Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mail order, packages and delivery

I have to give Amazon credit. I've seen it offerred for quite a
while, and I put in my cart a ream of nice paper for $5.40, much lower
than other places wanted. They said it was lower and it was.

Today the price went up to 11.40, the standard price, but the good
thing is they took it out of my cart and put it in the "maybe" section
below that. So I wouldn't order it by mistake.

Also, mail delivery is interesting. I'm on Prime for a while, but
I'm in no hurry and I told them they could take 4 days. So they had
plenty of time to deliver this thing and ended up delivering it on
Sunday. From the US post office!! The tracking was accurate and
the package was hidden like I wanted, but strangely the computer
showed the package delivered to my door in the next zipcode, at least
4 miles away.

The strangest is a package that almost made it to my house. It went
to the zipcode next to mine (not the one in the previous paragraph)
where packages often go befor they go to mine. But then it went back
to a DC suburb, where it had already been. And it's stalled there for
6 days now. This is the first problem with a package in 30 years, so
it's interesting, not complainable, but I did tell them about it and
they said they would pay me for it, even though it's not insured.
Makes sense. Only $17 and not one of a kind. (There's a guy who
takes a apparently programmable remotes and makes remote controls for
those that are hard to get**. The buttons are in the wrong place but
other than that, they work fine. It has all the wierdo buttons that a
particular remote has that Universal controls don't have. )

**A replacement for mine was 10 when I first bought the thing, right
from the maker, but now only second hand and the price is up to 40.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/15/2016 10:07 PM, Micky wrote:
I have to give Amazon credit. I've seen it offerred for quite a
while, and I put in my cart a ream of nice paper for $5.40, much lower
than other places wanted. They said it was lower and it was.

Both Staples and Office Depot are barely hanging on but their attempt to
merge was shot down on the grounds that it would reduce competition.
Oddly the regulators didn't notice that Amazon was eating their lunch.

This is nothing against Amazon. office products is only a drop in their
bucket but the brick and mortar stores are not competitive. I have Prime
and use it heavily. If I can purchase it locally I usually do, but in
most cases I can't. Even if a local store is willing to order the items
they won't be on my deck in two days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2016 12:38 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/15/2016 10:07 PM, Micky wrote:
I have to give Amazon credit. I've seen it offerred for quite a
while, and I put in my cart a ream of nice paper for $5.40, much lower
than other places wanted. They said it was lower and it was.

Both Staples and Office Depot are barely hanging on but their attempt to
merge was shot down on the grounds that it would reduce competition.
Oddly the regulators didn't notice that Amazon was eating their lunch.

This is nothing against Amazon. office products is only a drop in their
bucket but the brick and mortar stores are not competitive. I have Prime
and use it heavily. If I can purchase it locally I usually do, but in
most cases I can't. Even if a local store is willing to order the items
they won't be on my deck in two days.

I would get it at Sam's but it is far too large a quantity of reams.
So, I usually get it at Sam's alter ego, Walmart and price is always low.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 12:08:06 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
I have to give Amazon credit. I've seen it offerred for quite a
while, and I put in my cart a ream of nice paper for $5.40, much lower
than other places wanted. They said it was lower and it was.

Today the price went up to 11.40, the standard price, but the good
thing is they took it out of my cart and put it in the "maybe" section
below that. So I wouldn't order it by mistake.

Also, mail delivery is interesting. I'm on Prime for a while, but
I'm in no hurry and I told them they could take 4 days. So they had
plenty of time to deliver this thing and ended up delivering it on
Sunday. From the US post office!!

You appear to be surprised by this. Amazon contracted with the USPS
for Sunday delivery back 2013.

Just as an additional FYI, the USPS also has a contract with FedEx to
be the final delivery service for light weight packages. The service,
known as SmartPost, allows shippers to use FedEx as their contracted
shipper, but also allows them to ship to every U.S. address, including
P.O. boxes and military APO, FPO and DPO destinations, i.e. addresses
that FedEx wouldn't normally deliver to.

....snip...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/16/2016 09:00 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

UPS and DHL have (had, at least) similar arrangements with the USPS.
"Free shipping" packages from NewEgg.com often come this way. The only
problem I've had was one package that disappeared in between UPS and
USPS; perhaps something thought the contents were valuable (they
weren't: $11) and took it home; NewEgg shipped another promptly.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/16/2016 06:24 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
I would get it at Sam's but it is far too large a quantity of reams. So,
I usually get it at Sam's alter ego, Walmart and price is always low.

