Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Meter Location (was Residential Electricity)

Hello, and perhaps a local ordinance question: Often you see new
town/row house developments that look very nice from the front except
they put the electric meter right in front which, IMHO, detracts from
the view. We have "smart" meters in my neck of the woods. Thanks for
your time and comment. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 6:45:07 AM UTC-4, J.B. Wood wrote:
Hello, and perhaps a local ordinance question: Often you see new
town/row house developments that look very nice from the front except
they put the electric meter right in front which, IMHO, detracts from
the view. We have "smart" meters in my neck of the woods. Thanks for
your time and comment. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:

code done for safety.

in the event of a fire or other emergeny the emergency responders need a quick easy way to cut the power / pull the meter
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 6:44 AM, J.B. Wood wrote:
Hello, and perhaps a local ordinance question: Often you see new
town/row house developments that look very nice from the front except
they put the electric meter right in front which, IMHO, detracts from
the view. We have "smart" meters in my neck of the woods. Thanks for
your time and comment. Sincerely,

I read your post three times, and cannot find
any questions.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 7:52 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/12/2016 6:44 AM, J.B. Wood wrote:
Hello, and perhaps a local ordinance question: Often you see new
town/row house developments that look very nice from the front except
they put the electric meter right in front which, IMHO, detracts from
the view. We have "smart" meters in my neck of the woods. Thanks for
your time and comment. Sincerely,

I read your post three times, and cannot find
any questions.

Sometimes the questions are not easy to discern.

OTOH, while you were reading it three times did you not, at some point,
say/wonder, "WTF?" g

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 May 2016 06:44:56 -0400, "J.B. Wood"
wrote:

Hello, and perhaps a local ordinance question: Often you see new
town/row house developments that look very nice from the front except
they put the electric meter right in front which, IMHO, detracts from
the view. We have "smart" meters in my neck of the woods. Thanks for
your time and comment. Sincerely,

The power is served from the front side of the house and there is no
easy way to have the meter in the back. They are not going to run the
service lateral all the way around a row of homes and down through the
back yards just to hide a meter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hello, and perhaps a local ordinance question: Often you see new
town/row house developments that look very nice from the front except
they put the electric meter right in front which, IMHO, detracts from
the view. We have "smart" meters in my neck of the woods. Thanks for
your time and comment. Sincerely,

The power is served from the front side of the house and there is no
easy way to have the meter in the back. They are not going to run the
service lateral all the way around a row of homes and down through the
back yards just to hide a meter.

That would be my guess too. Question for the OP, are all the condos
done that way? Certainly no uniformity here in NJ and typically they
don't put them on the front. They are usually on a side where they
are still easily accessible but out of view. Condo I had years ago
here, they were on the side, hardly visible at all. There is one
new construction house here in the $800K range where the meter is
on the front of the house, but it's not facing front, it's on part
of the garage wall, where the garage extends out beyond the front
of the rest of the house. I think that whole setup is dumb and
ugly too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/12/2016 6:44 AM, J.B. Wood wrote:
Hello, and perhaps a local ordinance question:
Often you see new
town/row house developments that look very nice
from the front except
they put the electric meter right in front which,
IMHO, detracts from
the view. We have "smart" meters in my neck of
the woods. Thanks for
your time and comment. Sincerely,

I read your post three times, and cannot find
any questions.

Read it again.

There is no question posted, only a comment on location
of a meter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 8:24 AM, Phil Kangas wrote:

"DerbyDad03"
wrote in message
On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 8:52:06 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/12/2016 6:44 AM, J.B. Wood wrote:
Hello, and perhaps a local ordinance question: Often you see new
town/row house developments that look very nice from the front
except
they put the electric meter right in front which, IMHO, detracts
from
the view. We have "smart" meters in my neck of the woods.
Thanks for
your time and comment. Sincerely,

I read your post three times, and cannot find
any questions.

Read it again.

There is no question posted, only a comment on location
of a meter.

Why does there need to be a question? It is a request for comment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 11:24:12 AM UTC-4, Phil Kangas wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/12/2016 6:44 AM, J.B. Wood wrote:
Hello, and perhaps a local ordinance question:
Often you see new
town/row house developments that look very nice
from the front except
they put the electric meter right in front which,
IMHO, detracts from
the view. We have "smart" meters in my neck of
the woods. Thanks for
your time and comment. Sincerely,

I read your post three times, and cannot find
any questions.

Read it again.

There is no question posted, only a comment on location
of a meter.

I know. I just wanted Stormy to read it again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 7:52 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/12/2016 6:44 AM, J.B. Wood wrote:
Hello, and perhaps a local ordinance question: Often you see new
town/row house developments that look very nice from the front except
they put the electric meter right in front which, IMHO, detracts from
the view. We have "smart" meters in my neck of the woods. Thanks for
your time and comment. Sincerely,

I read your post three times, and cannot find
any questions.

