Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Extracting Plastic Screws With Broken Heads?

My vinyl outdoor window blinds are fasten to the siding with plastic screws.
After a heavy wind the other night, one of the blinds was blown off because the
heads of the plastic screws snapped. I need to remove the headless plastic screws.

I have a screw extractor that I could use. Also, since the screws are plastic,
I could just drill them out. Any ideas on the best approach to extract the screws?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2016 12:40 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
My vinyl outdoor window blinds are fasten to the siding with plastic screws.
After a heavy wind the other night, one of the blinds was blown off because the
heads of the plastic screws snapped. I need to remove the headless plastic screws.

I have a screw extractor that I could use. Also, since the screws are plastic,
I could just drill them out. Any ideas on the best approach to extract the screws?

I'd use the extractor just as if they were metal screws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 12:40:28 PM UTC-5, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
My vinyl outdoor window blinds are fasten to the siding with plastic screws.
After a heavy wind the other night, one of the blinds was blown off because the
heads of the plastic screws snapped. I need to remove the headless plastic screws.

I have a screw extractor that I could use. Also, since the screws are plastic,
I could just drill them out. Any ideas on the best approach to extract the screws?

As you said, since they are plastic, I would try a drill bit that is smaller
than the screws and drill out the center.

After that I would think that you be able to use a sharp tool and "collapse"
the side of the screw towards the center enough to get some needle nose
pliers on it and twist/wrestle it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 12:40:25 -0500, Arnie Goetchius
wrote:

My vinyl outdoor window blinds are fasten to the siding with plastic screws.
After a heavy wind the other night, one of the blinds was blown off because the
heads of the plastic screws snapped. I need to remove the headless plastic screws.

I have a screw extractor that I could use. Also, since the screws are plastic,
I could just drill them out. Any ideas on the best approach to extract the screws?

Depending on the wall construction, one option would be to punch the
screw in and allow it to fall into a wall cavity. YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My vinyl outdoor window blinds are fasten to the siding with plastic screws.
After a heavy wind the other night, one of the blinds was blown off because the
heads of the plastic screws snapped. I need to remove the headless plastic screws.

I have a screw extractor that I could use. Also, since the screws are plastic,
I could just drill them out. Any ideas on the best approach to extract the screws?

Depending on the wall construction, one option would be to punch the
screw in and allow it to fall into a wall cavity. YMMV

These blinds are on a garage window and I can easily see that the screws go into
a 2x4 so that would not work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 12:40:28 PM UTC-5, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
My vinyl outdoor window blinds are fasten to the siding with plastic screws.
After a heavy wind the other night, one of the blinds was blown off because the
heads of the plastic screws snapped. I need to remove the headless plastic screws.

I have a screw extractor that I could use. Also, since the screws are plastic,
I could just drill them out. Any ideas on the best approach to extract the screws?

As you said, since they are plastic, I would try a drill bit that is smaller
than the screws and drill out the center.

After that I would think that you be able to use a sharp tool and "collapse"
the side of the screw towards the center enough to get some needle nose
pliers on it and twist/wrestle it out.

I think I might start with one of the 4 screws involved and see how your
approach works.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My vinyl outdoor window blinds are fasten to the siding with plastic screws.
After a heavy wind the other night, one of the blinds was blown off because the
heads of the plastic screws snapped. I need to remove the headless plastic screws.

I have a screw extractor that I could use. Also, since the screws are plastic,
I could just drill them out. Any ideas on the best approach to extract the screws?

Depending on the wall construction, one option would be to punch the
screw in and allow it to fall into a wall cavity. YMMV

These blinds are on a garage window and I can easily see that the screws go into
a 2x4 so that would not work.

Then. You could drill it out (minimum sized bit necessary) as you
mentioned and put a longer screw into the stud. Thinking out loud

Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky wrote:
On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 15:16:46 -0500, Arnie Goetchius
wrote:

wrote:

My vinyl outdoor window blinds are fasten to the siding with plastic screws.
After a heavy wind the other night, one of the blinds was blown off because the
heads of the plastic screws snapped. I need to remove the headless plastic screws.

I have a screw extractor that I could use. Also, since the screws are plastic,
I could just drill them out. Any ideas on the best approach to extract the screws?

Heat up a small screwdriver shove it down in the plastic and then
squirt some water on it to cool it. It should be pretty well stuck in
there and the screw will back out.

I haven't had this problem but this sounds like the best idea.

If for some reason you use a drill, I'd use a left-handed drill bit
with a reversible drill. Sometimes after a while it will grab the
screw and unscrew it, at least with those metal screws with wierdo
heads that appliances may be assembled wth. Harbor-Freight has a set
of 4 drills in different sizes for a low price.

I have a set of those drills but have never used it. Will have to look at a
Youtube video to see how it works.

