DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Preventing Early Wood Shake Wear (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/388938-preventing-early-wood-shake-wear.html)

Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney January 7th 16 05:04 PM

Preventing Early Wood Shake Wear

I made my annual roof crawl last weekend and replaced 100 or so cedar shakes.

I noticed that as these shakes age, the surface exposed to direct rain wears pretty evenly, while the point on a lower shake where water falls from an upper shake wears a lot faster. Also, once the drip point starts to wear, the rest of the shake begins to deteriorate faster.

I'm thinking about taking some clear coat and going along, spraying a 1-inch strip on that drip area to help slow down the erosion at that point.

Anyone ever run across something like this?

Paul Drahn January 9th 16 03:31 AM

On 1/7/2016 9:04 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I made my annual roof crawl last weekend and replaced 100 or so cedar shakes.

I noticed that as these shakes age, the surface exposed to direct rain wears pretty evenly, while the point on a lower shake where water falls from an upper shake wears a lot faster. Also, once the drip point starts to wear, the rest of the shake begins to deteriorate faster.

I'm thinking about taking some clear coat and going along, spraying a 1-inch strip on that drip area to help slow down the erosion at that point.

Anyone ever run across something like this?

Make up your mind! Do you have a shake roof or a shingle roof?

Paul

Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney January 10th 16 02:49 AM

"Paul Drahn" wrote in message ...
On 1/7/2016 9:04 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I made my annual roof crawl last weekend and replaced 100 or so cedar shakes.

I noticed that as these shakes age, the surface exposed to direct rain wears pretty evenly, while the point on a lower shake where water falls from an upper shake wears a lot faster. Also, once the drip point starts to wear, the rest of the shake begins to deteriorate faster.

I'm thinking about taking some clear coat and going along, spraying a 1-inch strip on that drip area to help slow down the erosion at that point.

Anyone ever run across something like this?

Make up your mind! Do you have a shake roof or a shingle roof?

Paul

Shake roof. Although lately I've had to use shingles for patching due to shakes being hard to find.

Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney January 13th 16 09:39 PM

"Paul Drahn" wrote in message ...
On 1/7/2016 9:04 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I made my annual roof crawl last weekend and replaced 100 or so cedar shakes.

I noticed that as these shakes age, the surface exposed to direct rain wears pretty evenly, while the point on a lower shake where water falls from an upper shake wears a lot faster. Also, once the drip point starts to wear, the rest of the shake begins to deteriorate faster.

I'm thinking about taking some clear coat and going along, spraying a 1-inch strip on that drip area to help slow down the erosion at that point.

Anyone ever run across something like this?

Make up your mind! Do you have a shake roof or a shingle roof?

Paul

Did you have any constructive comments to add about this?