Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint won't stick to old siding?

We repainted my in-laws house a few years ago after doing some remodeling
work. We scraped the old paint off down to bare wood, sanded, cleaned with
TSP, primed with Kilz primer, and applied two top coats of latex paint.
Within a couple years, the paint and primer completely flaked off the
siding leaving bare wood underneath.

I don't think it's a moisture issue as we have brand new siding on the same
walls and the paint is holding up fine on the boards directly above and
below the old siding.

There's obviously an oil or something on the old siding that is preventing
the new paint from sticking. But I'm not sure how to treat the old siding
so the new latex paint won't just flake off again.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/2016 11:34 AM, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

I'd look for a small town hardware store. Find the
grey haired old guy and ask, there.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/06/2016 10:34 AM, HerHusband wrote:

There's obviously an oil or something on the old siding that is preventing
the new paint from sticking. But I'm not sure how to treat the old siding
so the new latex paint won't just flake off again.

I've come to the conclusion there is nothing that can restore an old,
weathered surface to hold paint other than to completely remove
sufficient material from the surface so as to expose, essentially, "new"
wood.

We did all you described to the old barn where it _looked_ as clean and
fresh as the new wood and it, too, has failed while the replacement
pieces are still holding.

If you can find anybody who can provide any other solution as well, I'd
surely like to know, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 15:34:48 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

We repainted my in-laws house a few years ago after doing some remodeling
work. We scraped the old paint off down to bare wood, sanded, cleaned with
TSP, primed with Kilz primer, and applied two top coats of latex paint.
Within a couple years, the paint and primer completely flaked off the
siding leaving bare wood underneath.

I don't think it's a moisture issue as we have brand new siding on the same
walls and the paint is holding up fine on the boards directly above and
below the old siding.

There's obviously an oil or something on the old siding that is preventing
the new paint from sticking. But I'm not sure how to treat the old siding
so the new latex paint won't just flake off again.

Any tips?

Isn't Kilz cans oil or water base? Wonder if you picked the wrong can
on the shelf, not looking at the label.

95% of painting is preparation. Painting is the easy part.
--
Liberals are like Chameleons. They keep changing colors. -- © Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 12:45:11 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 06/06/2016 10:34 AM, HerHusband wrote:

There's obviously an oil or something on the old siding that is preventing
the new paint from sticking. But I'm not sure how to treat the old siding
so the new latex paint won't just flake off again.

I've come to the conclusion there is nothing that can restore an old,
weathered surface to hold paint other than to completely remove
sufficient material from the surface so as to expose, essentially, "new"
wood.

We did all you described to the old barn where it _looked_ as clean and
fresh as the new wood and it, too, has failed while the replacement
pieces are still holding.

If you can find anybody who can provide any other solution as well, I'd
surely like to know, too.

--

I've had very good results using PeelBond Primer. It's a very thick
latex primer that's made to help level old rough wood. It's good for

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We repainted my in-laws house a few years ago after doing some remodeling
work. We scraped the old paint off down to bare wood, sanded, cleaned with
TSP, primed with Kilz primer, and applied two top coats of latex paint.
Within a couple years, the paint and primer completely flaked off the
siding leaving bare wood underneath.

I don't think it's a moisture issue as we have brand new siding on the same
walls and the paint is holding up fine on the boards directly above and
below the old siding.

There's obviously an oil or something on the old siding that is preventing
the new paint from sticking. But I'm not sure how to treat the old siding
so the new latex paint won't just flake off again.

Any tips?

Isn't Kilz cans oil or water base? Wonder if you picked the wrong can
on the shelf, not looking at the label.

Zinnser's BIN primer is shellac based. Kilz has a water based primer, that I'd avoid.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

Default ANTHONY ****SON CAN'T FIGGURE WHY "Paint won't stick to old siding"

On 6/6/2016 8:34 AM, HerHusband wrote:
We repainted my in-laws house a few years ago after doing some remodeling
work. We scraped the old paint off down to bare wood, sanded, cleaned with
TSP, primed with Kilz primer, and applied two top coats of latex paint.
Within a couple years, the paint and primer completely flaked off the
siding leaving bare wood underneath.

