DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Etiquette question: (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/394348-etiquette-question.html)

philo May 12th 16 06:02 PM

Etiquette question:

A guy pulled up to my neighbor's house in a pickup truck. There is a
refrigerator and dolly in the bed. He's standing around looking like he
needs help.
What's the best thing for me to do...close my shades and curtains...or
is simply pulling my shades "good enough?"
I don't want to be rude.

DerbyDad03 May 12th 16 07:10 PM

Etiquette question:

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 12:02:25 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
A guy pulled up to my neighbor's house in a pickup truck. There is a
refrigerator and dolly in the bed. He's standing around looking like he
needs help.
What's the best thing for me to do...close my shades and curtains...or
is simply pulling my shades "good enough?"
I don't want to be rude.

Take a picture, jot down a few words about your conflicted feelings, give it
to your wife and ask her to store the material for use in Coffee Ennui, Volume II.

Oren[_2_] May 12th 16 07:28 PM

Etiquette question:

On Thu, 12 May 2016 11:02:21 -0500, philo wrote:

A guy pulled up to my neighbor's house in a pickup truck. There is a
refrigerator and dolly in the bed. He's standing around looking like he
needs help.

Waiting on a woman?

What's the best thing for me to do...close my shades and curtains...or
is simply pulling my shades "good enough?"
I don't want to be rude.

_What Would Machiavelli Do? _

"Walking in the steps of the Florentine master, What Would Machiavelli
Do? will show you how to be all the Machiavelli you can be. How to
beat people who are smarter than you. How to make others cringe and
whimper when you enter a room. How to get what you want when you want
it whether you deserve it or not. Without fear. Without emotion. One
scalp at a time."

http://www.stanleybing.com/bookshelf/what-would-machiavelli-do

:-\ My neighbor came over to help get a new gun safe out of
the truck and into the house -- hell yeah! I'll help.

philo May 12th 16 08:52 PM

Etiquette question:

On 05/12/2016 12:10 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 12:02:25 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
A guy pulled up to my neighbor's house in a pickup truck. There is a
refrigerator and dolly in the bed. He's standing around looking like he
needs help.
What's the best thing for me to do...close my shades and curtains...or
is simply pulling my shades "good enough?"
I don't want to be rude.

Take a picture, jot down a few words about your conflicted feelings, give it
to your wife and ask her to store the material for use in Coffee Ennui, Volume II.

Good idea...but it will be years before I produce another book.

As it turned out, we went to the store and when we returned it was all
taken care of. There were two, junk refrigerators in the alley.

philo May 12th 16 08:53 PM

Etiquette question:

On 05/12/2016 12:28 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

LOL

Yep, if there was food in the fridge...

DerbyDad03 May 12th 16 09:02 PM

Etiquette question:

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 2:52:26 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
On 05/12/2016 12:10 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 12:02:25 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
A guy pulled up to my neighbor's house in a pickup truck. There is a
refrigerator and dolly in the bed. He's standing around looking like he
needs help.
What's the best thing for me to do...close my shades and curtains...or
is simply pulling my shades "good enough?"
I don't want to be rude.

Take a picture, jot down a few words about your conflicted feelings, give it
to your wife and ask her to store the material for use in Coffee Ennui, Volume II.

Good idea...but it will be years before I produce another book.

Well, it took years to gather material for the first one, didn't it?

As it turned out, we went to the store and when we returned it was all
taken care of. There were two, junk refrigerators in the alley.

Grab your camera and document the life of the appliances. Tell the story of
their struggles with energy efficiency, spoiled milk and spilled soup. Don't
let them be forgotten. They deserve better.

philo May 12th 16 09:19 PM

Etiquette question:

On 05/12/2016 02:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Good idea...but it will be years before I produce another book.

Well, it took years to gather material for the first one, didn't it?

Yeah...60 years worth.

As it turned out, we went to the store and when we returned it was all
taken care of. There were two, junk refrigerators in the alley.

Grab your camera and document the life of the appliances. Tell the story of
their struggles with energy efficiency, spoiled milk and spilled soup. Don't
let them be forgotten. They deserve better.

Well, I almost did something like that in a way.

I once pull the dead motor out of my old Sears Kenmore washing machine.

I took it with me to a poetry reading and did a spoof poem on the
famous Shakespeare soliloquy by Hamlet.

Instead of saying "Alas poor Yorick"

well you get the idea...

Oren[_2_] May 12th 16 09:39 PM

Etiquette question:

On Thu, 12 May 2016 13:53:21 -0500, philo wrote:

http://www.stanleybing.com/bookshelf/what-would-machiavelli-do

:-\ My neighbor came over to help get a new gun safe out of
the truck and into the house -- hell yeah! I'll help.