Sometimes the questions are not easy to discern.

OTOH, while you were reading it three
times did you not, at some point,
say/wonder, "WTF?" g

I'll admit I did wonder what was the purpose of the post.
--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 9:33 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 8:52:06 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/12/2016 6:44 AM, J.B. Wood wrote:
Hello, and perhaps a local ordinance question: Often you see new
town/row house developments that look very nice from the front except
they put the electric meter right in front which, IMHO, detracts from
the view. We have "smart" meters in my neck of the woods. Thanks for
your time and comment. Sincerely,

I read your post three times, and cannot find
any questions.

Read it again.

Why? Waste more time? Were they illegal Mexicans?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 11:24 AM, Phil Kangas wrote:

"DerbyDad03"
wrote in message
On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 8:52:06 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I read your post three times, and cannot find
any questions.

Read it again.

There is no question posted, only a comment on location
of a meter.

Derby wants me to read it again.

I don't think he noticed the queston
in my initial follow up.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 11:40 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Read it again.

There is no question posted, only a comment on location
of a meter.

I know. I just wanted Stormy to read it again.

You failed in your attempt. Did you see my
question.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 8:58 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/12/2016 11:40 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Read it again.

There is no question posted, only a comment on location
of a meter.

I know. I just wanted Stormy to read it again.

You failed in your attempt. Did you see my
question.

Does a sentence that starts with "Did" and ends with a period and not a
question mark constitute a question?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Grouping the meters on one end is certainly an option but you would
also need have raceways for the SE conductors buried under the other
units before they were built. At a certain point, voltage drop will
become an issue if these SE conductors get very long. It is a lot
easier to run a straight shot to the unit from the street.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It depends on how the condos come together. In my case they were in
clusters of 16. Mine was at right angles to the one next to it.
That corner area between the two was where the meters and AC for
both units were placed, so there was no need to run anything further,
it worked out very nicely. The next door neighbors condo had the
next condo directly abut it, the one following that was at right
angles to it, etc. So the electric for those two was again in a
corner area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 11:59:02 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/12/2016 11:40 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Read it again.

There is no question posted, only a comment on location
of a meter.

I know. I just wanted Stormy to read it again.

You failed in your attempt. Did you see my
question.

No. I scan for "question marks" so I can recognize when a question has
been asked. I didn't (and still don't) see a question mark so I assume
you already have all the answers you want.

Is there something you wanted to know? -- Now that there is a question.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
[...]

They built a bunch here that each building has the SE on the end wall w/
all the meters; each pair of two had it on facing ends, of course.

It's all whether the contractor is willing to spend the $$ for the
aesthetics or is looking for the cheapest way out. Distance is easily
compensated for at the expense of some cable size perhaps but probably
not likely there, anyway; the service to the building has to be
sufficient for the whole complex irregardless and the distance within
the building from that distribution point is likely not an issue.

As for the routing, I didn't walk through these before they were
completed so not sure how the main runs were done but I'd suspect there
was room for a conduit trace in the space between floors designed in
from the git-go...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Taxed and Spent"
wrote in message On 5/12/2016 8:24 AM, Phil Kangas
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/12/2016 6:44 AM, J.B. Wood wrote:
Hello, and perhaps a local ordinance question:
Often you see new
town/row house developments that look very nice
from the front
except
they put the electric meter right in front
which, IMHO, detracts
from
the view. We have "smart" meters in my neck of
the woods.
Thanks for
your time and comment. Sincerely,

I read your post three times, and cannot find
any questions.

Read it again.

There is no question posted, only a comment on
location
of a meter.

Why does there need to be a question? It is a
request for comment.

The OP said he had a local ordinance question but never
asked it. And he did not ask for a comment, he only
posted his comment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

OP: "thank you for your comment".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 2:24:31 PM UTC-4, Phil Kangas wrote:
"Taxed and Spent"
wrote in message On 5/12/2016 8:24 AM, Phil Kangas
wrote:

The OP said:

"Thanks for your time and comment."

Thanking someone in that manner implies that you are asking for a response.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Taxed and Spent"
wrote in message On 5/12/2016 11:24 AM, Phil Kangas
wrote:

"Taxed and Spent"
wrote in message On 5/12/2016 8:24 AM, Phil Kangas
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Ok, here's mine: "that sure is an ugly meter out
front. Someone should pass a law making it
illegal, it is so disgusting to all who have to
view such a thing. The local ordinance people
must not be doing their job. Perhaps the 'bama
should write another executive order banning
such an embarrasment to society. It should be
hidden under hillarities skirt along with her
dismal record." You're welcome.. ;)}

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

If these ran "through" the building in common areas, you need a
disconnect by the meter. If they run under the building, they can
still be service conductors, hot from the meter.
It gets more troubling if they are actually running through another
owners unit.
No builders is going to spend the extra money to deal with voltage
drop. The loophole in 310.15(B)(6) provides more voltage drop than
some people want, even with short service conductors. Condos and
townhouses may be the worst since a lot of them will go with the
minimum 100a panel and that can be fed with 4 gauge copper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller posted for all of us...

