Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Delta Faucet set screw stuck, then hubby tried to drill out screw and broke off the tap out. what do i do now?

Delta faucet set screw won't budge, so hubby drilled out set screw placed tap
out and used pliers to turn it when that broke off in the hole. Now what
should we do to get that out and the set screw.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ou-883792-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 9:44:05 AM UTC-4, Tammy Longest wrote:
Delta faucet set screw won't budge, so hubby drilled out set screw placed tap
out and used pliers to turn it when that broke off in the hole. Now what
should we do to get that out and the set screw.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ou-883792-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, Mobile and Social Media Interface to
alt.home.repair and other home improvement groups

Without knowing what exactly this set screw goes into, no way to tell
you what all the options are. But sounds like you can forget about
getting the set screw out and proceed with whatever the other options
are, eg, removing/replacing a stem, the whole faucet, etc. Unless there
is enough of the "tap out" let, (whatever that is, assuming you mean an
easy out type screw extractor) so you can grip it with pliers and that
works, which seems unlikely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/2016 9:44 AM, Tammy Longest wrote:
Delta faucet set screw won't budge, so hubby drilled out set screw
placed tap
out and used pliers to turn it when that broke off in the hole. Now what
should we do to get that out and the set screw.

Great dilemma you have. I read a web page of someone else who broke
their thread tap and wanted to drill it out. The suggestion was a
carbide drill bit.

http://www.shopyourway.com/questions/1089302

but I'm also thinking it might be a lot easier time-wise to put in a new
faucet.

Jan Alter
Posted to alt.home.repair

if its a delta single handle..........

use a hacksaw to cut the handle apart, and the top of the ball, then replace parts as needed
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Apr 2016 13:44:01 +0000, Tammy Longest
wrote:

Delta faucet set screw won't budge, so hubby drilled out set screw placed tap
out and used pliers to turn it when that broke off in the hole. Now what
should we do to get that out and the set screw.

Contact Delta and get a free replacement. They are guaranteed for
life. Don't tell them about the drilling, just the problem that had
you working on it in the first place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to trader_4, Tammy Longest wrote:
Could I try and drill out the tap out? Without getting this off I can not get
the faucet off.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ou-883792-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jan Alter" wrote in message ...

On 4/8/2016 9:44 AM, Tammy Longest wrote:
Delta faucet set screw won't budge, so hubby drilled out set screw
placed tap
out and used pliers to turn it when that broke off in the hole. Now what
should we do to get that out and the set screw.

Great dilemma you have. I read a web page of someone else who broke
their thread tap and wanted to drill it out. The suggestion was a
carbide drill bit.

http://www.shopyourway.com/questions/1089302

but I'm also thinking it might be a lot easier time-wise to put in a new
faucet.

Jan Alter

Carbide bit would not help especially if you have brooking tap
the only way to get tap out, you use old top sharping it up and
try to brake remaining part into micro peace's inside of hole, broking
peace's can be pull out by use of magnet or air pressure
(air use use safety glasses)
it is very slow process and in most cases you will need renew the
treads with larger tap (blind-tap) and installing larger set screw.
Note: before you use new tap make sure that all parts of old tap or out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 12:44:05 PM UTC-4, Tammy Longest wrote:
replying to trader_4, Tammy Longest wrote:
Could I try and drill out the tap out? Without getting this off I can not get
the faucet off.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ou-883792-.htm

The tap is hardened steel, basically it's as hard as a drill bit.
Theoretically, with the right drill bit, in the right set up, eg drill
press where you have total control, *maybe*, you could, but even then
I wouldn't waste my time attempting.
Where it is in the sink, with a handheld drill, fuggadaboutit.

I've yet to see a faucet where a set screw keeps you from just removing
and replacing the whole faucet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 9:44:05 AM UTC-4, Tammy Longest wrote:
Delta faucet set screw won't budge, so hubby drilled out set screw placed tap
out and used pliers to turn it when that broke off in the hole. Now what
should we do to get that out and the set screw.

Just imagine how much a picture would help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony944 really needs to get help with spelling!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 11:14:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Tony944 really needs to get help with spelling!!!!!

I tink he went to skewl in Australia and is an Ozzie from down under.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 11:01:04 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 9:44:05 AM UTC-4, Tammy Longest wrote:
Delta faucet set screw won't budge, so hubby drilled out set screw placed tap
out and used pliers to turn it when that broke off in the hole. Now what
should we do to get that out and the set screw.

Just imagine how much a picture would help.

A link to the picture would be "more gooder"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Delta faucet set screw won't budge, so hubby drilled out set screw placed tap
out and used pliers to turn it when that broke off in the hole. Now what
should we do to get that out and the set screw.

Kitchen faucet, bathroom, where?

One handle for hot and cold both, two handles?

If it's a single handle kitchen faucet, a hacksaw can cut through the
handle so it's removed and replaced. There's a quarter inch shaft in
the middle and if you're lucky, do a good job, you wont' damage that,
but if worst comes to worst you can buy a new ball too.

