Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mail order, packages and delivery

When I type "Malls" into google maps, I get 10+ hits, "in town". The
farthest about 10 miles as the crow flies.

I just did a search on Google. We only have one mall in town, 12.7 miles from
my house.

The next closest malls are in Portland; 19.2 miles, 26 miles, or 29 miles
away from my house.

that doesn't include all of the "shopping centers"

Yeah, we do have lots of little strip malls scattered around town. There's a
Starbucks and Subway restaurant in almost every one of them.

There are also lots of specialty stores that are crammed in at
odd places.

Must be nice...

We have probably 4 or 5 different "tire stores" -- not counting Sears,
Walmart, Costco, etc.

We have lots of tire stores around town, but Sears is in the mall. So we can
drop off the car, grab lunch in the food court, and wander around the mall
until the car is ready. At any of the other places you just sit there in
their waiting room. Boring.

In my case, you can't even be sure they will send you the product
that you've ordered!

I guess I've been lucky. I've always received exactly what was pictured on
the web site.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-18, HerHusband wrote:
We have a new little Sears
store in our home town here, but I haven't been there yet.

We have a Sears Service Center, which is a semi store. Gots lotsa
tools n' appliances, but is mostly a mail-order store. Great place to
dump yer old appliances.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/2016 8:29 AM, HerHusband wrote:
that doesn't include all of the "shopping centers"

Yeah, we do have lots of little strip malls scattered around town. There's a
Starbucks and Subway restaurant in almost every one of them.

Ours typically have a food store as anchor. But, beyond that, all bets are
off. You might find an eclectic art gallery, hardware store, public library
(branch), Kinkos, gelateria, comic book store, tobacconist, tool rental
shop, kitchen supply store, Bed/Bath/Beyond, etc.

There are also lots of specialty stores that are crammed in at
odd places.

Must be nice...

It's better than *nothing* : But, really pretty pathetic when I consider
what living in Chicago or Boston was like. OTOH, I can *park* at all of
these places without having to find a spot on the street!

We have probably 4 or 5 different "tire stores" -- not counting Sears,
Walmart, Costco, etc.

We have lots of tire stores around town, but Sears is in the mall. So we can
drop off the car, grab lunch in the food court, and wander around the mall
until the car is ready. At any of the other places you just sit there in
their waiting room. Boring.

I can walk from two of the tire stores -- or Costco -- to the house.
Or, walk around in one of the stores adjacent. E.g., do my grocery
shopping and just wheel the shopping cart over to the tire store to
unload it into my vehicle, when done.

But, it means *planning* what you are going to do with that time.
E.g., I'll bring some research paper or a pad with me just about
everywhere that I might encounter a wait and continue that even if
I only manage to get 10 spare minutes. Sure beats twiddling
thumbs or reading some populist magazine...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky posted for all of us...

On Mon, 16 May 2016 15:26:16 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/16/2016 2:01 PM, Oren wrote:
Wally world is where I buy Bayer heart healthy asprin and man
vitimans, A year supply.

I no longer buy meds at Walmart, after three
that didn't work. Rx pain med, antacid,
allergy medicine, some thing else, maybe.

Today I renewed a prescription. Not at Walmart. It's not what I
renewed. It's not even the same kind of drug. It's an antibiotic I
took more than a year ago. Actually I thought the dentist prescribed
it but it's got the urologist's name on it. I don't remember him ever
prescribing an antibiotic. But more important is that that's not
what I renewed. I did call them a month ago to find out what
antibiotic I had gotten the previous time, but we agreed I'd need a
doctor's prescription to get more. Cipro. Wikipedia says " It is
available as a generic medication and not very expensive. Wholesale it
costs between 0.03 and 0.13 USD a dose. In the United States it is
sold for about 0.40 USD per dose.", but I was charged $10 for 14
pills, 70 cents a pill. And get this, it said the retail price
was $60. Frankly, 10 doesn't seem like a lot of money so maybe
wikip is wrong???

The prescription was filled today, so it's not likely they refilled
the other one too, but I'll go or call tomorrow to check before I
request it again. A good thing I didn't wait until the last minute to
start on what should have been a simple project.

At the same place over a year ago, I needed an anti-anxiety pill
to get through an MRI, because I have claustrophobia. They gave me
one twice as strong as prescribed and twice as strong as what was on
their label, and I wrecked the right front wheel of my car, and missed
the MRI. So I got a second prescription and it too was hex-shaped.
There was a mixup so I couldn't have the mri that time either, and
that's when I came across the pictures online and learned that my
dosage is round, hexagon is twice the dosage. So I was going to
save some of the third prescription to show them, but that time they
gave me the right thing.

What have you learned from this?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 May 2016 17:05:40 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

What have you learned from this?

Stuff?!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/16/2016 2:01 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

I called and the woman who knows me answered. She checked if another
prescription was waiting and there was but it was marked Waiting for
Shipment. She said they would fill it as soon as more came in, and
then she checked and said it was there and 4PM or later was a good
time. (I though they would have called me when they couldnt' fill
the prescription the previous day, when they said they would, but
that's small potatoes compared to their other mistakes.)

That WAS what I had renewed, so the earlier one they just threw in for
fun.

A good thing I didn't wait until the last minute to
start on what should have been a simple project.

At the same place over a year ago, I needed an anti-anxiety pill
to get through an MRI, because I have claustrophobia. They gave me
one twice as strong as prescribed and twice as strong as what was on
their label, and I wrecked the right front wheel of my car, and missed
the MRI. So I got a second prescription and it too was hex-shaped.
There was a mixup so I couldn't have the mri that time either, and
that's when I came across the pictures online and learned that my
dosage is round, hexagon is twice the dosage. So I was going to
save some of the third prescription to show them, but that time they
gave me the right thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/18/2016 09:16 AM, HerHusband wrote:
Our Sears store managed to survive the chopping block, though the local
Kmart did close up (I never went there anyway). We have a new little Sears
store in our home town here, but I haven't been there yet.

25 years ago KMart was the only game in town here. Now we have all the
regulation stores. Not really an improvement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/17/2016 11:49 PM, Don Y wrote:
Motorcycle parts (but NOT automobile)?

Must be nice. The Suzuki dealer sold the business two years ago. He was
grandfathered in and could order the models he could sell. Suzuki told
the new guy he had to take all the models. Suzuki dirt bikes and
V-Stroms sell here; cruisers don't. The new guy dropped the line and
nobody in town wanted it. So now I have two Suzukis and no local dealer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/2016 7:45 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/17/2016 11:49 PM, Don Y wrote:
Motorcycle parts (but NOT automobile)?

Must be nice. The Suzuki dealer sold the business two years ago. He was
grandfathered in and could order the models he could sell. Suzuki told the new
guy he had to take all the models. Suzuki dirt bikes and V-Stroms sell here;
cruisers don't. The new guy dropped the line and nobody in town wanted it. So
now I have two Suzukis and no local dealer.

We're back-woods (relatively speaking). But, also the biggest metro for
100 miles so there are *some* advantages.

Pity the folks who live in Casa Grande or Aho...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/18/2016 09:31 PM, Don Y wrote:
Pity the folks who live in Casa Grande or Aho...

Ajo has Olsen's Market, True Value Hardware, and a branch of the Tucson
library. What more do you want? Some other stuff comes and goes. There
used to be the Phelps Dodge Mercantile, the Bamboo Hut, and a Dairy
Queen but they all dried up and blew away. There's not much left in Why
except the Why Not store. Pete Roberts and the Flores clan feuded for
years before they both bit the dust.

Casa has more but you might as well go to Tucson or Phoenix.