allen

Default buried drum traps

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:30:49 -0400, Speedy Jim wrote:

In my experience with lots of drum traps, clogs *inside* them are
extremely rare. Some drum designs permit a snake to pass thru,
many do not.

Behind the tub, see if you can locate where the vent connection for
the tub drain enters a TEE (maybe even from the floor above).
Cut the vent to put a cleanout fitting in and you can snake downward
into the drain.

Or, if the sink drains slowly, the clog may be beyond the WYE (or in
it). Snaking from the sink often clears it.

Lots of possibilities depending on layout, but those are a few
choices.

Thanks!

The sink drain is fine. No gurgling. So that kinda tells me that its
clear after the drum trap. Actually they should be called dumb traps.

I figure the trap as 1935 vintage. Probably the delux metric model for
that year. There is no access behind the tub without chopping out
kitchen cabinet on other side. Oh it can be done but wow I hate to
start busting holes in things. And the tiled floor is a real mud job
of maybe 2 inches and small tiles that are period detail.

I went with power auger slowly down tub overflow and am pretty sure I
got to the trap. I will do it again and maybe get more out. If not
then I think that I am going to get one of those pressure ram guns. I
am still wondering if anyone has figured out a way to clear a drum
trap without opening it.

Allen