why not just cut the garage door to fit the angle? I've seen that done on
This Old House.

Unfortunately, it is an insulated steel door. I don't think it would cut well.
John W. Wells

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 06:24:14 -0700, "Tom G" wrote:

We recently had a sectional overhead 2-car garage door installed. The problem
is, the property (on a hill) has settled over the last 40 years, so while the
garage door bottom seals nicely at one end, there is a gap of a half-inch or so
at the other end.

My new overhead door has a gasket on the bottom edge that is about an
inch and a half thick. [Actually an inch and a half in diameter,
since it's a hollow rubber tube--very flexible]

That sort of gasket would easily compress to cover your half inch
discrepancy.

--JWW

Is anyone aware of a fix for this problem? The garage door installation company
was clueless. We were thinking of taller door-bottom weather stripping that
could be installed on an angle. Does that make sense, or is there a better
solution out there somewhere? Thanks.

Eric Scantlebury

"Art Begun" wrote in message
Someone here posted info on raising a slab at reasonable cost a few
weeks ago. Apparently a hole is drilled and limestone injected until
the slab is level. If you slab is not level that might be the correct
fix. It was relatively cheap according to the post and worked well.

Why not just cut the garage door to fit the angle? I've seen that done

on
This Old House.

Unfortunately, it is an insulated steel door. I don't think it would cut

well.

Ah, yes. I've only seen it done with wood

Art Begun

If the slab settled in the garage it should be raised.

"mark henderson" wrote in message
yes, but in this instance, there is a house attached to the slab.

"Art Begun" wrote in message
Someone here posted info on raising a slab at reasonable cost a

few
weeks ago. Apparently a hole is drilled and limestone injected

until
the slab is level. If you slab is not level that might be the

correct
fix. It was relatively cheap according to the post and worked

well.

Richard J Kinch

You're in a real predicament.

Tom G writes:

Is anyone aware of a fix for this problem? The garage door
installation company was clueless.

Clueless? Or just acknowledging there's no good, easy fix?

There is a kind of long "brush" bottom seal sold for large aircraft hanger
doors. It can bridge a few inches. Not cheap. Perhaps you could
improvise something similar by cutting up push brooms.
MF

If I am remembering this original post, you have a space at one side of the
door at the bottom. Pardon the obvious and perhaps insulting 'duh'
questions, but have you put a level on the bottom of the door and on the
concrete below it to see what is not level? Perhaps even the sides of the
opening, for that matter. If it is the door, I would think the 'clueless'
installer would have to do some modification to fix it. Even if the house
itself is off, seems to me one of the side mounts could be moved up or down
a little to balance the situation.

Of course, before being flamed for stupidity, I point out I am not an
installer or an expert, just throwing out thoughts.

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
You're in a real predicament.

Tom G writes:

Is anyone aware of a fix for this problem? The garage door
installation company was clueless.

Clueless? Or just acknowledging there's no good, easy fix?

There is a kind of long "brush" bottom seal sold for large aircraft hanger
doors. It can bridge a few inches. Not cheap. Perhaps you could
improvise something similar by cutting up push brooms.

MF

I now have ventured out of my league on this, so I will shut up now. I was
just throwing out thoughts.

Thanks.

"Tom G" wrote in message
"MF" wrote in message

If I am remembering this original post, you have a space at one side of

the
door at the bottom. Pardon the obvious and perhaps insulting 'duh'
questions, but have you put a level on the bottom of the door and on the
concrete below it to see what is not level? Perhaps even the sides of

the
opening, for that matter. If it is the door, I would think the

'clueless'
installer would have to do some modification to fix it.

Nope, the facts are as given. And the installer was not clueless, he was

great.
He brought the situation to our attention. After our install, he left that
company. The people sent out afterwards to try to remedy the situation

were the
clueless ones.

Even if the house itself is off, seems to me one of the side mounts

could be
moved up or down
a little to balance the situation.

I don't understand what you mean. The door operates perfectly now. It is

level,
plumb and balanced. Wouldn't your suggestion bring it out of level?