Old January 9th 19, 03:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On 1/9/2019 9:48 AM, trader_4 wrote:

But to me, the obvious thing is that the vast majority
of receptacles are installed ground pin down. In my experience, I'd
say it's 99%+. It's rather odd if there was an intention they be put
in the other way due to the safety issue, that so many electricians
are doing it wrong. Also, so many safety things are specified in the
code, but nothing on this.

One electrical inspector in the town where I worked, wanted pin up in
the office. He had a thing about paper clips falling across the plug
blades.

In my new house, just built a couple of months ago, the receptacle in
each room that is controlled by a switch has pin up and the top is
switched, the bottom is not. Makes it easy to find the right one.
Old January 9th 19, 03:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 10:09:40 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/9/2019 9:48 AM, trader_4 wrote:

But to me, the obvious thing is that the vast majority
of receptacles are installed ground pin down. In my experience, I'd
say it's 99%+. It's rather odd if there was an intention they be put
in the other way due to the safety issue, that so many electricians
are doing it wrong. Also, so many safety things are specified in the
code, but nothing on this.

One electrical inspector in the town where I worked, wanted pin up in
the office. He had a thing about paper clips falling across the plug
blades.

In my new house, just built a couple of months ago, the receptacle in
each room that is controlled by a switch has pin up and the top is
switched, the bottom is not. Makes it easy to find the right one.

That's a system. You'd think by now there would be some universal
ID that you could use on receptacles to mark switched, but I've never
seen any. Just a simple little piece of green tape on the half that
is switched would work, but I never thought about doing it until now.
It would be most useful in a new house, where you're not sure what's
what and have to plug in a lot of stuff. Would be nice if that convention
could be followed by electricians.
Old January 9th 19, 04:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 07:25:37 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

I mark the switched side with a red sharpie.
Old January 9th 19, 06:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/19 12:47 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

[snip]

On a Legrand Decora outlet the "legrand" logo is readable only with
the grount TO THE RIGHT.

Finding text unreadable because of orientation is a serious limitation.

[snip]

Old January 9th 19, 06:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/19 7:37 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

It's rather odd that if that was the intent, that 99% are installed
with the ground prong down in the USA and passed inspection. That's
my survey from traveling widely in the USA, it's rare to find one
with the ground prong up. Why are almost all electricians doing
it wrong?

I find ground up in most hospitals and medical facilities (except older
ones).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"It is from the Bible that man has learned cruelty, rapine and murder;
for the belief of a cruel God makes a cruel man." -- Thomas Paine
Old January 9th 19, 06:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/19 9:25 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

That's a system. You'd think by now there would be some universal
ID that you could use on receptacles to mark switched, but I've never
seen any. Just a simple little piece of green tape on the half that
is switched would work, but I never thought about doing it until now.
It would be most useful in a new house, where you're not sure what's
what and have to plug in a lot of stuff. Would be nice if that convention
could be followed by electricians.

I have a receptacle where both halves are (separately) switched. One
side is marked with red tape, the other with green tape. The receptacle
is meant to be used for Christmas lights.