I go into Walmart once or twice a year and usually leave empty handed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/16/2016 07:00 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
You appear to be surprised by this. Amazon contracted with the USPS
for Sunday delivery back 2013.

Last week I read Amazon bought an air freight company that will give
them 25 more dedicated 767 cargo jets.

Just as an additional FYI, the USPS also has a contract with FedEx to
be the final delivery service for light weight packages. The service,
known as SmartPost, allows shippers to use FedEx as their contracted
shipper, but also allows them to ship to every U.S. address, including
P.O. boxes and military APO, FPO and DPO destinations, i.e. addresses
that FedEx wouldn't normally deliver to.

Going the other way, I used to haul Avon products out of Chicago. Some
of the loads would go to local distributors but many times the entire
load went to a post office for the last mile delivery. Apparently it was
cheaper to go private carrier from Chicago to Cheyenne or Billings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/16/2016 07:35 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
UPS and DHL have (had, at least) similar arrangements with the USPS.
"Free shipping" packages from NewEgg.com often come this way. The only
problem I've had was one package that disappeared in between UPS and
USPS; perhaps something thought the contents were valuable (they
weren't: $11) and took it home; NewEgg shipped another promptly.

Years ago when laptop RAM was several hundred bucks Airborne delivered
the package to my neighbor's woodpile. The kids found it a couple of
days later and brought it over. Hopefully DHL can introduce a little
German efficiency.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 9:34:58 AM UTC-4, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

If I'm not mistaken:

FedEx & USPS -- SmartPost
UPS & USPS -- SurePost
DHL & USPS -- SmartMail
USPS -- SnailMail :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2016 6:39 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/16/2016 06:24 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
I would get it at Sam's but it is far too large a quantity of reams. So,
I usually get it at Sam's alter ego, Walmart and price is always low.

I go into Walmart once or twice a year and usually leave empty handed.

We go in once a year -- and leave with 40 pounds of citrus food
(fertilizer).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 May 2016 10:13:42 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

I go into Walmart once or twice a year and usually leave empty handed.

We go in once a year -- and leave with 40 pounds of citrus food
(fertilizer).

Wally world is where I buy Bayer heart healthy asprin and man
vitimans, A year supply.

Don't think, ever, women of Walmart are not attractive. Not in my
'hood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I go into Walmart once or twice a year and usually leave empty handed.

We go in once a year -- and leave with 40 pounds of citrus food
(fertilizer).

Wally world is where I buy Bayer heart healthy asprin and man
vitimans, A year supply.

Don't think, ever, women of Walmart are not attractive. Not in my
'hood.

I buy a lot of stuff there. Their pharm stuff is good and reasonably
priced. Mouth wash for example is half the cost of a drug store's.
I was even using their mail order for drugs when my drug plan was
screwing me and charging $17 for something I could get there off the
plan for $10. Went there today. Some of the girls looked OK if you
like Black or Hispanic. English there was a second language.

I buy Amazon but not enough to warrant prime. Often a lot of places
like Best Buy and Staples will have Amazon prices with free shipping.
Bought my smart TV last winter from Best Buy on line with free shipping.
Local store did not stock the TV and I figured if defective I could
just drive it there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2016 2:01 PM, Oren wrote:
Wally world is where I buy Bayer heart healthy asprin and man
vitimans, A year supply.

I no longer buy meds at Walmart, after three
that didn't work. Rx pain med, antacid,
allergy medicine, some thing else, maybe.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/16/2016 08:00 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
If I'm not mistaken:

FedEx & USPS -- SmartPost
UPS & USPS -- SurePost
DHL & USPS -- SmartMail
USPS -- SnailMail:-)

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-usps-email/

The USPS tried.... Without all the government interference in favor of
the rent seekers Deutsche Post privatized and did very well. They even
managed to buy a few things -- like DHL.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/16/2016 12:01 PM, Oren wrote:
Don't think, ever, women of Walmart are not attractive. Not in my
'hood.

My infrequent sampling tends to turn up more spud butts at least among
the customers. With KMart going tits up the loyalty switched to Wally
World.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/16/2016 01:26 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/16/2016 2:01 PM, Oren wrote:
Wally world is where I buy Bayer heart healthy asprin and man
vitimans, A year supply.

I no longer buy meds at Walmart, after three
that didn't work. Rx pain med, antacid,
allergy medicine, some thing else, maybe.

