DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Q: The wattage for electric blankets? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/389550-q-wattage-electric-blankets.html)

[email protected] January 23rd 16 02:39 AM

Q: The wattage for electric blankets?

Do you think that an electric blanket that has 100 Watts on each side is warmer than an electric blanket that is 180 Watts altogether?

[email protected] January 23rd 16 03:39 AM

Q: The wattage for electric blankets?

i just figured out that since it has two controls that this means the left half and the right half is only 100 watts each and this probably doesn't mean that it's 100 watts on each side.

Ed Pawlowski January 23rd 16 03:41 AM

On 1/22/2016 9:39 PM, wrote:
Do you think that an electric blanket that has 100 Watts on each side is warmer than an electric blanket that is 180 Watts altogether?

In theory the double has more watts, thus more heat. Effectiveness
depends on where the actual coverage is.

Ed Pawlowski January 23rd 16 04:01 AM

On 1/22/2016 10:39 PM, wrote:
i just figured out that since it has two controls that this means the left half and the right half is only 100 watts each and this probably doesn't mean that it's 100 watts on each side.

Left half 100
Right half 100
That means 200 total 100 on each side.

mike[_22_] January 23rd 16 05:21 AM

On 1/22/2016 6:39 PM, wrote:
Do you think that an electric blanket that has 100 Watts on each side is warmer than an electric blanket that is 180 Watts altogether?

Of course, the temperature matters, but in my experience, a 70W blanket
on high
will cook you.
If it doesn't, put a blanket on top of it.
If you turn down the dial, the total watts on high isn't very relevant
unless you want to preheat in an instant.

micky January 23rd 16 05:50 AM

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 21:21:49 -0800, mike wrote:

On 1/22/2016 6:39 PM, wrote:
Do you think that an electric blanket that has 100 Watts on each side is warmer than an electric blanket that is 180 Watts altogether?

Of course, the temperature matters, but in my experience, a 70W blanket
on high
will cook you.

Darn right. I don't know the wattage of my blanket, but the control
goes from 1 to 10 and if I put it on anything higher than 1, I'm too
hot. That's in a bedroom that's 66 or 65, iirc, but even if it were
colder, I don't think I could go over 2.