DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   curved drywall question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/46207-re-curved-drywall-question.html)

Carpenter Ant June 22nd 03 11:31 PM

curved drywall question

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
Rob wrote:

I want to drywall a curved section of wall, can I do this with 3/8"
thick drywall, or should I use 1/4"? The wall has a 90 degree arc with
a 3' radius.
If I use 1/4", should I double it up? I was thinking that 1/4" seems
pretty thin and would probably be easy to accidentally punch a hole
through.

The arc of the wall is about 5' in length, and it's a short ceiling,
only about 6'4" high. I was hoping to do this all in one piece of
drywall, but 5'x6' is kind of an awkward size for drywall. Would I
even be able to get a single sheet of drywall that could cover this?
I've only ever seen drywall in 4' widths.

Thanks for any advice,
Rob

Use 1/4" drywall in two layers, and stagger the seams. You will
have seams because you cannot get a single sheet of drywall that
will cover the whole thing. Use the standard (4' wide) drywall
horizontally. Wetting it will help it to bend more easily, but will
also make it break more easily.

Good luck.

Robert Allison
Georgetown, TX

if you are going to wet it to bend it
shouldn't it be greenboard (moisture resistant)
instead of standard drywall?
the paper could delaminate by wetting standard drywall.

of coarse you would use blue board if it were being plastered.

relief cuts on the back side works .....even dry!

drywall doesn't have to be hung horizontally.
which ever way gives you less seams works best.

jim June 23rd 03 12:13 AM

curved drywall question

Rob wrote:

I want to drywall a curved section of wall, can I do this with 3/8"
thick drywall, or should I use 1/4"? The wall has a 90 degree arc with
a 3' radius.
If I use 1/4", should I double it up? I was thinking that 1/4" seems
pretty thin and would probably be easy to accidentally punch a hole
through.

The arc of the wall is about 5' in length, and it's a short ceiling,
only about 6'4" high. I was hoping to do this all in one piece of
drywall, but 5'x6' is kind of an awkward size for drywall. Would I
even be able to get a single sheet of drywall that could cover this?
I've only ever seen drywall in 4' widths.

Thanks for any advice,
Rob

i have arch door openings(no doors) in my living room/den to the dining
room and from the foyer to the living room... the width of the openings
is about 36 inches each and it seems that they (the contractors that
were working for the general contractor had used 1/2 inch drywall on
these arches like they used in the rest of the house... the top part of
each arch was nailed to the framing with plywood under it and then the
sheet rock was cut at various locations (on the back side, dark side) to
allow it to bend to the arch and was nailed onto the plywood backing..
the width of the arch is only about the tickness of the walls that they
join(4 inches or so).....

Tom Baker June 23rd 03 02:14 AM

curved drywall question

(Rob) wrote in message om...
I want to drywall a curved section of wall, can I do this with 3/8"
thick drywall, or should I use 1/4"? The wall has a 90 degree arc with
a 3' radius.
If I use 1/4", should I double it up? I was thinking that 1/4" seems
pretty thin and would probably be easy to accidentally punch a hole
through.

The arc of the wall is about 5' in length, and it's a short ceiling,
only about 6'4" high. I was hoping to do this all in one piece of
drywall, but 5'x6' is kind of an awkward size for drywall. Would I
even be able to get a single sheet of drywall that could cover this?
I've only ever seen drywall in 4' widths.

Thanks for any advice,
Rob

U. S. Gypsum has flexible gypsum panels.
I have not worked with the material.

Tom Baker