Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is there any way to play a MP3 player thru Auto CD Player

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 10:06:10 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 18:32:10 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

AMC used a lot weird stuff. I was never sure if they designed their
vehicles around other manufacturer's parts or if they designed their
vehicles first and then found parts to fit ;-)

If I recall correctly, there was more than one starter listed for my '66
Ambassador 990, each with a different bolt pattern.

My favorite: The vacuum booster pump cap for the fuel pump to keep the
windshield wiper speed fairly constant while accelerating. My booster pump
died so I just bypassed it. Getting on the expressway during a rainstorm
was always an adventure. Thank God for Rain-X!

I had a couple AMCs, a 72 Jeep when they owned the brand and a 71
Gremlin, I got as a gift (AKA broke down in my driveway and
abandoned). The Gremlin had that 232ci 6 that fouled the #5 plug about
every 2000 miles. You could just clean it and put it right back in. A
new one fouled just about as fast. I got to the point where I could
swap the plug at a long light. I kept a handful in the glove
compartment. It was basically a POS car but I still put 50,000 miles
on it and sold it for $500. I tossed the factory radio right away and
put in a JIL AM/FM/8 track, CB.
I do think they cobbled together a lot of off the shelf parts. The
transmission was a Borg Warner, Ignition was Delco but the engines
were AMC.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/gremlin2.jpg

This isn't mine, but it's the same car, same color:

http://www.automotivetimelines.com/c...% 20Photo.jpg

My favorite feature was the "Lay Down Rambler" seats. Again, not my car.

https://walkingwithstefan.files.word...pg?w=549&h=308

Delbert McClinton B-Movie Boxcar Blues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVxorhmYADc

Next I caught a ride with a gambler's wife
She had a brand new lay down Rambler
She parked outside of town
And laid the rambler down
And said she sure could dig it if I rode her
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 04:42:50 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

I've never understood the reason for a remote control in a car stereo. All
of the controls are at my reach on the head unit already.

I suppose it could be handy if you're in the back seat with your sweetie.

I have no intention to get a smartphone, based on the cost.
My prepaid Tracfone is all I need.

You might check out Tracfone's latest offerings. I have Tracfone too and
upgraded to an LG Ultimate 2 L41C last year. It may not be bleeding edge
stuff but it's certainly smart enough for my needs. Sure beats the old flip
phone.

I have my Tracfone, and actually have to make some "regular calls"
or I accumulate too many minutes.

Yeah, I've got 100's of voice minutes that I never use, and Tracfone
doesn't make it easy to just buy service hours. So I end up adding minutes
every year when I don't need them just so I can add service time.

I do hope they have exceeded the 4gb limit though.

I haven't tried it, but I think it will accept a larger drive, it just
won't access more than 4GB.

In any case, that's hundreds of songs and hours of music. Unless you're
taking a road trip, you won't be able to listen to all of the songs on the
drive.

One thing I still dont understand is how to determine what stereos
will fit in my 1996 Plymouth Voyager.

Amazon sells an install kit (adapter plate) for your car for single DIN
radios. So any single DIN stereo should fit, given enough depth behind the
dash (you would probably need to remove the old stereo and measure it, then
compare the new stereo's specifications).

Thanks for all your help!

No problem. I'm happy to help.

Anthony Watson

I dont understand the need for a remote control either. I just hope if
it comes with a remote, it dont lack the controls on the stereo itself
like a lot of tvs do these days. If I misplace my tv remote, all I can
do is turn it on and off from the set itself. Cant change volume or
channels or anything else. Real annoying....

I have about 5gb of songs stored on my computer, and copied to another
portable drive (backup). That is a lot of music. I have not heard all of
them. So, a 4gb flash drive would work just fine. I have another 1gb of
music I ripped from my own CDs as a backup, but they are not in MP3. But
as soon as I get software to convert them, I can add those too. Either
way, one 8 or 16gb flash drive will hold everything I own, and still
have room to spare.

One of these days I might get a new Tracfone, but I am not looking
forward to that day, when I will have to retype about 260 contacts from
my contact list. Otherwise I may have replaced that phone already, since
most of the numbers are worn off the keys and I've had to replace the
battery twice now, and the battery costs as much as a new flip phone.