I am amused by the disclaimers on the house brand, Equate is it? 'The
manufacturers of Gold Bond Medicated Powder certify they didn't have
anything to do with this ****.'

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "frank says...

I buy Amazon but not enough to warrant prime. Often a lot of places
like Best Buy and Staples will have Amazon prices with free shipping.
Bought my smart TV last winter from Best Buy on line with free shipping.
Local store did not stock the TV and I figured if defective I could
just drive it there.

I just bought a 60 inch TV from Amazon. It was the same price with free
shipping as Best Buy. The Best Buy store is around 20 miles away. That
would be about $ 4 worth of gas.

The best thing is the Amazon people are suspose to have it delivered by
2 men that will put the base on it and set it on a stand for me, then
turn it on to make sure it has a chance of working. Then carry off all
the packing material.
This is not Prime, just regular shipping. Plus I get back about $ 25 by
using their credit card. I think it is 3%. I could get back only 1 %
by using a credit card at BB.

Most things at Amazone are now free shipping if you buy about $ 50
worth. Just bought about 6 boxes of the K-cups coffee shipped to get
free shipping. Would buy it locally, but none of the stores seem to
carry the type we like. Same price as the stores and I get my 3 % back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2016 8:56 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Most things at Amazone are now free shipping if you buy about $ 50
worth. Just bought about 6 boxes of the K-cups coffee shipped to get
free shipping. Would buy it locally, but none of the stores seem to
carry the type we like. Same price as the stores and I get my 3 % back.

We buy very little on-line -- we live in a large enough metro area
that *most* things are available "today", in a reasonably short drive.
(Costco is 2 miles, Best Buy is closer to 4, many similar vendors in
that same range, etc.)

Electronic components (resistors, capacitors, etc.) are a notable
exception -- only one vendor here, it's a considerable drive and their
prices are lousy!

Some oriental products are also a challenge to acquire. We make a
pilgrimage across town (large oriental supermarket, there) every
6 months and stock up on related goodies. I've even been able to
find some of the imported cheeses that I use (though not aged as
long).

The occasions when I've *had* to go on-line were for *good* nutmeats
(esp pistachios) and popcorn salt (had to buy ~40 pounds of the latter
as the "salt was free" -- shipping charges ate our lunch!)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 May 2016 21:47:45 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 5/16/2016 8:56 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Most things at Amazone are now free shipping if you buy about $ 50

Of course you used to have to spend only $25, and then 39, and now 49.

worth. Just bought about 6 boxes of the K-cups coffee shipped to get
free shipping. Would buy it locally, but none of the stores seem to
carry the type we like. Same price as the stores and I get my 3 % back.

We buy very little on-line -- we live in a large enough metro area
that *most* things are available "today", in a reasonably short drive.
(Costco is 2 miles, Best Buy is closer to 4, many similar vendors in
that same range, etc.)

Electronic components (resistors, capacitors, etc.) are a notable
exception -- only one vendor here, it's a considerable drive and their
prices are lousy!

The drive isn't that far, but same thing about prices.

Some oriental products are also a challenge to acquire. We make a

That's easy here in Baltimore, esp. the west side. I can think of 3
oriental supermarkets. The fish section is the most interesting with
all kinds of ugly non-fish, whose only similarity is that they live in
the water. You won't catch me eating the.

There's even a small oriental strip mall, with several Asian stores,
supermarket, buffet restaurant with actual Chinese eating there, and 2
or 3 other stores.

pilgrimage across town (large oriental supermarket, there) every
6 months and stock up on related goodies. I've even been able to
find some of the imported cheeses that I use (though not aged as
long).

The occasions when I've *had* to go on-line were for *good* nutmeats
(esp pistachios) and popcorn salt (had to buy ~40 pounds of the latter
as the "salt was free" -- shipping charges ate our lunch!)

I've needed inkjet printer ink,
a Casio digital watch (that I didn't see anywhere in town), only
$17. They sell $10 watches at walmart but they only show the time,
with a round dial, and they look like something a delinquent teen-ager
would wear.

