Old October 1st 16, 04:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

Mr. Safety says use a recessed receptacle:
https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-689-W...-Residential/d
p/B0012DKBL2

Good choice Mr. Safety, but often there isn't enough room in the box
to use it!

Another option, albeit not real attractive, is to use a weatherproof outlet
cover:

https://www.amazon.com/MM410C-Weathe...or-Receptacle-
Protector/dp/B001JEPX44/ref=sr_1_1

Plug the cord in, close the cover, and nothing it going to fall between the
plug and the outlet, not even rain.

I suppose you could paint the cover to match the wall. Perfect for those
situations where you're constantly dropping pieces of metal on your
electrical outlets.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Old October 1st 16, 06:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 01 Oct 2016 11:12:28 -0400, FromTheRafters
wrote:

Mr. Safety explained :
Mr. Safety says use a recessed receptacle:

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-689-W.../dp/B0012DKBL2

Prevents 'wall warts' too.

Good catch.
Old October 1st 16, 06:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote: "holding a metal outlet cover comes loose, the cover can fall onto the hot and neutral as a plug is
removed or is partially unplugged. Whenever I installed receptacles, I install them ground up for a vertical installation
and neutral up for a horizontal installation. That's the way I've done it, you can do it your way. ^_^ "

^ +1!! ^

Uncle Logical Monster!
Old October 1st 16, 07:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

If the screw holding a metal outlet cover comes loose, the cover can
fall onto the hot and neutral as a plug is removed or is partially
unplugged.

Sheesh, what's with all the loose screws and plugs falling out of outlets?

I can't recall EVER seeing a loose cover plate screw. Assuming they were
tightened when installed, why would the screw work loose? The screw would
not only have to loosen up, but it would have to back out a half inch for
the cover plate to fall off. Even if that were to happen, a plastic cover
plate would solve that problem.

- Use a quality outlet with a plastic cover plate.
- Don't use the back-stab connectors.
- Make sure the plug is fully inserted into the outlet.
- Position the cord where it won't get snagged to pull the plug out.
- Eliminate situations where things could fall on the outlet.
- Use a protective cover if the risk cannot be avoided.

Orient the outlet however the inspector wants it, or what works best for
your situation or personal preference.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Old October 1st 16, 08:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/01/2016 10:53 AM, HerHusband wrote:

[snip]

https://www.amazon.com/MM410C-Weathe...or-Receptacle-
Protector/dp/B001JEPX44/ref=sr_1_1

The broken link led to a nice picture of a dog.

The receptacle cover should keep metal objects from falling in. At least
until someone gets tired of dealing with it and removes it.

[snip]

Old October 1st 16, 08:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/01/2016 10:12 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:
Mr. Safety explained :
Mr. Safety says use a recessed receptacle:

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-689-W.../dp/B0012DKBL2

Prevents 'wall warts' too.

There are those "power strip savers", 8-inch extension cords.

--
85 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Sin: A system devised by the sadistic to manipulate the brainless"
Old October 1st 16, 08:50 PM posted to alt.checkmate,alt.flame,alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 19:10:52 -0700, "Checkmate, DoW #1" wrote:
In article ,
says...

I'm thinking of putting it on a trailer and driving to
Washington state where I can park it on a certain vacant
lot in Yachats. LOL.

Just sail it 'round the Horn...

It would be easier to sail it around Canada since
Al Gore says there is no ice up there anymore due
to AGW.

LOL!

--

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

"It is my learned opinion that a man
should not mince words just to spare
the sensibilities of the thin-skinned
or the ignorant."
Old October 2nd 16, 12:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 1:32:11 PM UTC-5, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

What happens is a cord often gets yanked sideways putting stress on the outlet and the twisting motion plus vibration can work a cover screw loose. I've seen metal cover plates fall right off where the Bakelite plates shatter.. I like the nylon plates because they don't break. But a lot of problems can be eliminated if spacers are used on the screws behind the ears on the outlet to stabilize it by bringing it out far enough so the outlet cover is not under stress. The spacers are for sale in the electrical area of your local Lowe's Depot. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Screwy Monster
Old October 3rd 16, 02:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

IOn Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 10:15:03 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 3:28:16 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
Me and my fellow electricians repaired a lot of extension cords for the
other trades like carpenters who sawed their cords in half. If an
electrical accident can happen, it often does on a construction site.

Many years ago I spent 2 weeks in the woods, camping with a bunch of friends
and helping a friend build a large cabin on his land. He had a generator so
we had power tools. Sometime near the beginning of the build, someone told a
story about someone else cutting the cord on a circular saw. "Don't cut the
cord!" became sort of rallying cry for the trip. Very often, when someone
turned off a circular saw, someone would yell out "Don't cut the cord!". The
cry would echo from all over the build site, with various people yelling
"Don't cut the cord!", then "Don't cut the cord!", one after another until it
until it finally died out.

On the last day that I was there, guess what I did? Yep, I put the saw down
on the cord as the blade was still spinning and cut the cord. The generator
made a weird noise and just about everyone heard the saw make a noise as the
cord wrapped around the spindle.

It was silent for a second then someone from a far corner of the build site
called out "He cut the cord." The echo chant now changed from "Don't cut the
cord!" to "He cut the cord.", "He cut the cord.". The timing was perfect and
we ending up laughing so hard it hurt.

Cousin I-Cut-The-Cord Monster

Is there anyone here who has NOT cut the cord of his hedge trimmer?

Old October 3rd 16, 03:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 3, 2016 at 9:27:48 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:

Is there anyone here who has NOT cut the cord of his hedge trimmer?

I haven't. My hedge trimmer doesn't have it's own cord, just a plug built
into a recessed area of the handle. The socket end of an extension cord
connects directly to that plug and is held in by a molded hook.

Now ask me about cutting the *extension cord* with my hedge trimmer. ;-)