Posted to alt.home.repair

Default SPAX Multi-Material Screws vs. Standard Wood Screws

I was in HD yesterday looking for #8 wood screws in 2.5" or 3" lengths. They
did not carry those lengths in anything other than the "2 packs" ($1.18 ea)
so the clerk suggested these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SPAX-8-x-...0606/202041007

I should note that the website shows "Full Thread" for those screws, but in
the 2.5" length the actual product on the shelf has about 1/2" of
unthreaded shaft. (Same SKU, different screw)

They are slightly more expensive than the same size package of standard
wood screws would have been, but way cheaper than buying a boatload of the
2 packs at $1.18 each.

BTW I'm not asking for a source for #8 2.5" wood screws, I'm just curious
about how the multi-material construction screws would work in place of
wood screws. I would never trust the "no need to predrill" claim for
anything that I cared about, but other than that, would there be a problem
using these screws in wood?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 9:43:45 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Definitely not...they should work perfectly. And, I think you also knew the answer...you don't strike me as being ignorant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Reminds me of some pointless thing micky would come up with!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 8:30:27 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
[...]

Interesting response. Also interesting is how a few intelligent members of
another usenet group offered some real world experience with SPAX screws, including the benefits of and some gotchas to look out for.

You want to talk about pointless things? We could talk about both of your

Moving on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 7:43:25 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

....just rattling your cage. You'll note I behave myself *there*...because everyone is congenial and non-political.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote

| BTW I'm not asking for a source for #8 2.5" wood screws, I'm just curious
| about how the multi-material construction screws would work in place of
| wood screws. I would never trust the "no need to predrill" claim for
| anything that I cared about, but other than that, would there be a problem
| using these screws in wood?

I never use wood screws. Those are for the old
days, when holes were drilled by hand. What you're
looking at is what I think of as sheet metal screws.
I use coarse thread drywall screws for most purposes.
The same thing coated for outside. They're similar
to sheet metal screws. Buying those in 5# boxes, I
don't usually need to buy small bags of screws.

I don't pre-drill for most purposes. Drywall, framing,
cabinet work.... usually I just drive them because
they're thing enough not to crack the wood. But they
have low shear strength, so there are some places
I don't use them.
Today I was building stairs with a railing. I used
coated "construction screws" (basically #8 drywall
screws) to attach fir ballusters to PT horizontals.
Those I do predrill. Not the PT, but the fir.