DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Home Repair (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/)
-   -   Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/402178-electrical-outlets-upside-down-code.html)

Mr. Farkle October 1st 16 01:48 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?
 
On 10/01/2016 07:27 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Me and my fellow electricians repaired a lot of extension cords for the other trades like carpenters who sawed their cords in half.


Couple years ago my employer got fined by OSHA for having repaired extension cords on the premise. Now when a cord is damaged, both the plug and receptacle must be cut off immediately to prevent use.


FromTheRafters October 1st 16 01:49 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?
 
Uncle Monster expressed precisely :
On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 10:56:30 AM UTC-5, FromTheRafters wrote:
HerHusband was thinking very hard :

and quoted someone without attribution.

I think they look stupid when they are upside down (ground on top). I
put them with ground on bottom because thats what I'm used to and what
looks best.


and then added

I agree, but I suppose that's due to the way we recognize faces in humans
and most animals. We are accustomed to seeing two eyes on top and a mouth
below. So we tend to see faces even in inanimate objects. When the ground
is placed on top, it just instinctively looks "wrong". At least that's my
theory...

Does that cloud look like an electrical outlet? :)


LOL

As an aside, one of the purported reasons I read for the ground-up
orientation was that children see a face and try to feed it a nice meal
of paperclips. I'm not entirely convinced of that myself, but there it
is. Two other reasons which made sense were that pictures mounted on
walls with metal wires, and the metal escutcheons on the receptacles
themselves are the perceived hazards.

Apparently none of those were compelling enough for NEC to jump on
board.

[...]


If the screw holding a metal outlet cover comes loose, the cover can fall
onto the hot and neutral as a plug is removed or is partially unplugged.
Whenever I installed receptacles, I install them ground up for a vertical
installation and neutral up for a horizontal installation. That's the way
I've done it, you can do it your way. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Outlet Monster


One person's metallic receptacle escutcheon is another's metal outlet
cover. They're both screwed if it is a shock hazard when becoming
unscrewed.

Bottom line, there is no NEC code and no proof yet of any local code
mandating either orientation, and evidence of both can be found in the
wild for plugs and receptacles. I suspect it is an inspector's
prerogative to mess with installation people by saying "It's code".

FromTheRafters October 1st 16 01:52 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?
 
Uncle Monster submitted this idea :
On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 12:57:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 13:47:40 -0400, FromTheRafters
wrote:

TimR formulated the question :
It has never made sense to me that the probability of something conductive
landing on the blades was high enough to be detectable. Of course it's
not that hard to do it however the inspector wants.

One problem with that is reading a KilloWatt meter.

European outlets don't have that problem. The pins are insulated halfway
such that the tips don't make contact until they're completely inside.
Ground is top AND bottom IIRC, and pins side by side.

I think the real issue, not yet mentioned, is that a child can plug in a
cord with his/her fingers on the blade. That is FAR more likely than
dropping a paperclip on it.

Oh yeah, that one too, but not just for children. The idea that the
thumb on top might contact the hot blade when plugging or unplugging.

Many possible reasons, but none compelling enough for NEC to mandate.


New Zealand may have a better idea on plugs and receptacles
The plugs have handles on them and the receptacle has a switch so you
can plug things in and turn them on after they are plugged in.
The switch is upside down by our standard tho.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/New%20Zeala...plug%20cap.jpg


Heck those folks are in the opposite hemisphere where everything is upside
down. They even drive on the wrong side of the road! o_O

[8~{} Uncle Upside Monster


http://www.kordking.com/products/pow...ight-angle.php

Mr. Safety October 1st 16 01:59 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?
 
Mr. Safety says use a recessed receptacle:

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-689-W.../dp/B0012DKBL2




Bob_Villa October 1st 16 02:32 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?
 
On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 8:00:07 AM UTC-5, Mr. Safety wrote:
Mr. Safety says use a recessed receptacle:

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-689-W.../dp/B0012DKBL2


Good choice Mr. Safety, but often there isn't enough room in the box to use it!

Mr. Safety October 1st 16 03:02 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?
 
On 10/01/2016 01:32 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 8:00:07 AM UTC-5, Mr. Safety wrote:
Mr. Safety says use a recessed receptacle:

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-689-W.../dp/B0012DKBL2

Good choice Mr. Safety, but often there isn't enough room in the box to use it!



When it comes to electrical safety, there are no 'short' cuts.


Demo the wall and put in a bigger box. While you're at it, put in a new entrance panel with AFCIs. It's for the kids!


Uncle Monster[_2_] October 1st 16 03:08 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?
 
On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 7:49:45 AM UTC-5, FromTheRafters wrote:
Uncle Monster expressed precisely :
On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 10:56:30 AM UTC-5, FromTheRafters wrote:
HerHusband was thinking very hard :

and quoted someone without attribution.

I think they look stupid when they are upside down (ground on top). I
put them with ground on bottom because thats what I'm used to and what
looks best.

and then added

I agree, but I suppose that's due to the way we recognize faces in humans
and most animals. We are accustomed to seeing two eyes on top and a mouth
below. So we tend to see faces even in inanimate objects. When the ground
is placed on top, it just instinctively looks "wrong". At least that's my
theory...

