Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to move a deck type porch?

Normally I can figure out a plan to do jobs, but this one has had me
drawing a blank for days.

This porch was built next to my house, but they never put walls on the
crawl space (of the house itself), behind that porch.

The crawl space on the rest of the house is made from 2x6s nailed to the
posts which support the house. The 2x6s run horizontal, and are covered
with metal siding (pole barn metal), which goes 6 to 8 inches into the
soil. Apparently they built this porch before they put the siding on the
house crawl space, so that portion of the house is wide open.

Ok, it's not "Wide open", because they built this porch from treated
framing, put deck boards on top, but also put these deck boards on the
sides, down to the soil. However, they left an opening to get under this
porch, which I temporarily covered with plywood, using a few screws so I
could remove it easily.

While this partly closes things up, there are the gaps between the deck
boards, Plus they did not put backs on the steps, so if I look between
the steps, I can see right under the house. Besides letting cold aur
under the house in winter, it lets critters get under the house, and
whatever rain and snow that can get down there.

The plan is to move the porch about 3 feet away from the house, put the
metal siding against the crawl space wall, and move the porch back where
it was.

This should be fairly easy, because the porch is free standing and not
attached to the house at all. The porch just sits on some solid concrete
blocks, an it's only 7x11 feet. (steps included). But that small porch
is built so well, that it must weigh close to a ton. Last weekend I had
a friend over and we were going to lift it. We could not even lift it a
quarter inch.

Normally, I'd get my tractor over there and easily move it, but because
of the lay of the land, a retaining wall, a fence and other stuff in the
way, that is not possible at all. I cant even get the tractor on the
other side of that fence and use a chain, because there is no way to get
any machinery over there. There are no trees or solid objects to
connect a come-a-long to either.

So, it all comes down to muscle power, or some sort of jacking method.
But jacking it up means another problem. Since the sidewalls go to the
ground, there is no way to get a jack under the sides. The only place to
jack it, is under it from that opening and that would mean the jack
would only be in the center of the deck. Plus the deck floor is close to
4ft off the ground and my floor jack dont go that high. Of course I
could pile wood blocks on top of the jack, but I dont want to be under
there if the blocks tip over, which is very likely with that many
blocks.

So, I'm at a total loss how to go about this.....

Yes, I did have one thought, and that was to see if I could find someone
with a pulling horse. (Around here there are guys that have them). A
horse could get in there, by going thru the woods, whereas a tractor
cant. The horse could probably move that porch easily AWAY from the
house, but the horse cant PUSH it back when I finish my work.
So, that would not work.

Then there was the thought of finding about 6 guys to lift the thing.
I'm sure 6 guys could, but because those side walls go to the ground,
there is not enough space for that many guys to grab it.
Another NO....

So, I'm back to square one ????????

Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 03:20:47 -0600, wrote:

[...]

Engine hoist? Could you build a temporary tripod over a corner
then use a rope fence stretcher or come along to lift each corner
individually?
Then put a furniture moving dolly under each corner and roll it that three
feet.
You'd probably have to put some boards under the dollies so they'd move.
Would round fence posts work better as rollers to move it once it's
lifted?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 4:23:41 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

You could use a pulling horse to pull it away from the house and
then use a pulley system so the horse could pull it back. The horse
would always have his arse to the porch, but the pulley would reverse
the direction of the force.

As far as "6 guys", what about cutting/attaching 3 hand holds on
each side? All 6 guys would be standing sideways, like pall bearers.
Wouldn't that give them enough room?

What about digging out the ground where you wanted to move the porch
and using steel pipes/lolly (lally?) columns as rollers?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Why move the porch at all? It seems like it would be easier to just climb
under the porch and add your metal siding underneath the porch. You might
have to add some support framework, dig down the 6" to bury the metal in
the ground, and possibly cut the metal to size. That still seems like a lot
less work than trying to move a porch and then get it back in place.

