Posted to alt.home.repair

Default spa pH??

We put in a small spa last month and I'm wondering why the pH tends to
drop over time. I'm guessing that all the air that is pumped through
the water when the air jets are on somehow causes the water to
become acidic (via the CO2 present in the air). Is that a reasonable
guess?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2015 12:51 PM, CRNG wrote:
We put in a small spa last month and I'm wondering why the pH tends to
drop over time. I'm guessing that all the air that is pumped through
the water when the air jets are on somehow causes the water to
become acidic (via the CO2 present in the air). Is that a reasonable
guess?

Do you know the normal ph of the water you add to the spa, or the ph of
the chemicals that you add to the water?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Sep 2015 12:51:21 -0500, CRNG
wrote:

We put in a small spa last month and I'm wondering why the pH tends to
drop over time. I'm guessing that all the air that is pumped through
the water when the air jets are on somehow causes the water to
become acidic (via the CO2 present in the air). Is that a reasonable
guess?

Keeping a small spa chemically balanced can be a task. (What do you
use for a sanitizer? Chlorine or Bromine)

Some tips he

http://www.spa-daddy.com/ph_total_alkalinity.php

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Chlorine-W18.aspx

http://www.spadepot.com/spacyclopedia/spafaqwc.htm

http://www.frogspawater.com/p/spa-care-systems.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We put in a small spa last month and I'm wondering why the pH tends to
drop over time. I'm guessing that all the air that is pumped through
the water when the air jets are on somehow causes the water to
become acidic (via the CO2 present in the air). Is that a reasonable
guess?

The short answer is the stabilizer in your sanitizer is acidic, along
with rain water. If it is a plastic tub, the pH will drift lower. I
exchange mine with the concrete pool and that stabilizes it, actually
jacking the number up a little over time so I have to put a splash of
acid in the pool. You will be using soda. A little dab will do you.
Start around a quarter tsp and check it tomorrow. It is better to
sneak up on the right number than to overshoot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 06 Sep 2015 12:51:21 -0500, CRNG
wrote:

We put in a small spa last month and I'm wondering why the pH tends to
drop over time. I'm guessing that all the air that is pumped through
the water when the air jets are on somehow causes the water to
become acidic (via the CO2 present in the air). Is that a reasonable
guess?

But shouldn't the hydrogen hydroxide make it turn basic?

--

Stumpy Strumpet
the bimbus

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We put in a small spa last month and I'm wondering why the pH tends to
drop over time. I'm guessing that all the air that is pumped through
the water when the air jets are on somehow causes the water to
become acidic (via the CO2 present in the air). Is that a reasonable
guess?

The short answer is the stabilizer in your sanitizer is acidic, along
with rain water. If it is a plastic tub, the pH will drift lower. I
exchange mine with the concrete pool and that stabilizes it, actually
jacking the number up a little over time so I have to put a splash of
acid in the pool. You will be using soda. A little dab will do you.
Start around a quarter tsp and check it tomorrow. It is better to
sneak up on the right number than to overshoot.

I have a covered one and it's PH tends to gradually drift up
over time too. Like you say, not really much of a problem, I
just add a dash of sodium carbonate if it needs it. I would
guess it's caused by the oxidizer too, most of them have
some effect on PH. With pools for example, if you use bleach,
it raises the PH.
Posted to alt.home.repair

CRNG presented the following explanation :
We put in a small spa last month and I'm wondering why the pH tends to
drop over time. I'm guessing that all the air that is pumped through
the water when the air jets are on somehow causes the water to
become acidic (via the CO2 present in the air). Is that a reasonable
guess?

Hire a pool man to take care of your spa. That way all you have to do
is heat the water, turn on the water jets, get in and relax. That IS
why you installed a spa, yes?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2015 12:51 PM, CRNG wrote:
We put in a small spa last month and I'm wondering why the pH tends to
drop over time. I'm guessing that all the air that is pumped through
the water when the air jets are on somehow causes the water to
become acidic (via the CO2 present in the air). Is that a reasonable
guess?

Thanks to all for the comments.