LOL

Yep, if there was food in the fridge...

I meant to say he asked for my help. I misspeak :-)

Two of us got _his_ 800# gun safe into the hall.

philo May 12th 16 09:42 PM

Etiquette question:

On 05/12/2016 02:39 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2016 13:53:21 -0500, philo wrote:

http://www.stanleybing.com/bookshelf/what-would-machiavelli-do

:-\ My neighbor came over to help get a new gun safe out of
the truck and into the house -- hell yeah! I'll help.

LOL

Yep, if there was food in the fridge...

I meant to say he asked for my help. I misspeak :-)

Two of us got _his_ 800# gun safe into the hall.

My heavy lifting days are over

but did manage to get a 75# battery out of the basement the other day.

Not much to brag about but before I had my knees replaced just bringing
in the groceries was a task.

Micky[_3_] May 12th 16 09:56 PM

Etiquette question:

On Thu, 12 May 2016 11:02:21 -0500, philo wrote:

A guy pulled up to my neighbor's house in a pickup truck. There is a
refrigerator and dolly in the bed. He's standing around looking like he
needs help.
What's the best thing for me to do...close my shades and curtains...or
is simply pulling my shades "good enough?"
I don't want to be rude.

It depends. If you're on good terms with your neighbor, it might be
necessary to sell your house.

[email protected] May 12th 16 10:10 PM

Etiquette question:

On Thu, 12 May 2016 11:02:21 -0500, philo wrote:

A guy pulled up to my neighbor's house in a pickup truck. There is a
refrigerator and dolly in the bed. He's standing around looking like he
needs help.
What's the best thing for me to do...close my shades and curtains...or
is simply pulling my shades "good enough?"
I don't want to be rude.

Since he might be robbing you neighbors house,
Pull out your caulking gun, and shoot the son of a bitch!

philo May 12th 16 10:23 PM

Etiquette question:

On 05/12/2016 02:56 PM, Micky wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2016 11:02:21 -0500, philo wrote:

A guy pulled up to my neighbor's house in a pickup truck. There is a
refrigerator and dolly in the bed. He's standing around looking like he
needs help.
What's the best thing for me to do...close my shades and curtains...or
is simply pulling my shades "good enough?"
I don't want to be rude.

It depends. If you're on good terms with your neighbor, it might be
necessary to sell your house.

I never saw the guy before, it's a rental

Taxed and Spent May 12th 16 11:13 PM

Etiquette question:

On 5/12/2016 1:10 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2016 11:02:21 -0500, philo wrote:

A guy pulled up to my neighbor's house in a pickup truck. There is a
refrigerator and dolly in the bed. He's standing around looking like he
needs help.
What's the best thing for me to do...close my shades and curtains...or
is simply pulling my shades "good enough?"
I don't want to be rude.

Since he might be robbing you neighbors house,
Pull out your caulking gun, and shoot the son of a bitch!

I think you mean shoot the caulk sucker.

philo May 12th 16 11:48 PM

Etiquette question:

On 05/12/2016 03:10 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2016 11:02:21 -0500, philo wrote:

A guy pulled up to my neighbor's house in a pickup truck. There is a
refrigerator and dolly in the bed. He's standing around looking like he
needs help.
What's the best thing for me to do...close my shades and curtains...or
is simply pulling my shades "good enough?"
I don't want to be rude.

Since he might be robbing you neighbors house,
Pull out your caulking gun, and shoot the son of a bitch!

Robbers do not put refrigerators in people's houses

although thus is Milwaukee so who knows

Stormin Mormon[_10_] May 13th 16 12:49 AM

Etiquette question:

On 5/12/2016 5:13 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 5/12/2016 1:10 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2016 11:02:21 -0500, philo wrote:

A guy pulled up to my neighbor's house in a pickup truck. There is a
refrigerator and dolly in the bed. He's standing around looking like he
needs help.
What's the best thing for me to do...close my shades and curtains...or
is simply pulling my shades "good enough?"
I don't want to be rude.

Since he might be robbing you neighbors house,
Pull out your caulking gun, and shoot the son of a bitch!

I think you mean shoot the caulk sucker.

Caulk up another one for the good guys.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Micky[_3_] May 13th 16 03:04 AM

Etiquette question:

On Thu, 12 May 2016 15:23:11 -0500, philo wrote:

On 05/12/2016 02:56 PM, Micky wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2016 11:02:21 -0500, philo wrote:

A guy pulled up to my neighbor's house in a pickup truck. There is a
refrigerator and dolly in the bed. He's standing around looking like he
needs help.
What's the best thing for me to do...close my shades and curtains...or
is simply pulling my shades "good enough?"
I don't want to be rude.

