Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Is it possible to connect a HDTV to the VGA connector on a computer?

I have lots of music and other videos that I've downloaded from youtube.
Instead of watching them on my monitor, I'd like to be able to use my
larger HDTV as a monitor. The computer(s) only have VGA (or is is called
SVGA), connectors. One computer has Win98se, the other has XP-Pro SP3.
(If the OS matters). [Both OSs play the videos fine].

Has anyone done this?

Another thing, if this is possible, do they sell cable couplers? I will
have to couple two 6' cables together to reach the TV. (Or see if I can
buy a longer one).

As far as the sound, I can just use my computer speakers, rather than
the tv speakers....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have lots of music and other videos that I've downloaded from youtube.
Instead of watching them on my monitor, I'd like to be able to use my
larger HDTV as a monitor. The computer(s) only have VGA (or is is called
SVGA), connectors. One computer has Win98se, the other has XP-Pro SP3.
(If the OS matters). [Both OSs play the videos fine].

Has anyone done this?

Another thing, if this is possible, do they sell cable couplers? I will
have to couple two 6' cables together to reach the TV. (Or see if I can
buy a longer one).

As far as the sound, I can just use my computer speakers, rather than
the tv speakers....

They sell many of them on ebay . Order direct from China and get it in
about 3 weeks for around $ 20.

Ebay number:
230916606551

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/17/2016 4:55 PM, Frank wrote:
On 3/17/2016 6:39 PM, wrote:
I have lots of music and other videos that I've downloaded from youtube.
Instead of watching them on my monitor, I'd like to be able to use my
larger HDTV as a monitor. The computer(s) only have VGA (or is is called
SVGA), connectors. One computer has Win98se, the other has XP-Pro SP3.
(If the OS matters). [Both OSs play the videos fine].

Has anyone done this?

Another thing, if this is possible, do they sell cable couplers? I will
have to couple two 6' cables together to reach the TV. (Or see if I can
buy a longer one).

As far as the sound, I can just use my computer speakers, rather than
the tv speakers....

You can do it on a smart TV or a TV that you have added a Roku device to.
Smart TV set up with internet wifi can access the web but selection and
browsing is more difficult since you do not have a keyboard.

You can do it if your TV has a VGA/DVI input and is "multisync"
capable (commonplace if it has such an input). Note that
you're usually not "HD" at that point.

[This is how we watch DVD's]

You can also use an SVideo adapter -- if your TV has such an input.

An old PC makes a cheap "DVD player", media tank, HTPC, etc.
and is usually far more responsive than a "smart TV"
(i.e., the PC determines the performance of the setup, instead
of the *crippled* PC inside the smart TV)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/17/2016 8:19 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 19:55:26 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 3/17/2016 6:39 PM,
wrote:
I have lots of music and other videos that I've downloaded from youtube.
Instead of watching them on my monitor, I'd like to be able to use my
larger HDTV as a monitor. The computer(s) only have VGA (or is is called
SVGA), connectors. One computer has Win98se, the other has XP-Pro SP3.
(If the OS matters). [Both OSs play the videos fine].

Has anyone done this?

Another thing, if this is possible, do they sell cable couplers? I will
have to couple two 6' cables together to reach the TV. (Or see if I can
buy a longer one).

As far as the sound, I can just use my computer speakers, rather than
the tv speakers....

You can do it on a smart TV or a TV that you have added a Roku device
to. Smart TV set up with internet wifi can access the web but selection
and browsing is more difficult since you do not have a keyboard.

All of my TVs have VGA in. Not all TVs do. They also have HDMI and
DVI (and some have svga and composite and component)

My comment is based on my experience with my new smart TV where I can
plug in a USB flash drive with stuff downloaded from my computer and
view it on the smart TV by choosing the device option and clicking on
the file.

There is a USB port on one of my other HDTV's but it cannot access the
flash drive so I assume the Roku type device is built into the smart TV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

i 2nd Ebay, for inexpensive connectors

marc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 7:07:51 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

You can also use an SVideo adapter -- if your TV has such an input.

Old flat-panel TV's and SDTV capable of 480i/480p (10-15yo) had S-Vid...they aren't HD. My 6 yo Sammy has VGA, DVI, HDMI, and composite video.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 21:14:33 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

I have lots of music and other videos that I've downloaded from
youtube. Instead of watching them on my monitor, I'd like to be able
to use my larger HDTV as a monitor. The computer(s) only have VGA (or
is is called SVGA), connectors. One computer has Win98se, the other
has XP-Pro SP3. (If the OS matters). [Both OSs play the videos fine].

Has anyone done this?

Another thing, if this is possible, do they sell cable couplers? I
will have to couple two 6' cables together to reach the TV. (Or see
if I can buy a longer one).

As far as the sound, I can just use my computer speakers, rather than
the tv speakers....

I have a VGA/HDMI adapter on a comp and use the TV as a monitor . Unless you
have a dual-output video card you will have ONLY the TV as a monitor .
Depending on your TV the computer screen can be hard to read . I also run
XP-Proo/SP3 on that comp and it works just fine except for some streaming
applications .

Pretty much any new TV will work as a monitor and you can always bump
up the font size. I was running W/98 on old CRT TVs via a composite
out card. I wouldn't want to be doing word processing all day but
running DVDs and music players was OK
Right now I am running on a 40", a 58" and a 32" flat screens. All
have the VGA ports.
On the 40 I also have another PC with HDMI out that really looks good.
It is going to be my "cable cutter" box when I get the DVR functions
running.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a VGA/HDMI adapter on a comp and use the TV as a monitor . Unless you
have a dual-output video card you will have ONLY the TV as a monitor .

Good point, but if he's not happy he can get a video card with dual
output. $25 should be enough iirc.

Depending on your TV the computer screen can be hard to read . I also run
XP-Proo/SP3 on that comp and it works just fine except for some streaming
applications .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 03:12:58 -0400, Micky
wrote:

Good point, but if he's not happy he can get a video card with dual
output. $25 should be enough iirc.

I have a 2 for one splitter on a 15 pin cable that seems to work just
fine