Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best Buy sucks

I bought an oven on Best Buy (online) on 4/4. Originally the delivery
was 2 weeks, then that became a month and a week, then a month and ~2
weeks, then they just canceled the order, item not available without
informing me in any way (4/22). I did not find out until I enquired
about when they were coming today.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 May 2016 13:40:33 -0400
Ralph Mowery wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Tue, 17 May 2016 11:52:50 -0400,
wrote:

I bought an oven on Best Buy (online) on 4/4. Originally the
delivery was 2 weeks, then that became a month and a week, then a
month and ~2 weeks, then they just canceled the order, item not
available without informing me in any way (4/22). I did not find
out until I enquired about when they were coming today.

Why anyone would buy major appliances from BestBuy is totally
beyond me. Sane goes gor Home Despot and Lowes.

I had a bad experance on a stove from Lowes. Similar to yours. When
I ordered it I knew there was about a 40 day wait. Got a call about
a month later it was to be deliverid in 2 days, That time passed and
not any call the next day. Called about it and they said it had
gotten on the wrong truck. About 2 weeks later the same thing
happened. Emailed the stove company about what Lowes did and also
Lowes headquarters. A couple of days later a Lowes sales person
called and we talked. I Told them they had a stainless instead of
white showing on the computer at their store. They checked and it
was in stock . The wife had changed her mind and wanted the
stainless ,so I told them to send it out. They did and gave us
another 10% off for our trouble.

Where would you buy a major appliance from ? Not too many places to
choose from in the town I am in.

They are many small mom/pop independent appliance stores.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 May 2016 13:14:05 -0400
wrote:

I THOUGHT Best Buy
was a reputable company.

Not for a very long time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 May 2016 13:26:43 -0400, Micky
wrote:

Do you know yet if if is "available" elsewhere.

Yes for about $200-250 more.
That was why I went to BB in the first place but I guess they decided
they could not honor that price.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do you know yet if if is "available" elsewhere.

Yes for about $200-250 more.
That was why I went to BB in the first place but I guess they decided
they could not honor that price.

i'm ok with BB

life is hard

not everyone's experience is going to be exactly the same

marc
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Lots of places here in Kitchener/Waterloo. More just down the road in
Cambridge or Guelph, so even if I lived in Elmira, Conestogo, St
Jacobs or Floradale there is plenty to choose from, most of whom will
deliver anywhere in the area (some for a small charge if "out of
town". If I don't like the local guys I can go to Fergus or Woodstock
and pay a bit more for delivery - and they would put it right into the
kitchen and haul away the old one.

Difference in price between the highest and lowest for the same
product, about 10% to 20% at the very most.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Around here, put the old one to the curb, gone in no time anyways

--
Froz....

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 6:31:34 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:

did and gave us another 10% off for our trouble.

Where would you buy a major appliance from ? Not too many places to
choose from in the town I am in.

Lots of places here in Kitchener/Waterloo. More just down the road in
Cambridge or Guelph, so even if I lived in Elmira, Conestogo, St
Jacobs or Floradale there is plenty to choose from, most of whom will
deliver anywhere in the area (some for a small charge if "out of
town". If I don't like the local guys I can go to Fergus or Woodstock
and pay a bit more for delivery - and they would put it right into the
kitchen and haul away the old one.

Most of the local appliance places around here have gone out of
business. Up to about 1965 my parents worked for a furnature and
appliance store. Mother was a book keeper and dad did the deliveries
and repairs. They left for companies that paid lots more. They had been
there over 10 years. That store went out of business about 5 years ago
and another place like it went out over 10 years ago. Guess they could
not compete with the larger stores like Lowes and such.

Just before Christmas I looked for a stove and could not find any local
owned stores, they were all big chains.