It depends. If you're on good terms with your neighbor, it might be
necessary to sell your house.

I never saw the guy before, it's a rental

You handled it just fine.

[email protected] May 13th 16 05:37 AM

Etiquette question:

On Thu, 12 May 2016 16:48:34 -0500, philo wrote:

Since he might be robbing you neighbors house,
Pull out your caulking gun, and shoot the son of a bitch!

Robbers do not put refrigerators in people's houses

although thus is Milwaukee so who knows

Since it's Milwaukee, the guy could be a recovering alcoholic, and
someone put a refrigerator FULL OF BEER in his house to get him OFF THE
WAGON. After all, isn't there a law that EVERYONE must drink beer in
Milwaukee. (The beer that made Milwaukee Famous)! *Which beer is that?*

Micky[_3_] May 13th 16 07:23 AM

Etiquette question:

On Thu, 12 May 2016 23:37:56 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 12 May 2016 16:48:34 -0500, philo wrote:

Since he might be robbing you neighbors house,
Pull out your caulking gun, and shoot the son of a bitch!

Robbers do not put refrigerators in people's houses

although thus is Milwaukee so who knows

Since it's Milwaukee, the guy could be a recovering alcoholic, and
someone put a refrigerator FULL OF BEER in his house to get him OFF THE
WAGON. After all, isn't there a law that EVERYONE must drink beer in
Milwaukee. (The beer that made Milwaukee Famous)! *Which beer is that?*

Shlitz. I heard that Budweiser was changing its name to American
for the summer, even though it's owned by some European company.

Sam I Am May 13th 16 11:07 AM

Etiquette question:

On 05/12/2016 10:02 AM, philo wrote:
A guy pulled up to my neighbor's house in a pickup truck. There is a refrigerator and dolly in the bed. He's standing around looking like he needs help.
What's the best thing for me to do...close my shades and curtains...or is simply pulling my shades "good enough?"
I don't want to be rude.

Two competent people can safely unload a refrigerator from a pickup truck.
However, how can you possibly know how competent the truck driver is?

In a situation like this, I'd hide. ;-)

philo May 13th 16 04:38 PM

Etiquette question:

On 05/12/2016 10:37 PM, wrote:

although thus is Milwaukee so who knows

Since it's Milwaukee, the guy could be a recovering alcoholic, and
someone put a refrigerator FULL OF BEER in his house to get him OFF THE
WAGON. After all, isn't there a law that EVERYONE must drink beer in
Milwaukee. (The beer that made Milwaukee Famous)! *Which beer is that?*

Schlitz kind of implied that

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dvzl14ripj...z_Low.JPG?dl=0

philo May 13th 16 04:40 PM

Etiquette question:

On 05/13/2016 12:23 AM, Micky wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2016 23:37:56 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 12 May 2016 16:48:34 -0500, philo wrote:

Since he might be robbing you neighbors house,
Pull out your caulking gun, and shoot the son of a bitch!

Robbers do not put refrigerators in people's houses

although thus is Milwaukee so who knows

Since it's Milwaukee, the guy could be a recovering alcoholic,

This is Milwaukee and everyone here is a recovering alcoholic (except
for the "recovering" part.)

philo May 13th 16 04:43 PM

Etiquette question:

On 05/13/2016 04:07 AM, Sam I Am wrote:
On 05/12/2016 10:02 AM, philo wrote:
A guy pulled up to my neighbor's house in a pickup truck. There is a
refrigerator and dolly in the bed. He's standing around looking like
he needs help.
What's the best thing for me to do...close my shades and curtains...or
is simply pulling my shades "good enough?"
I don't want to be rude.

Two competent people can safely unload a refrigerator from a pickup truck.
However, how can you possibly know how competent the truck driver is?

In a situation like this, I'd hide. ;-)

yep, my wife and I went shopping and when I returned home I wrote this

Grocery Line Queue

Let's face it, I'm a ruthless asshole and we are all ruthless assholes.
Some of us simply know how to behave in public. Most of us try.

So here I am in the grocery store and we all hate that experience.
Standing in line behind some €śjerk€ť who has too many groceries who
remembers...after the sale...his coupons. Even Guru Raghavendra is
cursing €śthat moron€ť and the cashier who is €śnot the brightest bulb€ť in
the economy pack of 100 watters.

And time's a wastin'.

