DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Capping a Toilet Flange (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/389756-capping-toilet-flange.html)

[email protected] January 28th 16 12:06 PM

Capping a Toilet Flange

I have a small "powder room" in my house which is never used. All it has
is a toilet and sink. The water pipes to that room are disconnected.
There were some broken pipes when I got this home because the pipes had
frozen before I bought it. I replaced the pipes but not to that room,
because they are very long, and I saw no reason to need a powder room.
There are no kids, so the main bathroom is all thats needed.

In the meantime I always have small repair projects sitting on my
computer desk or the kitchen table. Rather than having those projects
laying around the house, I am thinking about turning that powder room
into a repair shop. It's a little small, but I can make it work.

Removing the sink is easy. Just remove the sink itself and cap the pvc
drain pipe. The cabinet under the sink will work well as a place to put
tools and parts, and a piece of plywood will make a good top to put my
projects.

The toilet is on the other side of the room. I want to remove that and
put some shelves there. But I dont want to remove the toilet flange (for
resale value, not to mention having to change the piping). I just want
to CAP that flange. It will be under the shelf, so appearance is not an
issue.

Do they make some sort of cap for a toilet flange? (It's PVC).
I suppose I could use plywood or metal, but I want it sealed properly so
sewer gas dont leak into the room, (or sewer water if there ever was a
backup). I did look at one of the "big box" home stores and did not see
anything. I imagine this is something I'll have to buy from an actual
plumbing store, or buy it online. (If such a thing exists).

Anyone know if there is something made for this, and what it's called?

Also, if I do have to make something, I'm sure some silicone caulk would
make a tight seal, but first I'd have to remove all of the old wax seal
residue. Is there some solvent or something that will remove that wax?

bob haller January 28th 16 01:11 PM

Capping a Toilet Flange

On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 7:06:48 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

theres a fernco like device for such applications. you put it in the pipe and tighten a bolt, which expands the rubber

Tekkie® January 28th 16 07:38 PM

Capping a Toilet Flange

posted for all of us...

[...]

I can see, once again, you really did your research. DAGS In your own words
to yourself "I imagine I ain't too bright cause I get the same answer every
time"

--
Tekkie