Tanglefoot (that I posted about earlier. Very little of it left for
sale anywhere, unless and until the new owners start making it again.
I regretted not being able to get the tube, only the little bucket,
but unlike the people who reviewed it, I was able to put it on without
getting a drop of it on my clothes or hands, so this probably included
more for the money. If it really lasts a month, and the reviews said
it lasted longer, the cherries will all be ripe by June 6, and I'll
have enough of this stuff for 10 or 15 years.)

a nice comb, to go with my brush. The prev. one lasted 20+ years
but is suddently loosing teeth. It was a Speert, from Switzerland.
This is a Kent, from England. They sell nice combs at some
barbershops, but not the ones I go to. I intend to stop by the place
I bought the previous one 25 years ago to see if he still has them and
what he charges, but the other already came in the mail.

A scooter battery, $23. I had to return the one borrowed from my
friend, but it ran for 30 seconds with that one, and I could tell that
the lights and flashers all worked, so it's worth buying one. I think
this was ebay.

I'll probably need a new carbutor ($22) for my scooter, and though
there are lots of them online, and none around here, the one with the
most pictures, about 6, is on Amazon, and because of the pictures it's
the one I'm certain is identical to what's there now. This isn't
shipped by Amazon so it doesn't count to the $49 dollar minimum but I
still don't understand if it counts to the 25 dollar minimum. Probably
not. This one includes a fuel filter but I may buy one first, to
make sure that's not the problem.

An 8" fan. Now they do have this locally, inc. at Bed Bath and
Beyond for only a dollar more, and there if I didn't like it I could
return it, but I didn't divide up the orders right and I need to be
over $25 on this last order for them to include the self-adhesive
laminating vinyl. It's an add-on and if I'm under 25, it
autmatically gets save until some future order. 8" fans are very
hard to find. This is the first fan I've found that will fit nicely
in my laundry chute, to blow cool basement air to the 2nd floor. The
people here said that woudln't work, but I came across someone who had
done it and said it did work.

Paper CD sleeves, only $5, for CD's I burn myself, thinner than
jewel boxes. Also an add-on that requires 25, not counting the
add-ons.

An illuminated keyboard. $17 open box, 27 new. Two weeks and I
haven't really used it, but I got tired of it getting dark while I was
on the computer and having to get up and turn on the light. Now I can
type in the dark. I know where the letters are but other keys aren't
so easy.

A 7-port lighted switched USB hub. Not sure when I'll need it but
only $3.

Earlier, 3 dvd's. Bought used so I didn't have to figure out an
entire Amazon order, but all of them look in perfect condition.

Earlier still, a plastic toilet seat in a style and color that no
one carries locally, to replace the solid wood toilet seat with brass
hardware that keeps turning green. How can these be popular after 100
years of turning green?

A couple years ago a better video card so I can use the flight
simulators two which woudln't work with the one I had.

Once I get all this stuff, I won't need more than a little bit for a
year or so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 May 2016 15:26:16 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/16/2016 2:01 PM, Oren wrote:
Wally world is where I buy Bayer heart healthy asprin and man
vitimans, A year supply.

I no longer buy meds at Walmart, after three
that didn't work. Rx pain med, antacid,
allergy medicine, some thing else, maybe.

Today I renewed a prescription. Not at Walmart. It's not what I
renewed. It's not even the same kind of drug. It's an antibiotic I
took more than a year ago. Actually I thought the dentist prescribed
it but it's got the urologist's name on it. I don't remember him ever
prescribing an antibiotic. But more important is that that's not
what I renewed. I did call them a month ago to find out what
antibiotic I had gotten the previous time, but we agreed I'd need a
doctor's prescription to get more. Cipro. Wikipedia says " It is
available as a generic medication and not very expensive. Wholesale it
costs between 0.03 and 0.13 USD a dose. In the United States it is
sold for about 0.40 USD per dose.", but I was charged $10 for 14
pills, 70 cents a pill. And get this, it said the retail price
was $60. Frankly, 10 doesn't seem like a lot of money so maybe
wikip is wrong???

The prescription was filled today, so it's not likely they refilled
the other one too, but I'll go or call tomorrow to check before I
request it again. A good thing I didn't wait until the last minute to
start on what should have been a simple project.

At the same place over a year ago, I needed an anti-anxiety pill
to get through an MRI, because I have claustrophobia. They gave me
one twice as strong as prescribed and twice as strong as what was on
their label, and I wrecked the right front wheel of my car, and missed
the MRI. So I got a second prescription and it too was hex-shaped.
There was a mixup so I couldn't have the mri that time either, and
that's when I came across the pictures online and learned that my
dosage is round, hexagon is twice the dosage. So I was going to
save some of the third prescription to show them, but that time they
gave me the right thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/16/2016 09:56 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
The best thing is the Amazon people are suspose to have it delivered by
2 men that will put the base on it and set it on a stand for me, then
turn it on to make sure it has a chance of working. Then carry off all
the packing material.
This is not Prime, just regular shipping. Plus I get back about $ 25 by
using their credit card. I think it is 3%. I could get back only 1 %
by using a credit card at BB.

