Old October 3rd 16, 03:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 7:02:25 AM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 8:57:58 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

This was discussed recently. Some inspectors want the pin up. The
reason is that in an office a paper clip fell and hit the prongs of a
plug that was not pushed in fully. Pin up would not let it short.
IIRC, national code does not mention it.

I've seen a short-circuit twice from metal getting behind the plug. One *was* caused by it being "prong up", a hospital bed was *raised* and came between the wall and 2 prongs. The other was a pull chain that was too long and hitting the hot wire. In the 2nd case up or down would have made no difference.
I can see why there is no code.

....if I wasn't clear on this, "prong up" meant "ground prong up".

Old October 3rd 16, 05:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Derby Day wrote:

I haven't. My hedge trimmer doesn't have it's own cord, just a plug built
into a recessed area of the handle. The socket end of an extension cord
connects directly to that plug and is held in by a molded hook.

Now ask me about cutting the *extension cord* with my hedge trimmer

I have the same type of trimmer, and several various length extension cords to use depending on how far from the house I have to go. I just checked, at least one of my 5 extension cords does not have a band of tape where I nicked/cut it. Of course, that is over 40+ years of use so I guess it is not too bad.
Old October 3rd 16, 08:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 3, 2016 at 12:13:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Derby Day wrote:

I haven't. My hedge trimmer doesn't have it's own cord, just a plug built
into a recessed area of the handle. The socket end of an extension cord
connects directly to that plug and is held in by a molded hook.

Now ask me about cutting the *extension cord* with my hedge trimmer

I have the same type of trimmer, and several various length extension cords to use depending on how far from the house I have to go. I just checked, at least one of my 5 extension cords does not have a band of tape where I nicked/cut it. Of course, that is over 40+ years of use so I guess it is not too bad.

Several of my extension cords are not as long as when I bought them.

Old October 3rd 16, 09:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Derby Day wrote:

I haven't. My hedge trimmer doesn't have it's own cord, just a plug built
into a recessed area of the handle. The socket end of an extension cord
connects directly to that plug and is held in by a molded hook.

Now ask me about cutting the *extension cord* with my hedge trimmer

I have the same type of trimmer, and several various length extension cords to use depending on how far from the house I have to go. I just checked, at least one of my 5 extension cords does not have a band of tape where I nicked/cut it. Of course, that is over 40+ years of use so I guess it is not too bad.

Several of my extension cords are not as long as when I bought them.

Many years ago my (then) teenage son got hired by a well-to-do family
friend to help him clean out his garage. When I went to pick him I saw
a 50' 12g extension cord - on a reel - on top of the trash pile. It
looked almost brand new, so I grabbed it and tossed it in the car.

When I got home I found that the cord had been cut about 6' from one
end. It was held together just by a piece of the outer jacket.

I bought a plug and socket and turned it into a 6' cord and a 44' cord.
It's 15 years later and I still use both of them. I remember explaining
to my son what happens when you have more money than you know what to
do with.
Old October 3rd 16, 09:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Oct 2016 12:19:06 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

Several of my extension cords are not as long as when I bought them.

If you add up the length of the pieces does it come up the same as the
new length?

Old October 4th 16, 02:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2016 9:27 AM, TimR wrote:

It was silent for a second then someone from a far corner of the build site
called out "He cut the cord." The echo chant now changed from "Don't cut the
cord!" to "He cut the cord.", "He cut the cord.". The timing was perfect and
we ending up laughing so hard it hurt.

Cousin I-Cut-The-Cord Monster

Is there anyone here who has NOT cut the cord of his hedge trimmer?

Define cut. Clear through? Nope, never did that. Lets not get into
details such as cutting through the insulation and other meaningless
trivial facts.
Old October 4th 16, 04:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski

8:26 PM (1 hour ago)

On 10/3/2016 9:27 AM, TimR wrote:

It was silent for a second then someone from a far corner of the build site
called out "He cut the cord." The echo chant now changed from "Don't cut the
cord!" to "He cut the cord.", "He cut the cord.". The timing was perfect and
we ending up laughing so hard it hurt.

Cousin I-Cut-The-Cord Monster

Is there anyone here who has NOT cut the cord of his hedge trimmer?

Define cut. Clear through? Nope, never did that. Lets not get into
details such as cutting through the insulation and other meaningless
trivial facts.

You don't have to cut clean thru to have a problem, just severing one of the two/three conductors will stop things pretty effectively. I have been known to repair that type of failure by inserting a bare copper wire a couple of inches long into the two cut ends to reestablish conductivity for that conductor, and then taping over the whole thing. That works fine as long as the insulation over the unsevered conductor(s) is/are intact, and the cord is not flexed too much.
Old October 4th 16, 11:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 13:43:15 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

That's something I do. Sometimes, I've even changed it in public places.

Unlike a lot of people, my idea of "looks best" depends on practical
things, not silly rules. If you plug something into the top outlet (of a
vertically mounted) duplex receptacle, the cord hangs down across the
bottom outlet making it harder to use.

I'm not sure if I EVER thought it looked best to use the top.

Just wrap electrical tape around the hot terminal on all plugs!

Old October 4th 16, 11:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 9:18:14 PM UTC-4, TomR wrote:
A friend of mine asked me today why the electrical outlets in my house were
"upside down". They are positioned with the ground pin hole at the top and
the two slots of the outlet on the bottom. I agree that, to me, they "look"
like they are upside down, and I think they would "look" better with the
ground pin hole on the bottom. But, my belief is that the National
Electrical Code (NEC) is silent on this question and that there is no right
or wrong orientation for electrical outlets.

My friend said that he has had code enforcement officials tell him that
electrical outlets with the ground pin hole on top were "upside down" and
that they needed to be reversed to be with the ground pin on the bottom to
pass the electrical inspection.

Is there anything in the NEC that says that one way is "upside down" and the
other way is the "correct" orientation?

homes in florida often have outlets in the same home orientated both ways

ground pin down for always on, ground pin up for switched outlets
Old October 5th 16, 12:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair

homes in florida often have outlets in the same home orientated both ways

ground pin down for always on, ground pin up for switched

That's interesting, but I never heard of it 60+ years ago when I worked for an electrician during high school and college in Florida. (Of course, back then most wiring outlets were just hot and neutral. 3-prong outlets were for industrial use.)