DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/402178-electrical-outlets-upside-down-code.html)

Louie May 2nd 18 12:19 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On 04/05/2018 07:01 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 22:14:01 GMT, im2oldBob
m wrote:

replying to hrhofmann, im2oldBob wrote:
In a textbook, Electric Wiring Residential 15th edition based on 2005 National
Electrical Code by Ray C Mullen. ISBN1-4018-5019-. Mr. Mullen addresses the
subject. Mr. Mullen' advocates, that while not a code requirement that the
ground ( U blade) should be up for the reason that conductive items falling
would encounter the ground first, or at least fall across either one of the
conductors and the U blade if the conductor was positive then a shunt trip
would occur. Note; this is not an exact quote.

The only "book" that counts is the National Electrical Code and it is
silent on the issue.
If you look long enough you will find people arguing the opposite
case. When a plug loosens and starts falling out, ground down assures
the ground connection is the last to break.
Neither are a significant enough reason to drive a code change.

Regardless of orientation, when a plug starts falling out of a receptacle, it's time to replace the receptacle.

sam F June 7th 18 05:14 AM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

replying to trader_4, sam F wrote:
receptacles are UL listed with the ground 'up', that is the proper way to
install one...

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1110235-.htm

[email protected] June 7th 18 05:43 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 04:14:12 GMT, sam F
m wrote:

replying to trader_4, sam F wrote:
receptacles are UL listed with the ground 'up', that is the proper way to
install one...

Bull****. The code and U/L are both silent about how you orient a
receptacle.

Uncle Monster[_2_] June 7th 18 06:23 PM

m wrote:

replying to trader_4, sam F wrote:
receptacles are UL listed with the ground 'up', that is the proper way to
install one...

Bull****. The code and U/L are both silent about how you orient a
receptacle.

When I worked as an electrician on Army Core Of Engineers jobs, the Core wanted the ground hole on receptacles oriented where it was at the top. On horizontal receptacles, they wanted the neutral at the top. One thing they were worried about was ceiling tie wires falling against a plug that was pulled out a bit exposing the prongs. There must have been more than one instance of a tie wire causing fireworks when it fell against a plug that was hanging out. My personal preference is ground hole up because it's easier for me to insert a plug because I use the ground pin as a guide. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Zapped Monster

jew pedophile Ron Jacobson (jew pedophile Baruch 'Barry' Shein's jew aliash)[_2_] June 7th 18 09:37 PM

TOM R, DUMBASS AT LARGE, AXES ABOUT "Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?"

On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 10:53:57 -0700, "fake vet Scatboi Colon La Edmund
J. Burke" wrote:

On 9/28/2016 6:18 PM, TomR wrote:
A friend of mine asked me today why the electrical outlets in my house were "upside down".* They are positioned with the ground pin hole at the top and the two slots of the outlet on the bottom.* I agree that, to me, they "look" like they are upside down, and I think they would "look" better with the ground pin hole on the bottom.* But, my belief is that the National Electrical Code (NEC) is silent on this question and that there is no right or wrong orientation for electrical outlets.

My friend said that he has had code enforcement officials tell him that electrical outlets with the ground pin hole on top were "upside down" and that they needed to be reversed to be with the ground pin on the bottom to pass the electrical inspection.

Is there anything in the NEC that says that one way is "upside down" and the other way is the "correct" orientation?

Yer friend's code enforcement officials are probably a bunch of banana-munchin' porch monkeys with not even the least idea of proper code.
If ya had any sense, you'd know the ground pin always goes on the top. This is a safety precaution. Say someone were to drop a metal item onto the pins carrying the load. You'd have an instant fire which even the most modern fire department could probably not extinguish.

I hope that clears up any further ignorance on your part...

What a load of ****e. I hope nobody listens to yer dumb 'advice', ya
stupid moulie!

- -

Arizona."
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), acknowledging that he lied

" My real name's McGill. The jew thing I just do for the homeboys.
They all want a pipe hitting member of the tribe, so to speak."
- Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk). "Better Call Saul" (2015)

"Die Juden sind unser Unglück!"
- Heinrich von Treitschke (1834 - 1896)

ass?"
- Klaun ****tinb'ricks (1940 - ), bemoaning the depletion of jews
Peeler[_2_] June 7th 18 11:01 PM

Everyone KEEPS having Endless Fun Beating the Shit out of Poor Helpless Gay Goran Razovic! LOL

On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 13:37:33 -0700, serbian bitch Razovic, the resident
Shein's jew aliash)", farted again:

Yer friend's code enforcement officials are probably a bunch of
banana-munchin' porch monkeys with not even the least idea of proper
code. If ya had any sense, you'd know the ground pin always goes on the
top. This is a safety precaution. Say someone were to drop a metal
item onto the pins carrying the load. You'd have an instant fire which
even the most modern fire department could probably not extinguish.

I hope that clears up any further ignorance on your part...

What a load of ****e. I hope nobody listens to yer dumb 'advice', ya
stupid moulie!

Actually it's a valid and generally accepted explanation, though there are
no hard rules, you illiterate dreckserb!

--
serb bitch Razovic, the ridiculous "Brit" and "WASP" wannabe, correcting
British posters' CORRECT English over at uk.rec.cars.maintenance:

[email protected] June 8th 18 12:44 AM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

m wrote:

[...]

The point is the U/L and NFPA (the NEC) are both silent on this
When in doubt, install one of these and make everyone happy
https://cloudfront.zoro.com/product/...3_wu_fo5oy.JPG

Uncle Monster[_2_] June 8th 18 01:45 AM

m wrote:

[...]

That'll work. I think I actually have one of those around somewhere. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Outlet Monster

Oren[_2_] June 8th 18 06:18 PM

om wrote:

replying to trader_4, sam F wrote:
receptacles are UL listed with the ground 'up', that is the proper way to
install one...

Bull****. The code and U/L are both silent about how you orient a
receptacle.

Pic:

https://cdn.trendhunterstatic.com/thumbs/funny-decal.jpeg

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= June 8th 18 09:45 PM

Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

posted for all of us...

m wrote:

replying to trader_4, sam F wrote:
receptacles are UL listed with the ground 'up', that is the proper way to
install one...

Bull****. The code and U/L are both silent about how you orient a
receptacle.

This topic seems to make it's bi-monthly appearance...

--
Tekkie