Alternatively, run the metal siding around the outside of the porch. Remove
the steps if necessary then reinstall/rebuild them when you're done.

Also, if your deck boards are wood, I would think about removing those that
run down the sides to the soil. Wood in contact with earth is a bad idea.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 4:23:41 AM UTC-5, wrote:
The porch just sits on some solid concrete
blocks, an it's only 7x11 feet.

Take it apart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 06:22:27 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

So, I'm back to square one ????????

Any ideas?

You could use a pulling horse to pull it away from the house and
then use a pulley system so the horse could pull it back. The horse
would always have his arse to the porch, but the pulley would reverse
the direction of the force.

This is an excellent suggestion. However, in this case, I dont see any
way to attach the pulleys, without removing the crawl space siding I
just put on, to use the house's posts for the pulleys.

As far as "6 guys", what about cutting/attaching 3 hand holds on
each side? All 6 guys would be standing sideways, like pall bearers.
Wouldn't that give them enough room?

I've thought about this, but I'd also have to remove the steps or no one
could grab that side of the porch. But this is starting to look like one
of the better ways to do this....

What about digging out the ground where you wanted to move the porch
and using steel pipes/lolly (lally?) columns as rollers?

Possibly. I do need to consider the soil at the front of the porch is
probably 8" higher than at the rear (the whole yard slopes), so I wonder
if it would roll or just slide backwards on the pipes????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 14:59:16 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

Why move the porch at all? It seems like it would be easier to just climb
under the porch and add your metal siding underneath the porch. You might
have to add some support framework, dig down the 6" to bury the metal in
the ground, and possibly cut the metal to size. That still seems like a lot
less work than trying to move a porch and then get it back in place.

I was looking at this today and I'm starting to think that this is the
solution. It would be tough working under there, but a lot less trouble
than moving the porch. All digging would have to be done with a hand
spade, rather than a shovel, but I can live with that. But there is a
problem. The porch sits about 6" lower than the house floor. I would not
be able to nail my framework under the floor joists, nor screw on the
metal siding. But, if I can raise the porch about 6 to 8", I could
nail/screw everything from under the porch.

This is probably the solution. I'm thinking of just stacking some blocks
under the porch, using a bottle jack on top of the blocks, raising one
corner of the porch at a time, and just putting a cement block under
each corner. Once the whole thing sits on top of those blocks, I could
do all the work from underneath. Once my siding is on, I would have to
jack and remove those blocks again. Lifting it seems a lot less trouble
than moving it!

Alternatively, run the metal siding around the outside of the porch. Remove
the steps if necessary then reinstall/rebuild them when you're done.

I'm looking into how hard it would be to remove the steps. That would
make everything easier (and a little lighter).

Also, if your deck boards are wood, I would think about removing those that
run down the sides to the soil. Wood in contact with earth is a bad idea.

They are treated lumber boards, and because the whole porch sits on
cement blocks, there is a small gap between the wood and the soil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

[...]

Hire day worker roofers. They know their mettle...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Why move the porch at all? It seems like it would be easier to just
climb under the porch and add your metal siding underneath the porch.

I was looking at this today and I'm starting to think that this is the
solution. It would be tough working under there, but a lot less
trouble than moving the porch. All digging would have to be done with
a hand spade, rather than a shovel, but I can live with that. But
there is a problem. The porch sits about 6" lower than the house
floor. I would not be able to nail my framework under the floor
joists, nor screw on the metal siding.

I haven't seen the situation, so I'm just guessing what the conditions are.
But didn't you say the deck was free standing and not attached to the
house? Is there a gap between the house and deck?

Climb under and take some measurements of the opening. Then preassemble a
frame (or smaller frames) out of pressure treated lumber. Slide the frame
(s) under the house and screw it to the bottom side of the house joists.
You could either attach your siding to the frame before you slide it under
the house, or attach the siding after you have the framework in place.