I don't think it's a moisture issue as we have brand new siding on the same
walls and the paint is holding up fine on the boards directly above and
below the old siding.

There's obviously an oil or something on the old siding that is preventing
the new paint from sticking. But I'm not sure how to treat the old siding
so the new latex paint won't just flake off again.

tONY, THAT FUSKIN' TSP'LL DO IT EVERY TIME.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 11:22:53 -0700, "Colonel Edmund J. Burke"
wrote:

On 6/6/2016 8:34 AM, HerHusband wrote:
We repainted my in-laws house a few years ago after doing some remodeling
work. We scraped the old paint off down to bare wood, sanded, cleaned with
TSP, primed with Kilz primer, and applied two top coats of latex paint.
Within a couple years, the paint and primer completely flaked off the
siding leaving bare wood underneath.

I don't think it's a moisture issue as we have brand new siding on the same
walls and the paint is holding up fine on the boards directly above and
below the old siding.

There's obviously an oil or something on the old siding that is preventing
the new paint from sticking. But I'm not sure how to treat the old siding
so the new latex paint won't just flake off again.

It's called *cleaning it" you moron.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

THAT FUSKIN' TSP'LL DO IT EVERY TIME.

We used TSP on the new siding too, and have used it many times in the past
without issues. I seriously doubt that is the cause.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

| We repainted my in-laws house a few years ago after doing some remodeling
| work. We scraped the old paint off down to bare wood, sanded, cleaned with
| TSP, primed with Kilz primer, and applied two top coats of latex paint.
| Within a couple years, the paint and primer completely flaked off the
| siding leaving bare wood underneath.

Never use Kilz for exterior priming. It's a stain
sealer paint, which means it's designed to dry
quickly without soaking in. The only good primer
for exterior is oil-base linseed oil primer. Benj M.
has one. I've forgotten what they call it now.
It used to be called Moorewhite primer. The can
still says Moorewhite and/or linseed oil somewhere.
I usually add more boiled linseed oil. They've
downgraded that kind of paint to meet EPA
requirements. Then wait a couple of days before
putting on acrylic paint.

You'll see oil base primer and quick-dry oil
base primer, as well as acrylic primer. None of
those soak in properly. The same is true of the
pre-prime stuff they spray on pine lumber. It's
junk that will slide off with water exposure.
Everyone wants fast-drying, but you can't have
fast drying *and* good absorpotion.

Another option is to just put on acrylic solid
"stain". You could even wet the siding first, to get
a good soak-in. At least it won't peel. But it doesn't
look all that great. There's no film and no sheen.

| I don't think it's a moisture issue as we have brand new siding on the
same
| walls and the paint is holding up fine on the boards directly above and
| below the old siding.
|
| There's obviously an oil or something on the old siding that is preventing
| the new paint from sticking. But I'm not sure how to treat the old siding
| so the new latex paint won't just flake off again.
|
| Any tips?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Anthony Watson
| www.watsondiy.com
| www.mountainsoftware.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

| Isn't Kilz cans oil or water base? Wonder if you picked the wrong can
| on the shelf, not looking at the label.
|

| Zinnser's BIN primer is shellac based. Kilz has a water based primer,
that I'd avoid.

There are both oil and water base versions
of Kilz. Neither is any good for exterior priming,
regardless of what they say.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On 6/6/2016 12:42 PM, HerHusband wrote:
THAT FUSKIN' TSP'LL DO IT EVERY TIME.

We used TSP on the new siding too, and have used it many times in the past
without issues. I seriously doubt that is the cause.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

LOL. It's called "talkin' to a brick wall."

Posted to alt.home.repair

TRY WOOD STABILIZER

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-892396-.htm