DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   can I used NOS shingles in storage for 25 years? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/395812-can-i-used-nos-shingles-storage-25-years.html)

Sam Seagate June 20th 16 04:34 PM

can I used NOS shingles in storage for 25 years?

I have two sheds that I am about to re-roof. I have had a roll of
shingles and tar paper left over from a prior roofing job in one shed
for over 25 years. They haven't been directly exposed to the elements
other than whatever they'd normally get in a shed. Would I be able to
use them for re-roofing one of the sheds? Thanks.

bob haller June 20th 16 09:11 PM

On Monday, June 20, 2016 at 11:34:40 AM UTC-4, Sam Seagate wrote:
I have two sheds that I am about to re-roof. I have had a roll of
shingles and tar paper left over from a prior roofing job in one shed
for over 25 years. They haven't been directly exposed to the elements
other than whatever they'd normally get in a shed. Would I be able to
use them for re-roofing one of the sheds? Thanks.

I wouldnt, those materials arent expensive, unless you want to do the entire job twice

Ed Pawlowski June 21st 16 11:03 AM

can I used NOS shingles in storage for 25 years?

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 11:34:55 -0400, Sam Seagate
wrote:

I have two sheds that I am about to re-roof. I have had a roll of
shingles and tar paper left over from a prior roofing job in one shed
for over 25 years. They haven't been directly exposed to the elements
other than whatever they'd normally get in a shed. Would I be able to
use them for re-roofing one of the sheds? Thanks.

I'd be concerned they become brittle over the years. I'd see how
flexible they are. For a shed I may try it, for the house, definitely
not.

You may want to contact the manufacturer and ask if they have a
recommended shelf life to be sure.