DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Driveway Green Moss (Algae?) ? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/394004-driveway-green-moss-algae.html)

Bob[_44_] May 5th 16 01:50 PM

Driveway Green Moss (Algae?) ?

Hello,

Live in Mass.
Have an Asphalt driveway that has a considerable amount
of green Moss (algae ?) on it.

Tried Chlorox, right from the jug.
Makes the Moss look unhappy for a few days, then perks right up again.
Obviously, Chlorox won't kill the stuff.

Anything I can buy in HD that comes in an easy to apply jug, that really
and truly works ?

A bit on the elderly side now, so something easy to apply is important.

Thanks, as always,
Bob

Oren[_2_] May 5th 16 05:51 PM

Driveway Green Moss (Algae?) ?

On Thu, 5 May 2016 08:50:40 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Live in Mass.
Have an Asphalt driveway that has a considerable amount
of green Moss (algae ?) on it.

Tried Chlorox, right from the jug.
Makes the Moss look unhappy for a few days, then perks right up again.
Obviously, Chlorox won't kill the stuff.

Anything I can buy in HD that comes in an easy to apply jug, that really
and truly works ?

A bit on the elderly side now, so something easy to apply is important.

Thanks, as always,
Bob

I'm sure the Borg will have something, but can't say a brand.

This article states to add liquid dish soap to the bleach solution.

Also see 5 & 6 - related to shady areas.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/kill-moss-blacktop-58355.html

Frank[_24_] May 5th 16 05:58 PM

Driveway Green Moss (Algae?) ?

On 5/5/2016 8:50 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Live in Mass.
Have an Asphalt driveway that has a considerable amount
of green Moss (algae ?) on it.

Tried Chlorox, right from the jug.
Makes the Moss look unhappy for a few days, then perks right up again.
Obviously, Chlorox won't kill the stuff.

Anything I can buy in HD that comes in an easy to apply jug, that really
and truly works ?

A bit on the elderly side now, so something easy to apply is important.

Thanks, as always,
Bob

I've got mildew spray that works and it probably has bleach in it.
You should wash off residue as it probably promotes new growth.
Shaded areas will come back and require repetition in the future.

Shade Tree Guy May 5th 16 06:19 PM

Driveway Green Moss (Algae?) ?

On Thursday, May 5, 2016 at 5:50:42 AM UTC-7, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Live in Mass.
Have an Asphalt driveway that has a considerable amount
of green Moss (algae ?) on it.

Tried Chlorox, right from the jug.
Makes the Moss look unhappy for a few days, then perks right up again.
Obviously, Chlorox won't kill the stuff.

Anything I can buy in HD that comes in an easy to apply jug, that really
and truly works ?

A bit on the elderly side now, so something easy to apply is important.

Thanks, as always,
Bob

Years ago I used bottle of iron sulphate (FeSO4) solution that killed off moss (for a while)
May have been called "moss away"

Don Y[_3_] May 5th 16 07:38 PM

Driveway Green Moss (Algae?) ?

On 5/5/2016 5:50 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Live in Mass.
Have an Asphalt driveway that has a considerable amount
of green Moss (algae ?) on it.

Tried Chlorox, right from the jug.
Makes the Moss look unhappy for a few days, then perks right up again.
Obviously, Chlorox won't kill the stuff.

Anything I can buy in HD that comes in an easy to apply jug, that really and
truly works ?

A bit on the elderly side now, so something easy to apply is important.

Copper Sulfate? (Bordeaux Mixture)

IME, mosses are hard to get rid of; any site that they occupy is
ideal for them to REoccupy!

songbird May 6th 16 08:18 PM

Driveway Green Moss (Algae?) ?

Don Y wrote:
Copper Sulfate? (Bordeaux Mixture)

no!

songbird

Oren[_2_] May 6th 16 09:33 PM

Driveway Green Moss (Algae?) ?

On Fri, 6 May 2016 15:18:33 -0400, songbird
wrote:

Copper Sulfate? (Bordeaux Mixture)

no!

Then what?

Zinc :-\

Steve Stone[_5_] May 8th 16 05:01 PM

Driveway Green Moss (Algae?) ?

Try a gallon jug of cheap white vinegar.