DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   (OT) Do all versions of Windows have START HELP? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/392775-ot-do-all-versions-windows-have-start-help.html)

[email protected] March 31st 16 05:42 AM

(OT) Do all versions of Windows have START HELP?

Do all versions of Windows have START HELP?

More than once I have run into people who dont know what version of
Windows they have.

I know in Win98, Win2000, and XP, you click the START button, and choose
HELP, and the version pops up. I have not used any Windows newer than
XP.....

Is this the same for Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 10?

Yea, I know there are utilities, such as CPU-ID which will also show it,
but I dont carry that util around with me.

It's amazing how many people dont have a clue which OS they are using...

itsjoannotjoann March 31st 16 07:13 AM

On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 11:43:31 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Do all versions of Windows have START HELP?

More than once I have run into people who dont know what version of
Windows they have.

I know in Win98, Win2000, and XP, you click the START button, and choose
HELP, and the version pops up. I have not used any Windows newer than
XP.....

Is this the same for Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 10?

Yea, I know there are utilities, such as CPU-ID which will also show it,
but I dont carry that util around with me.

It's amazing how many people dont have a clue which OS they are using...

There's several different ways I can find out which system
I'm running. I know I'm running W-10 but I can click on
my Control Panel and within it I can click on Administrative
Tools and it will tell me what I'm running.

Nil[_3_] March 31st 16 08:45 AM

On 31 Mar 2016, wrote in alt.home.repair:

Do all versions of Windows have START HELP?

More than once I have run into people who dont know what version
of Windows they have.

I know in Win98, Win2000, and XP, you click the START button, and
choose HELP, and the version pops up. I have not used any Windows
newer than XP.....

Is this the same for Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 10?

For the past several versions of Windows, click on Start | Run (or hit
Windowskey+R) and type in "winver". A box pops up showing the version.

[email protected] March 31st 16 10:36 AM

(OT) Do all versions of Windows have START HELP?

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 03:45:54 -0400, Nil
wrote:

On 31 Mar 2016, wrote in alt.home.repair:

Do all versions of Windows have START HELP?

More than once I have run into people who dont know what version
of Windows they have.

I know in Win98, Win2000, and XP, you click the START button, and
choose HELP, and the version pops up. I have not used any Windows
newer than XP.....

Is this the same for Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 10?

For the past several versions of Windows, click on Start | Run (or hit
Windowskey+R) and type in "winver". A box pops up showing the version.

OK, I'm running Win98 right now, and that works in 98 too. But if I go
to control panel and click on SYSTEM, I get more detailed info (It says
Win98 second edition 4.10.2222 A (Not just Windows 98).

Mayayana March 31st 16 02:10 PM

(OT) Do all versions of Windows have START HELP?

| OK, I'm running Win98 right now, and that works in 98 too. But if I go
| to control panel and click on SYSTEM, I get more detailed info (It says
| Win98 second edition 4.10.2222 A (Not just Windows 98).

You can do that in any version.

[email protected] March 31st 16 02:19 PM

(OT) Do all versions of Windows have START HELP?

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 09:10:48 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| OK, I'm running Win98 right now, and that works in 98 too. But if I go
| to control panel and click on SYSTEM, I get more detailed info (It says
| Win98 second edition 4.10.2222 A (Not just Windows 98).

You can do that in any version.

Ok, thats what I wanted to know. At least that way there is a univeral
way to find out the version.

Jon Danniken[_7_] March 31st 16 02:46 PM

On 03/30/2016 11:13 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 11:43:31 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Do all versions of Windows have START HELP?

More than once I have run into people who dont know what version of
Windows they have.

I know in Win98, Win2000, and XP, you click the START button, and choose
HELP, and the version pops up. I have not used any Windows newer than
XP.....

Is this the same for Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 10?

Yea, I know there are utilities, such as CPU-ID which will also show it,
but I dont carry that util around with me.

It's amazing how many people dont have a clue which OS they are using...

There's several different ways I can find out which system
I'm running. I know I'm running W-10 but I can click on
my Control Panel and within it I can click on Administrative
Tools and it will tell me what I'm running.

Just hit Win+Break to open up the can't remember what it's called
window. It has all of the information there.

Jon

Mayayana March 31st 16 02:59 PM

(OT) Do all versions of Windows have START HELP?

| Just hit Win+Break to open up the can't remember what it's called
| window. It has all of the information there.

?? For me that opens the Start Menu, which I
could do with a click of the mouse. I don't
understand people who memorize obscure command
lines for control panel applets, or obscure key
combinations for other operations, when we've
had a mouse ever since the 20th century. :)

rbowman March 31st 16 03:10 PM

On 03/30/2016 10:42 PM, wrote:
It's amazing how many people dont have a clue which OS they are using...

If they sleep through the startup splash screens knowing which OS they
are using isn't going to help. For many people a computer is like a
refrigerator. If it keeps the beer cold, who cares how it works?

Ed Pawlowski March 31st 16 04:21 PM

On 3/31/2016 9:59 AM, Mayayana wrote:
| Just hit Win+Break to open up the can't remember what it's called
| window. It has all of the information there.

?? For me that opens the Start Menu, which I
could do with a click of the mouse. I don't
understand people who memorize obscure command
lines for control panel applets, or obscure key
combinations for other operations, when we've
had a mouse ever since the 20th century. :)

I can use a key combination easier and faster than grab a mouse and move
it across the screen for a click or three. I learned to do things like
that when DOS was the norm.

Mayayana March 31st 16 04:29 PM

(OT) Do all versions of Windows have START HELP?

| I learned to do things like
| that when DOS was the norm.

Exactly. Welcome to the modern era. Let
me know if you need help with those electric
car windows. :)

Don Y[_3_] March 31st 16 06:12 PM

On 3/31/2016 7:10 AM, rbowman wrote:
If they sleep through the startup splash screens knowing which OS they are
using isn't going to help. For many people a computer is like a refrigerator.
If it keeps the beer cold, who cares how it works?

Exactly.

And, "which OS" is actually a pretty useless distinction -- for anything
more than a generalization ("I drive a Chevy"). Given the preponderence
of service packs, updates, etc. the "OS" designation tells anyone truly
interested virtually nothing about what they can expect from that
particular machine.