I only found it in white. Maybe make sure it's sold in chrome too
before cutting the current one in half.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Sin...98WH/203935431
$22
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 8:44:05 AM UTC-5, Tammy Longest wrote:
Delta faucet set screw won't budge, so hubby drilled out set screw placed tap
out and used pliers to turn it when that broke off in the hole. Now what
should we do to get that out and the set screw.
--

What I've done in the past is to use my Dremel Tool with a carbide bur and grind the hardened tool steel out of the hole. Oh yea, tell hubby to invest in a tap wrench if he decides to run a tap into anymore holes. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tap Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do what Micky says!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

Delta faucet set screw won't budge, so hubby drilled out set screw placed tap
out and used pliers to turn it when that broke off in the hole. Now what
should we do to get that out and the set screw.

Kitchen faucet, bathroom, where?

One handle for hot and cold both, two handles?

If it's a single handle kitchen faucet, a hacksaw can cut through the
handle so it's removed and replaced. There's a quarter inch shaft in
the middle and if you're lucky, do a good job, you wont' damage that,
but if worst comes to worst you can buy a new ball too.

I only found it in white. Maybe make sure it's sold in chrome too
before cutting the current one in half.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Sin...-Handle-Kit-in

-White-RP28898WH/203935431
$22

If you do this, put ANTI-SIEZE on the threads of the new set screw.
Next time it will come right out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ups.com,
Tammy Longest typed:
replying to trader_4, Tammy Longest wrote:
Could I try and drill out the tap out? Without getting this off I
can not get the faucet off.

Any chance that you could provide a photo or two? That would probably help.
If you take a photo with a digital camera you can use http://tinypic.com/ to
upload the photo(s) and it will give you a link to the photo(s) that you
could post here.

Without seeing what you really have there, one guess is that using a hack
saw (or maybe an angle grinder) to get the existing handle off may be a good
start -- then deal with the "tap out" that you said broke off once the
handle is out of the way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

| Could I try and drill out the tap out? Without getting this off I can not
get
| the faucet off.

It happens that I had the exact same problem this
week. I was going to replace the washers in our
kitchen faucet. The red/blue plug was hard to get
out, then I couldn't get the set screw to turn. I
tried WD-40 for a few days. No help. I've decided
to leave it for now and probably replace the faucet
if it ever gets leaky.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Mayayana" wrote:

| Could I try and drill out the tap out? Without getting this off I can not
get
| the faucet off.

It happens that I had the exact same problem this
week. I was going to replace the washers in our
kitchen faucet. The red/blue plug was hard to get
out, then I couldn't get the set screw to turn. I
tried WD-40 for a few days. No help. I've decided
to leave it for now and probably replace the faucet
if it ever gets leaky.

It is too late for the OP, where a hacksaw appears to be the best tool
to use!

If it is just a stuck set screw, I would try using the correct Allen bit
in a drill that has a clutch for driving screws. With the clutch set to
the lowest number and drill set for reverse, it is unlikely to strip the
Allen screw. Vibration of the clutch slipping may loosen the screw.

Increasing the clutch setting may then be necessary if the screw does
not move. At some higher setting it may strip the Allen screw. Then
the hacksaw approach is less expensive than a new faucet.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,uk.legal

On 4/8/2016 6:44 AM, Tammy Longest wrote:
Delta faucet set screw won't budge, so hubby drilled out set screw
placed tap
out and used pliers to turn it when that broke off in the hole. Now what
should we do to get that out and the set screw.

Kick hubby to the curb. He's obviously outa his league when it comes to
man's work.
He might be better off out in the garden, with the other pansies.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.support.depression

On 4/8/2016 9:44 AM, Tony944 wrote:

Carbide bit would not help especially if you have brooking tap
the only way to get tap out, you use old top sharping it up and try to
brake remaining part into micro peace's inside of hole, broking peace's
can be pull out by use of magnet or air pressure (air use use safety
glasses) it is very slow process and in most cases you will need renew
the treads with larger tap (blind-tap) and installing larger set screw.
Note: before you use new tap make sure that all parts of old tap or out.

Is it fair to say that Tony is an unlikely college graduate?
Just askin'.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.support.depression

Not only that Tony is not college graduate but he does not have any English
education,
whatever he learn it is hard way that he is able to speak, read and write
"two languages"
neither god, but whatever he learn he did it at his own expanse and not at
tax payer
as some others have.

"Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote in message

On 4/8/2016 9:44 AM, Tony944 wrote:

Carbide bit would not help especially if you have brooking tap
the only way to get tap out, you use old top sharping it up and try to
brake remaining part into micro peace's inside of hole, broking peace's
can be pull out by use of magnet or air pressure (air use use safety
glasses) it is very slow process and in most cases you will need renew
the treads with larger tap (blind-tap) and installing larger set screw.
Note: before you use new tap make sure that all parts of old tap or out.

Is it fair to say that Tony is an unlikely college graduate?
Just askin'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Get a Chicago brand faucet.
All other brands are junk.
You'll thank me in the long run.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

Delta faucet set screw won't budge, so hubby drilled out set screw placed tap
out and used pliers to turn it when that broke off in the hole. Now what
should we do to get that out and the set screw.

Kitchen faucet, bathroom, where?

One handle for hot and cold both, two handles?

