Old April 6th 18, 04:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 19:01:51 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 22:14:01 GMT, im2oldBob
om wrote:

replying to hrhofmann, im2oldBob wrote:
In a textbook, Electric Wiring Residential 15th edition based on 2005 National
Electrical Code by Ray C Mullen. ISBN1-4018-5019-. Mr. Mullen addresses the
subject. Mr. Mullen' advocates, that while not a code requirement that the
ground ( U blade) should be up for the reason that conductive items falling
would encounter the ground first, or at least fall across either one of the
conductors and the U blade if the conductor was positive then a shunt trip
would occur. Note; this is not an exact quote.

The only "book" that counts is the National Electrical Code and it is
silent on the issue.
If you look long enough you will find people arguing the opposite
case. When a plug loosens and starts falling out, ground down assures
the ground connection is the last to break.
Neither are a significant enough reason to drive a code change.

Install them any way you like. The code allows both ways. I personally
like the traditional way of putting the ground on the bottom. Wehn I
moved into my house, I had 2 outlets with the ground on top. That drove
me crazy. At least make them all the same in the same home. (I finally
rotated those two).

Old April 6th 18, 07:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

[email protected] com wrote:

[...]

This has been an item of discussion and dissagreement for several
years. Traditionally american style 2 terminal (grounded) outlets have
been installed ground down.
There is also something of a tradition of "switched" outlets being
installed ground side up.

The ground down tradition has pretty well mandated that right angle
plugs have the terminals oriented so that the cable, when plugged into
the oputlet, runs DOWN the wall so gravity aids inkeeping the plug
installed rather than trying to pull it out, as it cones off the top
of the plug..

Non grounded polarized plugs are also trtaditionally installed with
the large (neutral) blade on the left.

Just install one of these and be done with it.

https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/6C567_AS01?$mdmain$

Yeah, that's the ticket. Use this as your universal response for this never
ending question.

--
Tekkie

Old April 7th 18, 12:03 AM posted to alt.home.repair

[email protected] com wrote:

[...]

The first one I ever saw was from Jim Pawley (VP SqD) at an inspector
seminar. It always gets a laugh and points out the silliness of the
debate.
Old April 21st 18, 07:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Clare Snyder, Barman wrote:
I had a case where the inspector insisted I rotate all the outlets so that
ground was down, my argument was if I had the outlets mounted horizontally
(eg. kitchen backsplash) what direction would he want the ground.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1110235-.htm

Old April 21st 18, 08:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 18:44:04 GMT, Barman
m wrote:

replying to Clare Snyder, Barman wrote:
I had a case where the inspector insisted I rotate all the outlets so that
ground was down, my argument was if I had the outlets mounted horizontally
(eg. kitchen backsplash) what direction would he want the ground.

If the inspector is that anal he'll want the ground to the left
(neutral up)