DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Burning plastic smell from outlet in a mobile home (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/401687-burning-plastic-smell-outlet-mobile-home.html)

Brandy Celestin September 17th 16 06:14 PM

Burning plastic smell from outlet in a mobile home

Yesterday we had a burning plastic smell from an outlet. We shut off power at
the breaker and took off the outlet. It was black inside the outlet. We cut
off the "burnt" tips of the wires and stripped them down. There were two wires
coming in from right into the outlet and one wire heading out the left from
the outlet. How do we connect the wires to bypass the outlet and restore power
to the rest of the circuit?

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...me-903745-.htm

John G[_8_] September 17th 16 06:37 PM

Burning plastic smell from outlet in a mobile home

Yesterday we had a burning plastic smell from an outlet. We shut off power at
the breaker and took off the outlet. It was black inside the outlet. We cut
off the "burnt" tips of the wires and stripped them down. There were two wires
coming in from right into the outlet and one wire heading out the left from
the outlet. How do we connect the wires to bypass the outlet and restore power
to the rest of the circuit?

Splice the white wires together and add a pigtail. Splice the black wires together and add a pigtail. If the ground wires are not already spliced and pigtailed, do it. Put the pigtails on the replacement outlet. By pigtailing, the outlet is no longer carrying the full load of the circuit and the rest of the circuit will not fail if the new outlet goes bad.

Were the original connections on the burnt outlet pushed into the back of the outlet or were they on the side screws?

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

TomR[_3_] September 17th 16 07:40 PM

Burning plastic smell from outlet in a mobile home

In ,
John G typed:
[...]

The impression I got was that he just wanted to reconnect things for now
without replacing the outlet.

He wasn't very clear about exactly what is there now -- 3 wires, 2 on one
side, one on the other side.

I'm thinking maybe he could wire nut the 2 wires on one side together, wire
nut or cap the other wire, and not replace the outlet until later. But, I'm
not sure.

Ed Pawlowski September 17th 16 08:04 PM

Burning plastic smell from outlet in a mobile home

On 9/17/2016 2:40 PM, TomR wrote:
In ,
John G typed:
[...]

What I did not see yet was finding the reason for the burning smell.
The receptacle was a pass through device but the actual overload may
have been downstream and may still exist. It may just move the problem
to another location.

If the receptacle was just sitting in a box for years it is unlikely it
would just heat and burn, but a load sure could affect it.

Oren[_2_] September 17th 16 09:36 PM

On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 15:04:15 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

What I did not see yet was finding the reason for the burning smell.
The receptacle was a pass through device but the actual overload may
have been downstream and may still exist. It may just move the problem
to another location.

If the receptacle was just sitting in a box for years it is unlikely it
would just heat and burn, but a load sure could affect it.

Is this aluminum wire in a Mobile home?

John G[_8_] September 18th 16 12:48 AM

[...]

Tom you are right. I did not think about the fact that it is a mobile home. They do not always have standard electrical boxes. In some instances the device and electrical box are one unit, in which case pigtailing would not be a viable solution.

To the OP, how about posting some pictures somewhere?

[email protected] September 18th 16 11:13 AM

Burning plastic smell from outlet in a mobile home

On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 16:48:18 -0700 (PDT), John G
wrote:

Tom you are right. I did not think about the fact that it is a mobile home.
They do not always have standard electrical boxes. In some instances the
device and electrical box are one unit, in which case pigtailing would not
be a viable solution.

To the OP, how about posting some pictures somewhere?

There is also the possibility it has aluminum wiring......

Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_16_] September 18th 16 03:15 PM

On 9/17/2016 10:37 AM, John G wrote:

Yesterday we had a burning plastic smell from an outlet. We shut off power at
the breaker and took off the outlet. It was black inside the outlet. We cut
off the "burnt" tips of the wires and stripped them down. There were two wires
coming in from right into the outlet and one wire heading out the left from
the outlet. How do we connect the wires to bypass the outlet and restore power
to the rest of the circuit?

Splice the white wires together and add a pigtail. Splice the black wires together and add a pigtail. If the ground wires are not already spliced and pigtailed, do it. Put the pigtails on the replacement outlet. By pigtailing, the outlet is no longer carrying the full load of the circuit and the rest of the circuit will not fail if the new outlet goes bad.

I like girls in pigtails........