DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Mower Doesn't Catch Grass (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/386150-re-mower-doesnt-catch-grass.html)

[email protected] October 17th 15 09:54 PM

Mower Doesn't Catch Grass

netcop wrote:

"I think you're mulching whether you have a true mulching mower or
when you use the side discharge chute. The main difference is how
finely chopped the grass gets.

I've been doing my lawn with side discharge for years.
I have no thatch build up. "

You must be cutting it fairly close/short, if longer clippings are left on the lawn, thatch does build up.

Dan Espen[_2_] October 17th 15 10:08 PM

Mower Doesn't Catch Grass

writes:

netcop wrote:

"I think you're mulching whether you have a true mulching mower or
when you use the side discharge chute. The main difference is how
finely chopped the grass gets.

I've been doing my lawn with side discharge for years.
I have no thatch build up. "

You must be cutting it fairly close/short, if longer clippings are
left on the lawn, thatch does build up.

I cut off about a half inch at a time. (Every week.)

I notice I have a lot of earthworms.
I think they appreciate the fresh food.
I don't know if they eat the clippings, but they probably eat something
the clippings break down into.

I'm pretty sure climate plays a role.
This is central NJ.

--
Dan Espen

[email protected] October 17th 15 10:39 PM

Mower Doesn't Catch Grass

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 13:54:42 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

netcop wrote:

"I think you're mulching whether you have a true mulching mower or
when you use the side discharge chute. The main difference is how
finely chopped the grass gets.

I've been doing my lawn with side discharge for years.
I have no thatch build up. "

You must be cutting it fairly close/short, if longer clippings are left on the lawn, thatch does build up.

The secret is to keep the grass about 2 1/2 inches tall, never
letting it get mich over 3, so you are never removing more than 1/4 to
1/3 of the blade at any one time.

Percival P. Cassidy October 17th 15 10:58 PM

Mower Doesn't Catch Grass

On 10/17/2015 05:39 PM, wrote:

"I think you're mulching whether you have a true mulching mower or
when you use the side discharge chute. The main difference is how
finely chopped the grass gets.

I've been doing my lawn with side discharge for years.
I have no thatch build up. "

You must be cutting it fairly close/short, if longer clippings are left on the lawn, thatch does build up.

The secret is to keep the grass about 2 1/2 inches tall, never
letting it get mich over 3, so you are never removing more than 1/4 to
1/3 of the blade at any one time.

There are differing opinions on that -- or different climates dictate
different approaches?

No more than one-third at a time, yes.

But how long is where opinions differ: we get emails from the people who
have rolled and aerated our lawns from time to time, and they say that
most domestic lawnmowers can't be set high enough. I have our ride-on
mower set to *its* highest -- 4 inches -- and if I mow every week I'm
still not cutting off more than one-third. I use mulching blades.

We're in Michigan.

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/resources/mowing-lawn-turf

Perce

Bob F October 18th 15 11:58 PM

Mower Doesn't Catch Grass

wrote:

netcop wrote:

"I think you're mulching whether you have a true mulching mower or
when you use the side discharge chute. The main difference is how
finely chopped the grass gets.

I've been doing my lawn with side discharge for years.
I have no thatch build up. "

You must be cutting it fairly close/short, if longer clippings are
left on the lawn, thatch does build up.

The secret is to keep the grass about 2 1/2 inches tall, never
letting it get mich over 3, so you are never removing more than 1/4 to
1/3 of the blade at any one time.

Nonsense! The point is not to cut off too much. I set my mower as high or higher
than it goes and it works fine.

I think the point of mulching is to chop the grass up until it is small enough
to filter through the remaining grass leaves until it doesn't get sucked up
again, so it doesn't show when you're done.

[email protected] October 19th 15 12:15 AM

Mower Doesn't Catch Grass

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 15:58:58 -0700, "Bob F"

netcop wrote:

"I think you're mulching whether you have a true mulching mower or
when you use the side discharge chute. The main difference is how
finely chopped the grass gets.

I've been doing my lawn with side discharge for years.
I have no thatch build up. "

You must be cutting it fairly close/short, if longer clippings are
left on the lawn, thatch does build up.

The secret is to keep the grass about 2 1/2 inches tall, never
letting it get mich over 3, so you are never removing more than 1/4 to
1/3 of the blade at any one time.

Nonsense! The point is not to cut off too much.

Isn't that what I said??

I set my mower as high or higher
than it goes and it works fine.

I think the point of mulching is to chop the grass up until it is small enough
to filter through the remaining grass leaves until it doesn't get sucked up
again, so it doesn't show when you're done.

You are correct.

Bob F October 20th 15 05:17 AM

Mower Doesn't Catch Grass

wrote:

netcop wrote:

"I think you're mulching whether you have a true mulching mower or
when you use the side discharge chute. The main difference is how
finely chopped the grass gets.

I've been doing my lawn with side discharge for years.
I have no thatch build up. "

You must be cutting it fairly close/short, if longer clippings are
left on the lawn, thatch does build up.
The secret is to keep the grass about 2 1/2 inches tall, never
letting it get mich over 3, so you are never removing more than 1/4
to 1/3 of the blade at any one time.

Nonsense! The point is not to cut off too much.

Isn't that what I said??

What I am saying is that limiting the grass to some arbitrary # of inches is
unnecessary, if you prefer it longer.