DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Peeling eggs (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/396527-peeling-eggs.html)

Zhenya Solovyov July 5th 16 12:17 AM

Peeling eggs

Neighbor is giving me free eggs from his chickens.
Shell is very thin.

Any tricks for peeling egg shells without destroying the egg when the
shell is very thin?

Terry Coombs[_2_] July 5th 16 02:02 AM

Peeling eggs

Zhenya Solovyov wrote:
Neighbor is giving me free eggs from his chickens.
Shell is very thin.

Any tricks for peeling egg shells without destroying the egg when the
shell is very thin?

For very fresh eggs , drop them GENTLY into a pan of boiling water
(slotted spoon) , when done move them into a pan of ice water . The thermal
shock will loosen the shell so it can be removed with minimum damage .

--
Snag

Ed Pawlowski July 5th 16 02:38 AM

Peeling eggs

On 7/4/2016 9:02 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Zhenya Solovyov wrote:
Neighbor is giving me free eggs from his chickens.
Shell is very thin.

Any tricks for peeling egg shells without destroying the egg when the
shell is very thin?

For very fresh eggs , drop them GENTLY into a pan of boiling water
(slotted spoon) , when done move them into a pan of ice water . The thermal
shock will loosen the shell so it can be removed with minimum damage .

Exactly. If you put the eggs in water and then bring it to a boil they
will be harder to peel I also roll the egg on the counter to break up
the shell all over, then peel.

Gordon Shumway July 5th 16 03:00 AM

Peeling eggs

On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 20:02:26 -0500, "Terry Coombs" wrote:

Zhenya Solovyov wrote:
Neighbor is giving me free eggs from his chickens.
Shell is very thin.

Any tricks for peeling egg shells without destroying the egg when the
shell is very thin?

For very fresh eggs , drop them GENTLY into a pan of boiling water
(slotted spoon) , when done move them into a pan of ice water . The thermal
shock will loosen the shell so it can be removed with minimum damage .

My, my. Aren't you the Julia Child of the group. ;-)

Dean Hoffman[_12_] July 5th 16 03:12 AM

Peeling eggs

On 7/4/16 6:17 PM, Zhenya Solovyov wrote:
Neighbor is giving me free eggs from his chickens.
Shell is very thin.

Any tricks for peeling egg shells without destroying the egg when the
shell is very thin?

NaCl in the H2O. Salt the water.

Terry Coombs[_2_] July 5th 16 03:21 AM

Peeling eggs

wrote:

Zhenya Solovyov wrote:
Neighbor is giving me free eggs from his chickens.
Shell is very thin.

Any tricks for peeling egg shells without destroying the egg when
the shell is very thin?

For very fresh eggs , drop them GENTLY into a pan of boiling water
(slotted spoon) , when done move them into a pan of ice water . The
thermal shock will loosen the shell so it can be removed with
minimum damage .

My, my. Aren't you the Julia Child of the group. ;-)

No , I don't talk funny ... sfsf
--
Snag

Micky[_3_] July 5th 16 06:41 AM

Peeling eggs

On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 23:17:03 -0000 (UTC), Zhenya Solovyov
wrote:

Neighbor is giving me free eggs from his chickens.
Shell is very thin.

Any tricks for peeling egg shells without destroying the egg when the
shell is very thin?

Something about putting the boiled eggs in cold water, iirc.

RonNNN July 5th 16 03:14 PM

Peeling eggs

In article , says...

On 7/4/16 6:17 PM, Zhenya Solovyov wrote:
Neighbor is giving me free eggs from his chickens.
Shell is very thin.

Any tricks for peeling egg shells without destroying the egg when the
shell is very thin?

NaCl in the H2O. Salt the water.

Some folks say to put baking soda in the water. It seems to help.

--
RonNNN

Henry Jones July 5th 16 06:50 PM

Peeling eggs

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 09:14:41 -0500, RonNNN wrote:

NaCl in the H2O. Salt the water.

Some folks say to put baking soda in the water. It seems to help.

What is the salt or sodium bicarb supposed to do?

Sounds like an old wive's tale.

itsjoannotjoann July 5th 16 06:57 PM

Peeling eggs

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 12:50:32 PM UTC-5, Henry Jones wrote:

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 09:14:41 -0500, RonNNN wrote:

NaCl in the H2O. Salt the water.

Some folks say to put baking soda in the water. It seems to help.

What is the salt or sodium bicarb supposed to do?

Sounds like an old wive's tale.

I can't speak from experience but the baking soda in the
water is supposed to help with peeling. But the best way
to insure you eggs will peel with ease the eggs are at
least 2 weeks old. The air bubble increases with age
thus making the boiled egg easier to peel.

RonNNN July 5th 16 07:07 PM

Peeling eggs

In article , says...

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 09:14:41 -0500, RonNNN wrote:

NaCl in the H2O. Salt the water.

Some folks say to put baking soda in the water. It seems to help.

What is the salt or sodium bicarb supposed to do?

Sounds like an old wive's tale.

I don't profess to know the chemistry of it, but it seems to work for me.
All I can suggest is try it for yourself, you have nothing to loose.

--
RonNNN

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] July 5th 16 07:28 PM

Peeling eggs

On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 7:17:07 PM UTC-4, Zhenya Solovyov wrote:
Neighbor is giving me free eggs from his chickens.
Shell is very thin.

Any tricks for peeling egg shells without destroying the egg when the
shell is very thin?

I have good luck with Julia Child's method, although I generally
boil standard grocery-store eggs:

http://www.food.com/recipe/julia-childs-hard-boiled-eggs-468926

Cindy Hamilton

Oren[_2_] July 5th 16 10:10 PM

Peeling eggs

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/04/02/how-to-cook-egg-cellent-hard-boiled-egg/

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/10/16/ways-youre-cooking-eggs-all-wrong/

[email protected] July 6th 16 01:11 AM

Peeling eggs

wrote:

Neighbor is giving me free eggs from his chickens.
Shell is very thin.

Any tricks for peeling egg shells without destroying the egg when the
shell is very thin?

Something about putting the boiled eggs in cold water, iirc.

Don't boil fresh eggs. Leave them in the fridge for AT LEAST a week
before boiling - 2 ir more weeks is better.

[email protected] July 6th 16 03:55 AM

Peeling eggs

wrote: - show quoted text -
" Don't boil fresh eggs. Leave them in the fridge for AT LEAST a week
before boiling - 2 ir more weeks is better. "

Man, no WONDER my FARTS smelled so bad as a kid
after having soft boiled eggs at my grandma's!

I asked her if I could have some more, she just stuck
her head in the room, winced, and exclaimed, "I think
you've had just about enough!" ;)

Topic Police September 14th 16 01:42 AM

Peeling eggs

On 7/5/2016 10:55 PM, wrote:
Man, no WONDER my FARTS smelled so bad as a kid
after having soft boiled eggs at my grandma's!

I asked her if I could have some more, she just stuck
her head in the room, winced, and exclaimed, "I think
you've had just about enough!";)

Seems a natural topic for folks to drift(down) into,
but in the interest of keeping home.repair about
nuts, bolts, and toilets, I'll help show such discourse
the door...