LOL. It works the same as the other ones but you have to set the
reversible drill to reverse!

Everything I read and see about these extracters is that there is still a head
to work with. In my case, that head is broken off and only the shaft is left so
an extractor is not going to work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Arnie Goetchius wrote:
My vinyl outdoor window blinds are fasten to the siding with plastic screws.
After a heavy wind the other night, one of the blinds was blown off because the
heads of the plastic screws snapped. I need to remove the headless plastic screws.

I have a screw extractor that I could use. Also, since the screws are plastic,
I could just drill them out. Any ideas on the best approach to extract the screws?

For the record, I should have said "outdoor window shutters"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 21:42:57 -0500, Arnie Goetchius
wrote:

Arnie Goetchius wrote:
My vinyl outdoor window blinds are fasten to the siding with plastic screws.
After a heavy wind the other night, one of the blinds was blown off because the
heads of the plastic screws snapped. I need to remove the headless plastic screws.

I have a screw extractor that I could use. Also, since the screws are plastic,
I could just drill them out. Any ideas on the best approach to extract the screws?

For the record, I should have said "outdoor window shutters"

Regardless. The same principle applies, in my view

"Plastic screws"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Arnie Goetchius wrote:
My vinyl outdoor window blinds are fasten to the siding with plastic screws.
After a heavy wind the other night, one of the blinds was blown off because the
heads of the plastic screws snapped. I need to remove the headless plastic screws.

I have a screw extractor that I could use. Also, since the screws are plastic,
I could just drill them out. Any ideas on the best approach to extract the screws?

For the record, I should have said "outdoor window shutters"

Regardless. The same principle applies, in my view

"Plastic screws"

Here appears to be the answer:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/remove-...ner-31091.html

Sounds pretty much like what I suggested.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Arnie Goetchius wrote:
My vinyl outdoor window blinds are fasten to the siding with plastic screws.
After a heavy wind the other night, one of the blinds was blown off because the
heads of the plastic screws snapped. I need to remove the headless plastic screws.

I have a screw extractor that I could use. Also, since the screws are plastic,
I could just drill them out. Any ideas on the best approach to extract the screws?

For the record, I should have said "outdoor window shutters"

Regardless. The same principle applies, in my view

"Plastic screws"

Here appears to be the answer:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/remove-...ner-31091.html

Sounds pretty much like what I suggested.

Correct. As soon as the temperature warms up, I will give it a shot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Arnie Goetchius wrote:
My vinyl outdoor window blinds are fasten to the siding with plastic screws.
After a heavy wind the other night, one of the blinds was blown off because the
heads of the plastic screws snapped. I need to remove the headless plastic screws.

I have a screw extractor that I could use. Also, since the screws are plastic,
I could just drill them out. Any ideas on the best approach to extract the screws?

For the record, I should have said "outdoor window shutters"

Regardless. The same principle applies, in my view

"Plastic screws"

Here appears to be the answer:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/remove-...ner-31091.html

Sounds pretty much like what I suggested.

Turns out I have quite a few shutters where there are one or two broken
fasteners but the other four are still okay. The question is will I be able to
drill out the old broken fastener(s) without removing the shutter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Arnie Goetchius wrote:
My vinyl outdoor window blinds are fasten to the siding with plastic screws.
After a heavy wind the other night, one of the blinds was blown off because the
heads of the plastic screws snapped. I need to remove the headless plastic screws.

I have a screw extractor that I could use. Also, since the screws are plastic,
I could just drill them out. Any ideas on the best approach to extract the screws?

For the record, I should have said "outdoor window shutters"

Regardless. The same principle applies, in my view

"Plastic screws"

Here appears to be the answer:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/remove-...ner-31091.html

Sounds pretty much like what I suggested.

Here is a YouTube that describes the repair process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGT7l5ZmTgw
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Arnie Goetchius wrote:
My vinyl outdoor window blinds are fasten to the siding with plastic screws.
After a heavy wind the other night, one of the blinds was blown off because the
heads of the plastic screws snapped. I need to remove the headless plastic screws.

I have a screw extractor that I could use. Also, since the screws are plastic,
I could just drill them out. Any ideas on the best approach to extract the screws?

For the record, I should have said "outdoor window shutters"

Regardless. The same principle applies, in my view

"Plastic screws"

Here appears to be the answer:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/remove-...ner-31091.html

Sounds pretty much like what I suggested.

Here is a YouTube that describes the repair process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGT7l5ZmTgw

I think this pretty much answers your question related to removing the broken
ones without removing the shutter. :-(

When I installed my shutters I used screws and painted them to match. This makes
removal and re-installation easy. The plastic plugs have been sitting in a drawer in
my shop for a couple of decades.

Since you now have larger holes, it would take a bit of work to convert to screws.