Will they haul away the old tv?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2016 2:01 PM, Oren wrote:
Wally world is where I buy Bayer heart healthy asprin and man
vitimans, A year supply.

I no longer buy meds at Walmart, after three
that didn't work. Rx pain med, antacid,
allergy medicine, some thing else, maybe.

I am amused by the disclaimers on the house brand, Equate is it? 'The
manufacturers of Gold Bond Medicated Powder certify they didn't have
anything to do with this ****.'

I remember finding allergy medicine in clearance
aisle. Aha, says me. Look! And I behold. A chance
to save 17 cents or some thing on the medicine I
need. Sadly, my allergy symptoms returned in less
than the usual 24 hours. I had to take one every
8 hours to get the same fast, temporary relief.
My savings didn't work out as well. I spent even
more money when I drove back to the store to ask
for refund. No more Walmart medicines for this
poor tired old man. Savings? Not!

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

We buy very little on-line -- we live in a large enough metro area
that *most* things are available "today", in a reasonably short drive.
(Costco is 2 miles, Best Buy is closer to 4, many similar vendors in
that same range, etc.)

Except for clothes and food, we buy most things online.

In just the last few months I bought car parts, a monitor, a desk mount
monitor arm, woodworking finishes, batteries for my UPS, toolboxes, a
tripod, a self setting wall clock, laptop batteries, cell phone, plumbing
parts, undercabinet LED lighting, a grab bar, and a variety of tools.

None of these items were available locally.

We have a variety of home centers, specialty hardware stores, electronic
stores, and department stores nearby. Unfortunately, most local stores
only carry the most generic consumer level items, typically the low end,
low priced items that appeal to the masses. Even the specialty stores
typically have a limited selection.

I can find very specific items online, do my shopping at 5am in my pajamas,
and have it show up at my door in 3-4 days. What's not to love.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 May 2016 10:55:39 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

Will they haul away the old tv?

No, I have to deal with the old one.

No big problem as there are several ways to go with it. The old one
still works but has a black spot on the screen. It is a 48 inch screen
and the black spot is about 3 inches wide and goes about 3/4 the way
from the top to the bottom. On dark screens it is not noticable, but
shows up on the light screens.

I could probably sell it for $ 25, put it on several free places on the
internet,or just haul it off to the recycle place that takes TV sets for
free.

Around here we just set it on the curb and the carting company deals
with it. Same with white goods or just about anything else.

.... Best Buy sucks just sayin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 May 2016 20:46:05 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 05/16/2016 12:01 PM, Oren wrote:
Don't think, ever, women of Walmart are not attractive. Not in my
'hood.

My infrequent sampling tends to turn up more spud butts at least among
the customers. With KMart going tits up the loyalty switched to Wally
World.

Say it ain't so. Pic: https://tinyurl.com/zy37vhm
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Will they haul away the old tv?

No, I have to deal with the old one.

No big problem as there are several ways to go with it. The old one
still works but has a black spot on the screen. It is a 48 inch screen
and the black spot is about 3 inches wide and goes about 3/4 the way
from the top to the bottom. On dark screens it is not noticable, but
shows up on the light screens.

I could probably sell it for $ 25, put it on several free places on the
internet,or just haul it off to the recycle place that takes TV sets for
free.

Around here we just set it on the curb and the carting company deals
with it. Same with white goods or just about anything else.

eWaste laws vary by state. This list is over 2 years old and I'll bet
it's outdated since things are moving fairly rapidly in the eWaste space.

http://www.ecycleclearinghouse.org/c...aspx?pageid=10

... Best Buy sucks just sayin

I posted my experience yesterday about how nice the CSR at one of the BB
stores treated me. I wonder if it's an on-line vs. face-to-face issue.

I agree that you were treated like crap and I'd sure be ****ed too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The carting contract here includes recycling.

... Best Buy sucks just sayin

I posted my experience yesterday about how nice the CSR at one of the BB
stores treated me. I wonder if it's an on-line vs. face-to-face issue.

I agree that you were treated like crap and I'd sure be ****ed too.