As far as getting more features, I dont need them, and probably dont
even want to have to learn them. Just like computers, all they keep
doing is making them harder to use, yet add nothing useful, which is why
I stick with Windows XP, and have no intention to upgrade.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 18:32:10 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 8:30:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 04:18:44 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

That reminds me of the time I tried to replace the mono radio in my
1966 lay-down Rambler with an after-market stereo AM/FM/Cassette unit.
Imagine my surprise when I opened up the dashboard and found that AMC
had used a radio with the face on the "bottom" and installed the radio
"standing up". Let's call it a vertical radio instead of your standard
horizontal radio.
http://i19.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/cf/a9/5a2f_35.JPG

I worked as a car stereo installer back in the late 80's or early 90's. I
saw a lot of weird radio configurations, but that's one I never saw before.
Very interesting!

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Lots of AMCs also used a vertical dial. Nothing like the round dial
in a mid-fifties ford.

AMC used a lot weird stuff. I was never sure if they designed their
vehicles around other manufacturer's parts or if they designed their
vehicles first and then found parts to fit ;-)

If I recall correctly, there was more than one starter listed for my '66
Ambassador 990, each with a different bolt pattern.

Depends on the engine - They did use Prestolite and Delco Remy -
possibly both on the same engine. I worked for an AMC dealer for a
short time in the early seventies.

My favorite: The vacuum booster pump cap for the fuel pump to keep the
windshield wiper speed fairly constant while accelerating. My booster pump
died so I just bypassed it. Getting on the expressway during a rainstorm
was always an adventure. Thank God for Rain-X!

Chevy did the same on their low end models up until the late
fifties.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 20:05:32 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 09/27/2016 07:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
AMC used a lot weird stuff. I was never sure if they designed their
vehicles around other manufacturer's parts or if they designed their
vehicles first and then found parts to fit ;-)

For a while the family ride was a '62 Rambler Classic and that's what I
did most of my learning to drive on. My father had fallen for George
Romney's practical car pitch and that it had 15" wheels when the
industry was going to 14's. Never cared much for Romney's after that
trauma. I was happy when it was replaced by a '65 Dodge although I would
have been a lot happier with a '65 Mustang.

They designed the cars and found parts to fit - in most cases.
Design adaptations were dictated by the available parts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I missed the original posting....

Years ago when stores started advertsing player for CDs and MP3s, I got one and it never worked for me. Ended up using Nero to convert MP3 to audio format and burning on CDs. That's still the easiest way for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
writes:

I missed the original posting....

Years ago when stores started advertsing player for CDs and MP3s, I
got one and it never worked for me. Ended up using Nero to convert
MP3 to audio format and burning on CDs. That's still the easiest way
for me.

Should have found out why your MP3s didn't work.
Recent tests are giving me about 170 tracks per CD in MP3
format, vs. about 12 in audio format.

That's a big difference.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, those vacuum wipers...sucked. g

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

You think vacuum wipers sucked, you want to experience a vacuum
fuel pump (like on my old '28 Chevy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 10:20:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 15:58:58 -0400, Tekkie®

posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

Whoosh!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/02/2016 06:30 AM, Tekkie® wrote:
posted for all of us...

You think vacuum wipers sucked, you want to experience a vacuum
fuel pump (like on my old '28 Chevy

Never came across one of them. They must have been great while starting.

http://wiki.bssd.org/index.php/Diaphragm_Fuel_Pumps

They aren't vacuum only since they're tapped into the two-stroke's
crankcase but they work. A lot of bikes with gravity feed fuel systems
have a vacuum operated petcock. Usually there's enough fuel in the float
bowl to get the engine running. If not, the petcock has a 'prime'
position to manually allow fuel flow.

I had a '62 Continental where many of the functions like the heating
system were vacuum operated. That was a joy when they started failing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 08:30:30 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

posted for all of us...

You think vacuum wipers sucked, you want to experience a vacuum
fuel pump (like on my old '28 Chevy

Never came across one of them. They must have been great while starting.

No problem unless you ran out of gas. Basically a #40 juice can on
the firewall that gravity fed the carb. When the level in the can
dropped, a valve mechanism applied vacuum from the manifold to the
fuel line to suck more gas into the can. When the float in the can
came to the top it switched off the vacuum to the fuel line - repeat
every minute or so depending on fuel demand. (somewhat simplified).
Stewart was one common brand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

Stewart was one common brand.