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 6:45:07 AM UTC-4, J.B. Wood wrote:
Hello, and perhaps a local ordinance question: Often you see new
town/row house developments that look very nice from the front except
they put the electric meter right in front which, IMHO, detracts from
the view. We have "smart" meters in my neck of the woods. Thanks for
your time and comment. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:

code done for safety.

in the event of a fire or other emergeny the emergency responders need a quick easy way to cut the power / pull the meter

For OP it's local custom-as you state.

Wrong Bobby, it's for the convenience of the POCO. The FD WILL find the
meter if they need too.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hello, and perhaps a local ordinance question: Often you see new
town/row house developments that look very nice from the front except
they put the electric meter right in front which, IMHO, detracts from
the view. We have "smart" meters in my neck of the woods. Thanks for
your time and comment. Sincerely,

Simple solution:
Have some Amish people move into those houses. The electric meters will
be gone quickly!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® wrote:
bob haller posted for all of us...

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 6:45:07 AM UTC-4, J.B. Wood wrote:
Hello, and perhaps a local ordinance question: Often you see new
town/row house developments that look very nice from the front
except they put the electric meter right in front which, IMHO,
detracts from the view. We have "smart" meters in my neck of the
woods. Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:

code done for safety.

in the event of a fire or other emergeny the emergency responders
need a quick easy way to cut the power / pull the meter

For OP it's local custom-as you state.

Wrong Bobby, it's for the convenience of the POCO. The FD WILL find
the meter if they need too.

Where I live finding the meter is as simple as looking at the wires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 6:06:18 PM UTC-4, Bob F wrote:
TekkieŽ wrote:
bob haller posted for all of us...

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 6:45:07 AM UTC-4, J.B. Wood wrote:
Hello, and perhaps a local ordinance question: Often you see new
town/row house developments that look very nice from the front
except they put the electric meter right in front which, IMHO,
detracts from the view. We have "smart" meters in my neck of the
woods. Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:

code done for safety.

in the event of a fire or other emergeny the emergency responders
need a quick easy way to cut the power / pull the meter

For OP it's local custom-as you state.

Wrong Bobby, it's for the convenience of the POCO. The FD WILL find
the meter if they need too.

Where I live finding the meter is as simple as looking at the wires.

You must get real confused when the service is underground.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hello, and perhaps a local ordinance question: Often you see new
town/row house developments that look very nice from the front except
they put the electric meter right in front which, IMHO, detracts from
the view. We have "smart" meters in my neck of the woods. Thanks for
your time and comment. Sincerely,

In the townhouses I live in, the meters are in front, but there's a 5'
closed wooden wall around a tiny patio that keeps people in front of
the house from seeing the meter, the front sliding glass door, the
grill, the bicycle, the scooter, the lawnmower, the garbage cans, and
the other junk stored there. The meter is really the least of it.

The electric power goes along the front of the houses and it would
have been awfully hard to have put the meters in the back. And I'm
glad the water, electricity, phone, and sewer** are in the front. In
this case I don't want workmen in back. It's bad enough the cable is
back there.

**all underground
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 posted for all of us...

Tekkie´ wrote:
[...]

Still has meter. If no life safety involved then we'll wait for the POCO
which is usually 20-30 min depending on outside factors. All responders go
through POCO supplied training-gas & electric. It all depends on
circumstances, actually power in a SFD is not a problem.

We have hotsticks and use them in commercial fires, training by POCO.

that is why people don't volunteer any more. A lot of training involved,
it's not just put the wet stuff on the red stuff. Most shocks are in major
cities because the poverty stricken drug users use boot leg hookups.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 posted for all of us...

TekkieŽ wrote:
[...]

Or more likely the illegal grow-ops who make millions selling their
poison and steeling the electricity to do it.

Residential electricity GARYWC Home Repair 38 June 9th 16 06:59 PM
Electric Meter Re-location ianw UK diy 6 October 19th 05 11:46 AM
Gas meter location - any laws/regulation on this?? [email protected] UK diy 89 July 25th 05 11:09 AM
Gas meter box location [email protected] UK diy 1 June 2nd 05 12:27 PM
Third party electricity meter to verify electricity bills New Question Home Repair 6 November 24th 04 08:27 AM