If it's a single handle kitchen faucet, a hacksaw can cut through the
handle so it's removed and replaced. There's a quarter inch shaft in
the middle and if you're lucky, do a good job, you wont' damage that,
but if worst comes to worst you can buy a new ball too.

I only found it in white. Maybe make sure it's sold in chrome too
before cutting the current one in half.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Sin...98WH/203935431
$22

I only looked in HD, not elsewhere online.

Of course the worst would be you'd have to buy a whole faucet and just
use the handle. Then you'd have a spare faucet, but someday you'll
find someone with a bad faucet and a good handle. It's still a lot
easier than replacing the whole faucet which has some possibility of
creating leaks too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 11:13:56 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| Could I try and drill out the tap out? Without getting this off I can not
get
| the faucet off.

It happens that I had the exact same problem this
week. I was going to replace the washers in our
kitchen faucet. The red/blue plug was hard to get
out, then I couldn't get the set screw to turn. I
tried WD-40 for a few days. No help. I've decided
to leave it for now and probably replace the faucet
if it ever gets leaky.

Unlike some here, I love WD-40, but I think something like Liquid
Wrench would work better to unstick stuck screws. Maybe it's thinner?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2016 5:14 PM, David wrote:

"Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote in message

On 4/8/2016 9:44 AM, Tony944 wrote:

Carbide bit would not help especially if you have brooking tap
the only way to get tap out, you use old top sharping it up and try to
brake remaining part into micro peace's inside of hole, broking peace's
can be pull out by use of magnet or air pressure (air use use safety
glasses) it is very slow process and in most cases you will need renew
the treads with larger tap (blind-tap) and installing larger set screw.
Note: before you use new tap make sure that all parts of old tap or out.

Is it fair to say that Tony is an unlikely college graduate?
Just askin'.

I noticed that.

Many college graduates (aside from engineers) have no idea which end of
a screwdriver to hold.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 17:41:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Many college graduates (aside from engineers) have no idea which end of
a screwdriver to hold.

Educated idiots, I tell ya.

Some "engineers"... have an addiction of self worth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Delta Faucet / types of screw drivers

On 4/10/2016 6:07 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 17:41:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Many college graduates (aside from engineers) have no idea which end of
a screwdriver to hold.

Educated idiots, I tell ya.

Some "engineers"... have an addiction of self worth.

One engineer told me of a friend who used
plus and minus screw drivers. Describing
the tip of the blade, of course.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 20:35:17 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 4/10/2016 6:07 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 17:41:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Many college graduates (aside from engineers) have no idea which end of
a screwdriver to hold.

Educated idiots, I tell ya.

Some "engineers"... have an addiction of self worth.

One engineer told me of a friend who used
plus and minus screw drivers. Describing
the tip of the blade, of course.

I won't tell you about a truss engineer that took money to support a
gambling habit. I think my friend survived.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2016 9:01 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 20:35:17 -0400, Stormin Mormon
One engineer told me of a friend who used
plus and minus screw drivers. Describing
the tip of the blade, of course.

I won't tell you about a truss engineer that took money to support a
gambling habit. I think my friend survived.

Oh, that's a real shame.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 9:33:19 AM UTC-7, Micky wrote:
On Fri, 08 Apr 2016 23:11:26 -0400, Micky
wrote:

snippage

I only looked in HD, not elsewhere online.

Of course the worst would be you'd have to buy a whole faucet and just
use the handle. Then you'd have a spare faucet, but someday you'll
find someone with a bad faucet and a good handle. It's still a lot
easier than replacing the whole faucet which has some possibility of
creating leaks too.

Doesn't work, I have a stack of perfectly good left hand leather work gloves. I am right handed so that is the one that wears out. So far I haven't found a "lefty" to trade with

Posted to alt.home.repair

| Unlike some here, I love WD-40, but I think something like Liquid
| Wrench would work better to unstick stuck screws. Maybe it's thinner?

In this case it's also hard to get it in there. The
screw head points down when the water is off. I'd
have to turn off the water just to leave the screw
in a horizontal position. There's no way to leave it
so that the liquid can soak in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2016 9:04 AM, Mayayana wrote:
| Unlike some here, I love WD-40, but I think something like Liquid
| Wrench would work better to unstick stuck screws. Maybe it's thinner?

In this case it's also hard to get it in there. The
screw head points down when the water is off. I'd
have to turn off the water just to leave the screw
in a horizontal position. There's no way to leave it
so that the liquid can soak in.

Capillary action. It will soak in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Micky, Russell K Acton wrote:
I tried Liquid Wrench and I have used a soldering iron to heat it up but
nothing happens. The set screw is still stuck.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ou-883792-.htm

Removing stuck ss screw from aluminum Pete Keillor[_2_] Metalworking 12 August 9th 12 08:46 PM
Stuck muffler screw stryped[_2_] Metalworking 29 January 20th 09 01:39 AM
stuck set screw cc Woodworking 12 September 29th 07 04:33 PM
Delta faucet screw miamicuse Home Repair 4 November 20th 05 08:08 PM
Stuck screw-in light bulbs. PVR Home Repair 19 December 29th 03 01:16 AM