It's "The Walmart Effect". The small hardware stores that I bought things from for many years are all gone replaced by mega box stores. Good luck finding anyone at Lowe's Depot who knows WTF about hardware. I did bump into one of the old guy's I knew from one of the small stores working at Home Depot but that was 10 years ago. The last time I was in one of the big box stores looking for hardware, I had to draw a picture of what I was searching for in order to get the CSR to understand what I needed. GEEZ! o_O

[8~{} Uncle Hardware Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

But YOU still have to manhandle it to the curb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 May 2016 19:31:30 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

The "walmartization" of America. Added to the K-Martization.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 8:03:02 AM UTC-4, Art Todesco wrote:
On 5/17/2016 11:52 AM, wrote:
I bought an oven on Best Buy (online) on 4/4. Originally the delivery
was 2 weeks, then that became a month and a week, then a month and ~2
weeks, then they just canceled the order, item not available without
informing me in any way (4/22). I did not find out until I enquired
about when they were coming today.

Companies do things like this to make their metrics look good, i.e.
shipped within x number of weeks or fixed within y number of hours. I've
had the local power company change the expected time of repair (turn on
power) so they can say that they beat their expected time. Yes there
are unforeseen problems, etc. but this was especially fishy. The
expected time way originally set at 12 noon. Long around 11AM they
changed the estimate to 1PM and the power was restored at 12:15. See
they beat the estimated time, right.

When we call our IT department for *anything* the call gets assigned a
ticket. Even if the IT department does nothing more than pass the call
off to another department, a ticket gets opened and then "resolved".

"Hi...I received an email that my SecureID is going to expire. Can you
help me get a new one?"

"Thank you for calling. I need to transfer you to Remote Computing, they
should be able to help."

A minute later I will get 2 emails, one showing the ticket being opened
"User's SecureID expiring" and one showing the ticket as "Closed, user
transferred to Remote Computing". Sometimes the time stamp for the 2 emails
is within the same minute.

Volume of tickets goes up, problem resolution time goes down, department
metrics improve, jobs are justified.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/17/2016 06:31 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]

Most of the local appliance places around here have gone out of
business. Up to about 1965 my parents worked for a furnature and
appliance store. Mother was a book keeper and dad did the deliveries
and repairs. They left for companies that paid lots more. They had been
there over 10 years. That store went out of business about 5 years ago
and another place like it went out over 10 years ago. Guess they could
not compete with the larger stores like Lowes and such.

Just before Christmas I looked for a stove and could not find any local
owned stores, they were all big chains.

Most of the local stores are gone here (many soon after Lowe's opened).
There's still the Western Auto, that has appliances. The Sears dealer is
gone.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Being surprised at the fact that the universe is fine tuned for life is
akin to a puddle being surprised at how well it fits its hole" --
Douglas Adams
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/17/2016 06:48 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

[snip]

Around here, put the old one to the curb, gone in no time anyways

A few years ago, someone put out an old rear-projection TV with a "FREE"
sign on it. It wasn't there very long.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Being surprised at the fact that the universe is fine tuned for life is
akin to a puddle being surprised at how well it fits its hole" --
Douglas Adams

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/2016 9:55 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 05/17/2016 06:48 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

[snip]

Around here, put the old one to the curb, gone in no time anyways

A few years ago, someone put out an old rear-projection TV with a "FREE"
sign on it. It wasn't there very long.

I've heard that sign that says "first $50
takes it" signs are even faster.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-17 6:06 PM,

wrote:

[...]

No, the delivery people that brought the new one did that for me. :-)

--
Froz....

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2016 11:52 AM, wrote:
[...]

Yup, been there, seen it. I put a trouble ticket into Motorola for a
phone problem and told them specifically that I didn't want it closed
until there was a resolution. They agreed and silently closed it in a
few weeks.

O/T: THAT SUCKS Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 4 August 8th 12 01:34 PM
TV sucks LSMFT[_2_] Electronics Repair 15 March 8th 11 05:51 PM
NEC sucks Tony[_19_] Home Repair 37 November 17th 09 11:45 AM
3 in 1 oil sucks Cydrome Leader Metalworking 26 October 19th 07 06:33 AM
Sucks no more ... DIYGUY Woodworking 7 December 21st 04 07:25 PM