Here we are in a country where any possible food we could want is at our
fingertips 24 hours a day and affordable. Half the earth's people will
never have this luxury and it may take weeks or months of grueling hard
labor just to eke out a few crumbs of sustenance.

€śSorry I'm late dear, it was horrible. I had to stand in line for 15
goddamned minutes! I'll never go to that store again! Disgusting!€ť

Yesterday, like a million other days was one of the above.

As I finally got my goods on the conveyor, the blank-looking woman asked
me the same required and generic question she's been saying by rote 500
times a day for the last 500 years, €śDid you find everything all right?€ť

I was so utterly disgusted by the whole ordeal that I said sarcastically
to my wife, €ś Did we find everything all right?€ť Then sarcastically say
to the cashier, €śHow nice of you to ask.€ť

Weird. As soon as the words €śhow nice€ť came out of my mouth the sarcasm
melted, fell through a crack in the floor and vanished. Really? Oh my, I
really meant it by the time my sentence was completed!

As the groceries were being tabulated, my wife efficiently bagged them
and the cashier and I chatted about everything under the sun. She closed
her line and told the man approaching she was going €śon break.€ť

When everything was bagged, carted and paid for we continued talking for
quite some time. When we bid each other adieu and parted good friends, I
saw her running towards the bathroom.

DerbyDad03 May 13th 16 05:35 PM

Etiquette question:

On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 10:43:14 AM UTC-4, philo wrote:
[...]

While my 4 kids were growing up, I coached and/or assisted with various teams
in multiple sports. I always informed the parents of my players of the "24
hour" rule.

"If you get upset by something you see on the field, on the benches or in the
stands, and assuming that the situation is not safety related, I ask that you
wait 24 hours before bringing the situation up with a coach, an umpire, your
child, another parent, etc. If after 24 hours you are still upset by the
situation, then by all means contact whoever you think is appropriate."

While it was not a rule that I could actually enforce, it did plant the seed
for parents to think about a "cooling off" period before confronting someone
while in a state of anger. I have been told by many parents that it worked for
them not only in the "sports world" but in other situations also. During the
"delay" they either had a chance to think about both sides of the situation or
realized that the issue wasn't as important as they originally thought.

I often find myself using the 24 rule in my own life. "OK, I'm ****ed. Does
this have to be dealt with right now or should I calm down first?" Most times,
I calm down and then I can deal with the situation more rationally or even
not deal with it at all.

Mike Duffy[_5_] May 13th 16 05:46 PM

Etiquette question:

On Fri, 13 May 2016 09:43:08 -0500, philo wrote:

Let's face it, I'm a ruthless asshole and we are all ruthless assholes.
Some of us simply know how to behave in public. Most of us try.

And some of us are very trying ....

[...] Then sarcastically say to the cashier, ´How nice of you to ask.ˇ
Weird. As soon as the words ´how niceˇ came out of my mouth the sarcasm
melted, fell through a crack in the floor and vanished. Really? Oh my, I
really meant it by the time my sentence was completed!

Proof that you have been mind-controlled by the meme!

As the groceries were being tabulated, my wife efficiently bagged them
and the cashier and I chatted about everything under the sun.

Good Lord! Don't tell me that you have been reduced to the absurd behaviour
of genuine human interaction!

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

philo May 13th 16 05:58 PM

Etiquette question:

On 05/13/2016 10:35 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 10:43:14 AM UTC-4, philo wrote:
On

snip
[...]

Yep, after 24 hours the "major annoyance" usually becomes trivial.

philo May 13th 16 05:59 PM

Etiquette question:

On 05/13/2016 10:46 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2016 09:43:08 -0500, philo wrote:

snip

Good Lord! Don't tell me that you have been reduced to the absurd behaviour
of genuine human interaction!

Mostly I did it to try to embarrass my wife!

Muggles[_11_] May 13th 16 06:04 PM

Etiquette question:

On 5/13/2016 10:59 AM, philo wrote:
On 05/13/2016 10:46 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2016 09:43:08 -0500, philo wrote:

snip

Good Lord! Don't tell me that you have been reduced to the absurd
behaviour
of genuine human interaction!

Mostly I did it to try to embarrass my wife!

My husband always told our teens that he'd enjoy doing that to them in
front of their dates! Needless to say they never brought home their
dates until they found one they wanted to marry. They figured a spouse
would find out all the funny and embarrasing kid stories eventually anyway.

--
Maggie

philo May 13th 16 06:06 PM

Etiquette question:

On 05/13/2016 11:04 AM, Muggles wrote:

Mostly I did it to try to embarrass my wife!