They were very polite while they were screwing me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-17, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Much of the time it is less expensive on line, or the local store does
not stock what I want.

.....or you live 100 miles away from any urban center and it's cheaper
than paying $$$$ fer gas to drive 200 mi, round trip.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2016 8:22 AM, HerHusband wrote:
We buy very little on-line -- we live in a large enough metro area
that *most* things are available "today", in a reasonably short drive.
(Costco is 2 miles, Best Buy is closer to 4, many similar vendors in
that same range, etc.)

Except for clothes and food, we buy most things online.

In just the last few months I bought car parts, a monitor, a desk mount
monitor arm, woodworking finishes, batteries for my UPS, toolboxes, a
tripod, a self setting wall clock, laptop batteries, cell phone, plumbing
parts, undercabinet LED lighting, a grab bar, and a variety of tools.

None of these items were available locally.

I can find at least three vendors for each of those items within 3 miles of
the house (well, not the laptop batteries as I don't replace those). The
nearest Ace is just over a mile. Another is just over 2 miles. I can be at
any of three "malls" within 8.

We have a variety of home centers, specialty hardware stores, electronic
stores, and department stores nearby. Unfortunately, most local stores
only carry the most generic consumer level items, typically the low end,
low priced items that appeal to the masses. Even the specialty stores
typically have a limited selection.

For hardware stuff, ACE beats the big boxes hands down. I've bought
all sorts of bronze fittings "off the shelf" that you would probably
expect to buy on-line. Even the plumbing stores can't compete (esp
on price).

I *did* have problems finding electrically operated valves, though
(not irrigation valves but 3/4" dia ball valves). I guess there's
just not much demand for them.

OTOH, had no problem finding pressure reducing valves, expansion tanks,
etc. "off the shelf"

I can find very specific items online, do my shopping at 5am in my pajamas,
and have it show up at my door in 3-4 days. What's not to love.

My last purchase from Amazon (an add-on to a book order SWMBO had placed)
was for a "down angle" USB A M-F cable. They shipped an *up* angle
part, instead. Had I been able to hold it in my hands before purchasing,
I would have told the "clerk": "No, this is the wrong item. Go back
and find the one that's the opposite of this!"

I didn't even bother trying to get the problem "fixed" through Amazon.
They'd never be able to sort out the right part OR understand why
the part they shipped wasn't the part that I ordered. So, just returned
it for a refund. I.e., a waste of my time ordering it, waiting for it
and then returning it!

I looked at Digikey yesterday thinking I could add it to my parts
order but they only had left- and right-angles. (I would trust
Digikey to get it right!)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 May 2016 12:38:25 -0700
Don Y wrote:

I can find at least three vendors for each of those items within 3
miles of the house

Sucks to be you.

Nearest town here is 20 miles, 30 to lowes
and 40 to the vet.

Love it. Burglars and others just disappear.
No need for massive police response..
servpro--yes

Amazon prime! Aces!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralphy,

I find it very easy to shop on line for what I want and compair
prices. Then look to see if it is stocked by the local store.
Much of the time it is less expensive on line, or the local store does
not stock what I want.

I can usually guess fairly accurately whether a local store is going to
carry what I'm after. In most cases I don't even bother checking local
stores, it just adds extra time and I end up buying online anyway.

However, many local stores now have their inventories listed online. So I
can check whether they carry an item, and more importantly which stores
have them in stock.

For example, I recently bought some storage boxes from Office Depot. They
were cheaper in the store than I could buy them online (even before
shipping costs). They only had a few in stock, but I could keep an eye on
their inventory online and know when I could go back for more, or find
other locations that had them in stock.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don,

I can find at least three vendors for each of those items
within 3 miles of the house

My closest store (for anything) is at least 10 miles away. The "mall" is
about 15 miles away.

Our malls don't really carry anything but clothing anymore. I used to
visit the mall to look for books, cooking supplies, tools, and unique
foods. Now it's just a hangout for teenagers. Sears is about the only
thing left in the mall I even bother for, when I need hand tools or
tires.

For hardware stuff, ACE beats the big boxes hands down. I've bought
all sorts of bronze fittings "off the shelf" that you would probably
expect to buy on-line. Even the plumbing stores can't compete (esp
on price).

We have a couple of local hardware stores like that. They have every nut
and bolt you could imagine. Much better selection than the home centers.