Does that cloud look like an electrical outlet? :)

LOL

As an aside, one of the purported reasons I read for the ground-up
orientation was that children see a face and try to feed it a nice meal
of paperclips. I'm not entirely convinced of that myself, but there it
is. Two other reasons which made sense were that pictures mounted on
walls with metal wires, and the metal escutcheons on the receptacles
themselves are the perceived hazards.

Apparently none of those were compelling enough for NEC to jump on
board.

[...]


If the screw holding a metal outlet cover comes loose, the cover can fall
onto the hot and neutral as a plug is removed or is partially unplugged.
Whenever I installed receptacles, I install them ground up for a vertical
installation and neutral up for a horizontal installation. That's the way
I've done it, you can do it your way. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Outlet Monster


One person's metallic receptacle escutcheon is another's metal outlet
cover. They're both screwed if it is a shock hazard when becoming
unscrewed.

Bottom line, there is no NEC code and no proof yet of any local code
mandating either orientation, and evidence of both can be found in the
wild for plugs and receptacles. I suspect it is an inspector's
prerogative to mess with installation people by saying "It's code".


It is, the inspectors in Birmingham want the ground pin up but the next city over, the electrical inspector doesn't care about the sexual orientation of the outlet. Something to do with a Supreme Court decision. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Plugged Monster

DerbyDad03 October 1st 16 03:14 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?
 
On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 3:28:16 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
Me and my fellow electricians repaired a lot of extension cords for the
other trades like carpenters who sawed their cords in half. If an
electrical accident can happen, it often does on a construction site.


Many years ago I spent 2 weeks in the woods, camping with a bunch of friends
and helping a friend build a large cabin on his land. He had a generator so
we had power tools. Sometime near the beginning of the build, someone told a
story about someone else cutting the cord on a circular saw. "Don't cut the
cord!" became sort of rallying cry for the trip. Very often, when someone
turned off a circular saw, someone would yell out "Don't cut the cord!". The
cry would echo from all over the build site, with various people yelling
"Don't cut the cord!", then "Don't cut the cord!", one after another until it
until it finally died out.

On the last day that I was there, guess what I did? Yep, I put the saw down
on the cord as the blade was still spinning and cut the cord. The generator
made a weird noise and just about everyone heard the saw make a noise as the
cord wrapped around the spindle.

It was silent for a second then someone from a far corner of the build site
called out "He cut the cord." The echo chant now changed from "Don't cut the
cord!" to "He cut the cord.", "He cut the cord.". The timing was perfect and
we ending up laughing so hard it hurt.

Cousin I-Cut-The-Cord Monster



FromTheRafters October 1st 16 04:12 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?
 
Mr. Safety explained :
Mr. Safety says use a recessed receptacle:

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-689-W.../dp/B0012DKBL2


Prevents 'wall warts' too.

FromTheRafters October 1st 16 04:21 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?
 
Uncle Monster wrote :
On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 7:49:45 AM UTC-5, FromTheRafters wrote:
Uncle Monster expressed precisely :
On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 10:56:30 AM UTC-5, FromTheRafters wrote:
HerHusband was thinking very hard :

and quoted someone without attribution.

I think they look stupid when they are upside down (ground on top). I
put them with ground on bottom because thats what I'm used to and what
looks best.

and then added

I agree, but I suppose that's due to the way we recognize faces in humans
and most animals. We are accustomed to seeing two eyes on top and a mouth
below. So we tend to see faces even in inanimate objects. When the ground
is placed on top, it just instinctively looks "wrong". At least that's my
theory...

Does that cloud look like an electrical outlet? :)

LOL

As an aside, one of the purported reasons I read for the ground-up
orientation was that children see a face and try to feed it a nice meal
of paperclips. I'm not entirely convinced of that myself, but there it
is. Two other reasons which made sense were that pictures mounted on
walls with metal wires, and the metal escutcheons on the receptacles
themselves are the perceived hazards.

Apparently none of those were compelling enough for NEC to jump on
board.

[...]

If the screw holding a metal outlet cover comes loose, the cover can fall
onto the hot and neutral as a plug is removed or is partially unplugged.
Whenever I installed receptacles, I install them ground up for a vertical
installation and neutral up for a horizontal installation. That's the way
I've done it, you can do it your way. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Outlet Monster


One person's metallic receptacle escutcheon is another's metal outlet
cover. They're both screwed if it is a shock hazard when becoming
unscrewed.

Bottom line, there is no NEC code and no proof yet of any local code
mandating either orientation, and evidence of both can be found in the
wild for plugs and receptacles. I suspect it is an inspector's
prerogative to mess with installation people by saying "It's code".


It is, the inspectors in Birmingham want the ground pin up but the next city
over, the electrical inspector doesn't care about the sexual orientation of
the outlet. Something to do with a Supreme Court decision. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Plugged Monster


What about the mens rooms, do they have to have prongs sticking out of
the walls so that they feel comfortable?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2014 DIYbanter