DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Soundproofing ceiling of basement (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/46275-soundproofing-ceiling-basement.html)

John Tabasz June 24th 03 12:33 AM

Soundproofing ceiling of basement

I have a window of opportunity coming up to reinforce the floor of my
kitchen and dining room. What I plan to do is to remove the sheetrock
on the ceiling of the basement below, and double up each of the 2X8
joists that are there now with new Fir 2X8s. The span is 14', and
should have been built with bigger lumber to begin with but it's too
late for that now.
My question to the group is "What can I do to this ceiling while it's
open, to deaden the sound of people walking on the floor above?" The
sound is quite loud and makes for a noisy living space.
Bring on the suggestions.....

Carpenter Ant June 24th 03 12:04 PM

Soundproofing ceiling of basement

"John Tabasz" wrote in message
om...
I have a window of opportunity coming up to reinforce the floor of my
kitchen and dining room. What I plan to do is to remove the sheetrock
on the ceiling of the basement below, and double up each of the 2X8
joists that are there now with new Fir 2X8s. The span is 14', and
should have been built with bigger lumber to begin with but it's too
late for that now.
My question to the group is "What can I do to this ceiling while it's
open, to deaden the sound of people walking on the floor above?" The
sound is quite loud and makes for a noisy living space.
Bring on the suggestions.....

install resilient channel (metal strapping) instead of fir (wood) strapping
and insulate with R-30 sound proofing insulation
and install 5/8" fire rated sheet rock or blueboard.

NOTE
if you have can lights in the ceiling
make sure they are made for insulated spaces.

Mike Coonrod June 24th 03 02:44 PM

Soundproofing ceiling of basement

The metal channel I used was called hat channel, don't know if that is
the real term or the pet name for it. One layer of 5/8 sheetrock on the
floor joist, the connect channel on one side of the metal hat, then
attach the 1/2 sheetrock to the channel. The last layer will sort of be
suspended and stop sound. Worked good for me.

Mike Coonrod