Still, there are plenty of things they don't carry, like a Grundfos
stainless submersible well pump, 2 inch stainless pipe fittings, hand
planes, bandsaws, etc.

My last purchase from Amazon (an add-on to a book order SWMBO had
placed) was for a "down angle" USB A M-F cable. They shipped an *up*
angle part, instead. Had I been able to hold it in my hands before
purchasing, I would have told the "clerk": "No, this is the wrong
item. Go back and find the one that's the opposite of this!"

Yes, there are times it is nicer to hold an object in your hand and check
it out before buying it. You can't really judge how a hammer or saw
"feels" in your hand, regardless of the specs listed online.

I recently bought a monitor online based on specifications and good
reviews. When it arrived and I hooked it up I thought it was horrible,
like staring into a headlight even when fully dimmed. So I had to return
that and order a different monitor (none of the local department or
computer stores carry anything but the cheapest TN based monitors).

I had the same problem with the monitor stand. It looked great online and
was well built, but when I attached it to my monitor the feet stuck out
six inches in front of the monitor. I returned that and ordered a monitor
arm instead. That too was a bit of a disappointment, as it didn't fold up
the way the pictures made it look. I ended up modifying that one to make
it work the way I wanted.

Still, those situations are more the exception than the rule. I very
rarely need to return anything I purchase online.

I didn't even bother trying to get the problem "fixed" through Amazon.

I bought my monitor arm through a third-party seller on NewEgg. The
return shipping cost was almost as much as I paid for the arm in the
first place. No way I was going to pay to ship it back.

I looked at Digikey yesterday

Wow, I haven't used Digikey in over 30 years. I didn't know they were
still around.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/17/2016 08:55 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I could probably sell it for $ 25, put it on several free places on the
internet,or just haul it off to the recycle place that takes TV sets for
free.

They are hard to find. There was an electronic recycling deal one
weekend and I was all ready to take a TV and an old monitor down but it
was $12 apiece. Cell phones, DVD players and so forth were free but they
nailed you for anything with a CRT.

I don't know if they still do, but Best Buy was taking them. You had to
pay, $5 iirc, but they gave you a $5 coupon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/17/2016 05:27 PM, HerHusband wrote:
Our malls don't really carry anything but clothing anymore. I used to
visit the mall to look for books, cooking supplies, tools, and unique
foods. Now it's just a hangout for teenagers. Sears is about the only
thing left in the mall I even bother for, when I need hand tools or
tires.

You're lucky. The Sears here shut down. Craftsmen tools was about the
only reason I went to the mall. Then KMart started carrying but they
shut down too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Anthony,

On 5/17/2016 4:27 PM, HerHusband wrote:
I can find at least three vendors for each of those items
within 3 miles of the house

My closest store (for anything) is at least 10 miles away. The "mall" is
about 15 miles away.

When I type "Malls" into google maps, I get 10+ hits, "in town". The
farthest about 10 miles as the crow flies. And, that doesn't include
all of the "shopping centers" that seem to form a 1 mile square grid
throughout town!

There are also lots of specialty stores that are crammed in at
odd places. Want some lexan cut to order? There's a little shop
that JUST deals with lexan. Want some foam? Another just for
that. Window blinds? Motorcycle parts (but NOT automobile)?
Paint? Tool rental? Comic books? Art supplies? Salvage building
supplies? Kitchen supplies? Restaurant supplies? Specialty
beverages? Fabric? Paintball supplies? Weaponry? Upscale children's
toys?

E.g., I can go *buy* a drywall lift and bring it home, today.

Our malls don't really carry anything but clothing anymore. I used to
visit the mall to look for books, cooking supplies, tools, and unique
foods. Now it's just a hangout for teenagers. Sears is about the only
thing left in the mall I even bother for, when I need hand tools or
tires.

We have probably 4 or 5 different "tire stores" -- not counting Sears,
Walmart, Costco, etc.

For hardware stuff, ACE beats the big boxes hands down. I've bought
all sorts of bronze fittings "off the shelf" that you would probably
expect to buy on-line. Even the plumbing stores can't compete (esp
on price).

We have a couple of local hardware stores like that. They have every nut
and bolt you could imagine. Much better selection than the home centers.

Yup. Esp for stainless, metric, brass, etc. As I have to pass an ACE to
go damn ear anywhere, it's trivial to run in for "three" screws with mating
nuts, etc.

shrug I'm sure they aren't keen on a $1 sale. OTOH, they don't *have* to
sell the individual pieces of hardware (at greatly inflated prices!).