If you really need to attach the siding behind the deck, just drill a few
holes in the deck rim joist (or end joist depending on the joist
orientation). Then you can access the house through the holes to drive in
your screws. If it's too difficult to do from underneath, maybe you could
remove a deck board or two to gain access.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 05:24:12 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

[...]

You have some good ideas there. I have pretty much decided to do it from
under the porch, rather than try to move it. But preassembling it, makes
a lot of sense. Maybe I can make panels with lumber and the metal
siding, and attach them from under the house. There are access doors to
get under the house.

Yes, the porch is free standing and there is a gap about 3/4" between
the house and the porch, because the porch just sits on the ground, so
it moves with freeze and thaw cycles (which is why I would not attach it
to the house). I actually did jack it up on the rear side of it, a few
years ago, because the rear was about an inch and a half lower than the
front. I stacked cement blocks under it and lifted the rear about 2".
Then I put a treated 2x8 across the cement blocks it sits on, and
lowered the jack. Now that it's settled, it seems to stay pretty level.
Yet it may get a little higher during the winter, but goes back to
normal when the soil thaws in spring. That's not a problem, since the
porch is about 6" lower than the house door. (My steps are about 6" or
7", so this is just another step).

Just a side note: Many years ago, I rented a house, where there was a
porch which was the same height as the front door. During the winter,
the porch lifted from frozen ground, and I could not get out that door,
because the porch got about an inch higher than the door. (Of course
there was another door in the rear). I complined to the landlord, and he
said he would fix it in Spring. But when he tried, the thing was so
rotted it fell apart. So, he build a new one which was several inches
below the door (like it should be), and it was much nicer too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You have some good ideas there. I have pretty much decided to do it
from under the porch, rather than try to move it.

Good luck, I hope it goes well!

Maybe I can make panels with lumber and the metal siding, and attach
them from under the house.

The more you can do out in the open, the less work you'll have on laying
under the house.

There are access doors to get under the house.

I was going to ask you if there was another way under the house. It might
be easier coming at it from that direction than trying to squeeze under the
deck (I don't know if you mentioned how much clearance you had under the
deck).

Yes, the porch is free standing and there is a gap about 3/4" between
the house and the porch

Does the metal crawlspace siding tuck under the house siding somehow? In
other words, what keeps water from going behind the metal siding where it
connects to the house?

because the porch just sits on the ground, so it moves with freeze
and thaw cycles (which is why I would not attach it to the house).

We don't have to worry much about frost heave here in the Pacific
Northwest. Our frostline is technically 12 inches, but it's extremely rare
to have freezing weather long enough to freeze the ground.

Still, I've always built decks and stairs freestanding, mostly to prevent
rot between the deck/stair structure and the house.

Let us know how your project turns out!

Take care,

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 15:00:02 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

You have some good ideas there. I have pretty much decided to do it
from under the porch, rather than try to move it.

Good luck, I hope it goes well!

Maybe I can make panels with lumber and the metal siding, and attach
them from under the house.

The more you can do out in the open, the less work you'll have on laying
under the house.

There are access doors to get under the house.

I was going to ask you if there was another way under the house. It might
be easier coming at it from that direction than trying to squeeze under the
deck (I don't know if you mentioned how much clearance you had under the
deck).

About 3 1/2ft from ground to bottom of deck.

Yes, the porch is free standing and there is a gap about 3/4" between
the house and the porch

Does the metal crawlspace siding tuck under the house siding somehow? In
other words, what keeps water from going behind the metal siding where it
connects to the house?

The metal overlaps the house siding, but I have a special moulding which
is made for trailer houses, which locks everything in place and seals
it. I also applied some silicone to make sure it stays dry. I used this
method because there was no way to go under the siding without doing a
lot of of siding removal which would have likely damaged it. If I ever
re-side the house, I can then go over the crawl space siding.