My husband always told our teens that he'd enjoy doing that to them in
front of their dates! Needless to say they never brought home their
dates until they found one they wanted to marry. They figured a spouse
would find out all the funny and embarrasing kid stories eventually anyway.

yeah

I don't know how many times I've heard my daughter yell:

"Dad NOOOOOOOOOO!"

[email protected] May 13th 16 08:11 PM

Etiquette question:

On Fri, 13 May 2016 10:59:25 -0500, philo wrote:

On 05/13/2016 10:46 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2016 09:43:08 -0500, philo wrote:

snip

Good Lord! Don't tell me that you have been reduced to the absurd behaviour
of genuine human interaction!

Mostly I did it to try to embarrass my wife!

Most of us of the "male persuasion" don't have to half try on that
score!!

[email protected] May 13th 16 08:11 PM

Etiquette question:

On Fri, 13 May 2016 11:06:57 -0500, philo wrote:

On 05/13/2016 11:04 AM, Muggles wrote:

Mostly I did it to try to embarrass my wife!

My husband always told our teens that he'd enjoy doing that to them in
front of their dates! Needless to say they never brought home their
dates until they found one they wanted to marry. They figured a spouse
would find out all the funny and embarrasing kid stories eventually anyway.

yeah

I don't know how many times I've heard my daughter yell:

"Dad NOOOOOOOOOO!"

With 2 daughters I get that "in stereo"

philo May 13th 16 08:21 PM

Etiquette question:

On 05/13/2016 01:11 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2016 11:06:57 -0500, philo wrote:

On 05/13/2016 11:04 AM, Muggles wrote:

Mostly I did it to try to embarrass my wife!

My husband always told our teens that he'd enjoy doing that to them in
front of their dates! Needless to say they never brought home their
dates until they found one they wanted to marry. They figured a spouse
would find out all the funny and embarrasing kid stories eventually anyway.

yeah

I don't know how many times I've heard my daughter yell:

"Dad NOOOOOOOOOO!"

With 2 daughters I get that "in stereo"

Then you are doing a great job!

philo May 13th 16 08:22 PM

Etiquette question:

On 05/13/2016 01:11 PM, wrote:

Mostly I did it to try to embarrass my wife!

Most of us of the "male persuasion" don't have to half try on that
score!!

yep, not much effort

Oren[_2_] May 13th 16 08:43 PM

Etiquette question:

On Fri, 13 May 2016 08:35:27 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

+1 After an incident that angers you, step back, take a breather and
write the report later. Being calm later, allows you to just report
facts and leave out some kind of emotional rant . Just the facts
ma'am.

Report Writing classes emphasized this (in my former work place).

DerbyDad03 May 13th 16 09:12 PM

Etiquette question:

wrote:

[...]

Man, you really ****ed me off by telling me how to write a report. Who the
hell asked you anyway?

Oh...wait...umm...nevermind...I'll get back to you tomorrow.

[email protected] May 14th 16 03:57 AM

Etiquette question:

On Fri, 13 May 2016 13:21:33 -0500, philo wrote:

On 05/13/2016 01:11 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2016 11:06:57 -0500, philo wrote:

On 05/13/2016 11:04 AM, Muggles wrote:

Mostly I did it to try to embarrass my wife!

My husband always told our teens that he'd enjoy doing that to them in
front of their dates! Needless to say they never brought home their
dates until they found one they wanted to marry. They figured a spouse
would find out all the funny and embarrasing kid stories eventually anyway.

yeah

I don't know how many times I've heard my daughter yell:

"Dad NOOOOOOOOOO!"

With 2 daughters I get that "in stereo"

Then you are doing a great job!

Since they have both passed 30, they've been telling me that,

T[_6_] May 15th 16 05:42 AM

Etiquette question:

On 05/13/2016 11:43 AM, Oren wrote:
+1 After an incident that angers you, step back,take a breather and
write the report later. Being calm later, allows you to just report
facts and leave out some kind of emotional rant .

1++ except replace "step back" with "go fishing"

Oren[_2_] May 15th 16 09:20 PM

Etiquette question:

On Sat, 14 May 2016 20:42:35 -0700, T wrote:

On 05/13/2016 11:43 AM, Oren wrote:
+1 After an incident that angers you, step back,take a breather and
write the report later. Being calm later, allows you to just report
facts and leave out some kind of emotional rant .

1++ except replace "step back" with "go fishing"

Many times I drug my loaded boat to work, after midnight I could be
alone in the Everglades in 45 minutes. Miami looked great forty miles
away :-)