DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   (OT) Computer Monitor flickers (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/393131-ot-computer-monitor-flickers.html)

[email protected] April 10th 16 03:38 AM

(OT) Computer Monitor flickers

Computer Monitor flickers. It almost looks like a florescent light
before they burn out. The picture is clear, but it constantly flickers
(dims and brightens). It's a Flat screen LCD Acer 8193w. (or is that
a193w) (my eyes aint so great anymore).

I believe all the older flat screen LCD monitors have a florescent bulb
inside, where as the newest are LED. (This is an older monitor).

I'm suspecting the bulb. I'm not sure how hard they are to replace or if
bulbs are available.

This problem IS NOT the computer or video cable. I plugged in two other
working monitors onto that same cable and they work fine.

[email protected] April 10th 16 05:23 AM

On Sat, 09 Apr 2016 22:38:42 -0400, wrote:

Computer Monitor flickers. It almost looks like a florescent light
before they burn out. The picture is clear, but it constantly flickers
(dims and brightens). It's a Flat screen LCD Acer 8193w. (or is that
a193w) (my eyes aint so great anymore).

I believe all the older flat screen LCD monitors have a florescent bulb
inside, where as the newest are LED. (This is an older monitor).

I'm suspecting the bulb. I'm not sure how hard they are to replace or if
bulbs are available.

This problem IS NOT the computer or video cable. I plugged in two other
working monitors onto that same cable and they work fine.

The cold cathode flourescent tubes are available and changing them
isn't rocket science - but you do have to get right down into the guts
of the display panel, and it IS possible to screw up the whole thing.

Sometimes it's not the tube itself but the inverter that causes the
flicker.
The last one I fixed was on a laptop about 15 years ago when laptops
were expensive and money was short. The tubes were about $30? back
then, and the inverters about $50. The inverters for sure are less
money today. Ebay has them around $10 -specific ones for specific
monitors will likely be more. I see they also have 10 17 inch tubes
for $36 with free shipping from China.

bob_villain April 10th 16 02:12 PM

On Saturday, April 9, 2016 at 10:39:23 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Computer Monitor flickers. It almost looks like a florescent light
before they burn out. The picture is clear, but it constantly flickers
(dims and brightens). It's a Flat screen LCD Acer 8193w. (or is that
a193w) (my eyes aint so great anymore).

I believe all the older flat screen LCD monitors have a florescent bulb
inside, where as the newest are LED. (This is an older monitor).

I'm suspecting the bulb. I'm not sure how hard they are to replace or if
bulbs are available.

This problem IS NOT the computer or video cable. I plugged in two other
working monitors onto that same cable and they work fine.

Most likely a193W...I've found these (19") from $2 to $30 at garages sales. I heard it's easy to mess-up the reflective material and get uneven brightness, on a repair like that.