Robert A. Barr

Default Slate Roof/Gutter Question

Rob Gray wrote:

I have a slate roof/gutter question. Does anyone know if the gutter
hangers that are secured under the slates and hang out below the roof to
support half-round gutters can be replaced without replacing the slates?

The reason I ask is that I am considering changing out my older
galvinized half-round gutters with copper gutters, but to do so, I need
to install new hangers. I can't use the old steel hangers with copper
gutters......

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

Rob

You couldn't use a portion of the old hanger as a stub? Use a good quality
fastener (nut & bolt) to attach new hangers to the old? That's what I did
years ago when my old galvanized finally died. I sheared off the old
gutter, kept the hangers and extended them as necessary with nuts & bolts (I
used brass).

The last thing you want to do is crack that last (first, actually) course of
slate!

thunder

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 01:59:57 +0000, Rob Gray wrote:

I have a slate roof/gutter question. Does anyone know if the gutter
hangers that are secured under the slates and hang out below the
roof to support half-round gutters can be replaced without replacing
the slates?

If the slates are in good condition, they can be removed rather
easily with a good chance of no damage to them. You will need a
slate ripper.

http://www.jenkinsslate.com/store_rippers.html

Damn, I think the last ripper I bought was $15.

chemistry question Grant Erwin Metalworking 44 November 3rd 03 06:41 AM
New roof; slate or tiled N. Thornton UK diy 0 October 26th 03 03:18 PM
Sanding slate Andy Dingley UK diy 1 August 20th 03 10:47 PM
Pipe thread question, NPT vs NPSF, MIP, FIP and IPS Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 1 August 9th 03 05:20 AM
Slate floor sealing.... Andy Hall UK diy 0 July 14th 03 11:48 PM