This is still the one problem I have. I can not install that moulding
with the porch in place. But I'm looking into using some trim made for
barns, which will seal the metal as well as capping the gap between the
house and porch. However, if the porch lifts from freezing, that could
be a problem. But maybe there is another material I can use. If a small
amount of water gets behind the crawl space siding, it's not a big deal.
It will just soak in the ground, and I'll use treated lumber back there
to prevent rot.

because the porch just sits on the ground, so it moves with freeze
and thaw cycles (which is why I would not attach it to the house).

We don't have to worry much about frost heave here in the Pacific
Northwest. Our frostline is technically 12 inches, but it's extremely rare
to have freezing weather long enough to freeze the ground.

I wish I did not have to deal with freezing!!!!
A few years ago, we had a very severe winter, and a yard hydrant froze
about 5 ft below the ground. I never had that happen before.

Still, I've always built decks and stairs freestanding, mostly to prevent
rot between the deck/stair structure and the house.

Same reason I have the gap, but also for freezing and thawing.

Let us know how your project turns out!

It looks like I wont be doing anything for awhile. We're having extreme
rain and all sorts of crappy weather. If it freezes after this rain, I
wont be able to do any of this till Spring. In the meantime, I just
crammed some scrap steel sheets behind the porch and jammed some wood
scraps between the steel and the porch to hold it in place. Behind it, I
drove a few short pieces of scrap rebar into the soil to keep the steel
from pushing inward. I knew this storm was coming, so I just did this
temporary for now.

Take care,

Thanks

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

About 3 1/2ft from ground to bottom of deck.

That's more room than I have in my crawlspace. I was picturing you having
to slither in on your belly. Sounds like plenty of room to work.

The metal overlaps the house siding, but I have a special moulding
which is made for trailer houses, which locks everything in place and
seals it. I also applied some silicone to make sure it stays dry. I
used this method because there was no way to go under the siding
without doing a lot of of siding removal which would have likely
damaged it. If I ever re-side the house, I can then go over the crawl
space siding.

I still can't picture what your conditions are.

You obviously don't have a continuous perimeter foundation. So, I assume
the floor joists extend to the edge of the house, then the house siding
comes down to the bottom of the joists. Is that correct?

Is there a reason you couldn't preassemble a wood frame and screw it to the
underside of the floor joists (essentially "hanging" it from the joists).
Set it back just far enough that the metal siding would be positioned
behind the house siding.

If the house siding does not extend below the floor joists, maybe you could
slip a thin piece of metal flashing between the back of the house siding
and the front of the metal crawlspace siding. This should prevent water
from wicking around the bottom edge of the house siding.

Take care,

Thanks

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 16:16:47 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

About 3 1/2ft from ground to bottom of deck.

That's more room than I have in my crawlspace. I was picturing you having
to slither in on your belly. Sounds like plenty of room to work.

Not too bad to get in there....

The metal overlaps the house siding, but I have a special moulding
which is made for trailer houses, which locks everything in place and
seals it. I also applied some silicone to make sure it stays dry. I
used this method because there was no way to go under the siding
without doing a lot of of siding removal which would have likely
damaged it. If I ever re-side the house, I can then go over the crawl
space siding.

I still can't picture what your conditions are.

You obviously don't have a continuous perimeter foundation. So, I assume
the floor joists extend to the edge of the house, then the house siding
comes down to the bottom of the joists. Is that correct?

Basically. The house sits on posts and is built into a hill, so the
lower part is 7 ft. off the ground, where the upper part is about 2 ft.

Horizontal 2x6's are nailed to the posts and that siding is applied to
them. It's almost like a pole barn under there.

Is there a reason you couldn't preassemble a wood frame and screw it to the
underside of the floor joists (essentially "hanging" it from the joists).
Set it back just far enough that the metal siding would be positioned
behind the house siding.

Yea, that would work, but then these panels would not line up with the
others. I could probably put the siding on the INSIDE of these 2x6's
too, and would just have to seal the gap, but I'd prefer it to match the
rest of the house, even if it's not really seen under there.