Still, there are plenty of things they don't carry, like a Grundfos
stainless submersible well pump, 2 inch stainless pipe fittings, hand
planes, bandsaws, etc.

I'm sure I could find several vendors for all of the above, here.
In addition to outfitters for completely "off the grid" living
(as many folks in the outlying areas don't even have access to
electricity; I know many folks who live off wells, etc.!)

My last purchase from Amazon (an add-on to a book order SWMBO had
placed) was for a "down angle" USB A M-F cable. They shipped an *up*
angle part, instead. Had I been able to hold it in my hands before
purchasing, I would have told the "clerk": "No, this is the wrong
item. Go back and find the one that's the opposite of this!"

Yes, there are times it is nicer to hold an object in your hand and check
it out before buying it. You can't really judge how a hammer or saw
"feels" in your hand, regardless of the specs listed online.

In my case, you can't even be sure they will send you the product
that you've ordered! I.e., if I had returned the product seeking
a replacement, I am reasonably confident I would have received yet
another of the same WRONG part! Some droid wandering through the
aisles of a stockroom just pulling parts out of LABELED bins -- even
if the label/contents are incorrect!

By contrast, go VISIT the vendor and you can direct his attention to the
problem: "Ah, yes, I see! That's exactly backwards! Let me see if it
was placed in the wrong bin or if the wrong item got stocked..."

I recently bought a monitor online based on specifications and good
reviews. When it arrived and I hooked it up I thought it was horrible,
like staring into a headlight even when fully dimmed. So I had to return
that and order a different monitor (none of the local department or
computer stores carry anything but the cheapest TN based monitors).

I had the same problem with the monitor stand. It looked great online and
was well built, but when I attached it to my monitor the feet stuck out
six inches in front of the monitor. I returned that and ordered a monitor
arm instead. That too was a bit of a disappointment, as it didn't fold up
the way the pictures made it look. I ended up modifying that one to make
it work the way I wanted.

Still, those situations are more the exception than the rule. I very
rarely need to return anything I purchase online.

As we *can* get many things locally, when I go online, it's for a very
specific item that I can't find, here. And, it's not that I can
tolerate something "ALMOST the same".

So, I have to rely on very precise ACCURATE descriptions for items.
And, IME, folks don't sweat the details enough to give me those
assurances. E.g., "What's the difference between a down-angle and
an up-angle cable? Aren't you just being PICKY??" "Well, no.
What's the difference between a door that opens in and one that opens
out? Wouldn't THAT be picky??"

I didn't even bother trying to get the problem "fixed" through Amazon.

I bought my monitor arm through a third-party seller on NewEgg. The
return shipping cost was almost as much as I paid for the arm in the
first place. No way I was going to pay to ship it back.

Exactly. When SWMBO has bought shoes/clothes on-line, the prerequisite
has always been that she be able to return them (free) if she isn't
satisfied. you *know* this cost is being borne somewhere in the system...

She bought some jeans on-line. They arrived looking like they'd been
worn OUT! (not just "prewashed" but "preweared" : ). She returned
them and we started looking for local vendors that carried the same
line. Found them for less money, "off the shelf". So, she could try
them on (for fit) and examine the quality without making a commitment
(other than the time to walk into the store instead of driving past it
in our normal shopping circuit)

I looked at Digikey yesterday

Wow, I haven't used Digikey in over 30 years. I didn't know they were
still around.

They are *huge*. I'd wager bigger than most of the "classic" distributors!
I recall when their "catalog" was a flimsy little thing -- no thicker than
a "TV Weekly". They stopped printing it when it got to about 3 inches thick.

And, of course, most everything in it was "in stock"...

The people are friendly (I always phone in my orders) and seldom make
mistakes (in taking the order OR filling it). And, if I plan ahead,
I can usually afford to wait the 2-4 days for it to arrive. E.g., I have
three PC's and two monitors that have been sitting here for a while;
they can sit for another few days waiting for the parts to arrive!

Once done, I'll move onto the next items in The Pile...
Posted to alt.home.repair

You're lucky. The Sears here shut down. Craftsmen tools was about the
only reason I went to the mall. Then KMart started carrying but they
shut down too.

Our Sears store managed to survive the chopping block, though the local
Kmart did close up (I never went there anyway). We have a new little Sears
store in our home town here, but I haven't been there yet.

I doubt I visit Sears more than once a year at most.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com