Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recessed lighting trim question.

Hi,
My living room has 6 recessed lights, whose trims are held in place by two coil springs (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-Trim...S7H/202024767).

I want to install LED lights with flush trim like this (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercia...H27/204726945), but it appears incompatible as there's nothing for the V springs of this light to grab hold of inside the can.

I don't want to rip these cans out, as there's nothing really wrong with them. Does anyone know what type/model/name of LED flush fixture I should look for?

Thanks
Theodore

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 10:49:31 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi,
My living room has 6 recessed lights, whose trims are held in place by two coil springs (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-Trim...S7H/202024767).

I want to install LED lights with flush trim like this (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercia...H27/204726945), but it appears incompatible as there's nothing for the V springs of this light to grab hold of inside the can.

I don't want to rip these cans out, as there's nothing really wrong with them. Does anyone know what type/model/name of LED flush fixture I should look for?

Thanks
Theodore

I ran into the same problem. A local supermarket was selling those
LED conversion kits for $10 and it was hard to pass up. In my case,
once the old socket was removed from the old fixture, the new trim
would fit right inside the old trim and the part you can on the ceiling
was exactly the same size, so it completely covered the old. Only problem
was those four spring legs had nothing to grab on to. So, I just removed
the old trim, slid the new one into it and used some caulk in a few spots
to secure it. Once it was dry, I just put it back in place and connected
the LED to the old socket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
[...]

At my cabin kitchen, I could lower the socket down after loosening
adjusting screw. Whole socket assembly slid down so LED could disperse
light evenly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My living room has 6 recessed lights, whose trims are held in place by two coil springs (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-Trim...S7H/202024767).

I want to install LED lights with flush trim like this (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercia...H27/204726945), but it appears incompatible as there's nothing for the V springs of this light to grab hold of inside the can.

I don't want to rip these cans out, as there's nothing really wrong with them. Does anyone know what type/model/name of LED flush fixture I should look for?

Your existing recessed lights should have the slots in there for the V springs. They look like two small hooks opposite one another sticking out from the side of the can. Sometimes they are pushed inward to accommodate the trim. I have found them cut off on rare occasion. Post a a photo of the inside of the can.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all replies so far. Here's photos.
All advice greatly appreciated.

Photo of existing trim:
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psyltoqucn.jpg

Photo of existing recessed light without trim:
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psjkjq6lzy.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psqfuelsvu.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pscfgaxacv.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psqryhsb7w.jpg

Photo of what I _want_ to install (which doesn't appear to grab hold of anything inside the recessed fixture):
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psofmuph3q.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

I want to install LED lights with flush trim like this (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercia...m-with-90-CRI-

I don't want to rip these cans out, as there's nothing really wrong with them. Does anyone know what type/model/name of LED flush fixture I should look for?

Thanks
Theodore

These work in any can because the springy clips grab the sides

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-6-in...C100/205337184
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 9:22:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Thanks for all replies so far. Here's photos.
All advice greatly appreciated.

Photo of existing trim:
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psyltoqucn.jpg

Photo of existing recessed light without trim:
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psjkjq6lzy.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psqfuelsvu.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pscfgaxacv.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psqryhsb7w.jpg

Photo of what I _want_ to install (which doesn't appear to grab hold of anything inside the recessed fixture):
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psofmuph3q.jpg

Will the new trim fit inside the old trim? If so, see my glue them
together solution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all replies so far. Here's photos.
All advice greatly appreciated.

Photo of existing trim:
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psyltoqucn.jpg

Photo of existing recessed light without trim:
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psjkjq6lzy.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psqfuelsvu.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...pscfgaxacv.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psqryhsb7w.jpg

Photo of what I _want_ to install (which doesn't appear to grab hold of anything inside the recessed fixture):
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...psofmuph3q.jpg

That can does not have the required hooks for the V spring. You will need to find an LED replacement that will work for your cans.
Posted to alt.home.repair

That can does not have the required hooks for the V spring. You will need to find an LED replacement that will work for your cans.

Yep, I tend to agree. Thanks.