Old October 5th 16, 03:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

In ,
bob haller typed:
On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 9:18:14 PM UTC-4, TomR wrote:
A friend of mine asked me today why the electrical outlets in my
house were "upside down". They are positioned with the ground pin
hole at the top and the two slots of the outlet on the bottom. I
agree that, to me, they "look" like they are upside down, and I
think they would "look" better with the ground pin hole on the
bottom. But, my belief is that the National Electrical Code (NEC)
is silent on this question and that there is no right or wrong
orientation for electrical outlets.

My friend said that he has had code enforcement officials tell him
that electrical outlets with the ground pin hole on top were "upside
down" and that they needed to be reversed to be with the ground pin
on the bottom to pass the electrical inspection.

Is there anything in the NEC that says that one way is "upside down"
and the other way is the "correct" orientation?

homes in florida often have outlets in the same home orientated both
ways

ground pin down for always on, ground pin up for switched outlets

I wonder why that would be the criteria for ground pin up vs. down.

Old October 5th 16, 03:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 10:28:37 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

[...]

It is just done as a way to identify switched outlets. On a "half hot"
the bottom one is switched.
Old October 5th 16, 08:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
bob haller wrote:

[...]

I have two switched outlets. One has ground pin down with the switch on
top. Left is off, right is on.

The other is horizontal. The switch is on the left, outlet on the right
so ground pin is to the right. Down is off, up is on.

The outlet for my washing machine was installed when my house was
renovated 15 years ago. The ground pin was up, but the power cord
plugged in "upside down". I eventually got tired of looking at the cord
folding over and rotated the outlet.

All of the other outlets were installed with the ground pin down. This
includes the separately switched garbage disposal outlet under the sink.

Fred
in Florida
Old October 5th 16, 08:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller:

Understand the reasoning behind it, but I think
it would make sense the other way round:

Always on: Ground pin up
Switched: pin down.

Old October 5th 16, 08:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 04 Oct 2016, bob haller wrote in
alt.home.repair:

homes in florida often have outlets in the same home orientated
both ways

ground pin down for always on, ground pin up for switched outlets

That's the first good reason I've heard here for doing it one way over
the other. I'm tempted to turn some of the outlets in my house around
like that!
Old October 5th 16, 09:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 15:18:40 -0400, Nil
wrote:

ground pin down for always on, ground pin up for switched outlets

That's the first good reason I've heard here for doing it one way over
the other. I'm tempted to turn some of the outlets in my house around
like that!

Its been stated here many times, people keep wanting a citation to a
code or to debate an inspector.

My cave my rules
Old October 6th 16, 02:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair

It happens that Oren formulated :
wrote:

ground pin down for always on, ground pin up for switched outlets

That's the first good reason I've heard here for doing it one way over
the other. I'm tempted to turn some of the outlets in my house around
like that!

Its been stated here many times, people keep wanting a citation to a
code or to debate an inspector.

My cave my rules

And if they want to come turn them upside down again by force, let 'em
try - I still have a gun to defend my castle.

Seems a lot like the old Lilliputian big endian little endian conflict.
Old October 6th 16, 03:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/05/2016 02:00 PM, wrote:
bob haller:

Understand the reasoning behind it, but I think
it would make sense the other way round:

Always on: Ground pin up
Switched: pin down.

Is there some reason for that, other than it would mean most of the
receptacles would be ground-up.

Also, how would you install a duplex receptacle where only one side is
switched?

--
80 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The cosmos is interesting rather than perfect, and everything is not
part of some greater plan, nor is all necessarily under control."
[Starhawk]
Old October 6th 16, 03:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/05/2016 03:27 PM, Neill Massello wrote:

[snip]

To me, the whole ground on top thing smacks of safety theater. Exposed
prongs are a safety hazard no matter what the plug's orientation.
Putting the ground on top just makes is slightly harder to insert a plug
into the outlet.

Why would it be harder? Either way, you have to orient the plug in a
certain way.

I suspect it's just the "the way it is is best" fallacy.