DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Weed cloth under rubber mulch for swing set? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/383993-weed-cloth-under-rubber-mulch-swing-set.html)

[email protected] August 17th 15 08:47 PM

Weed cloth under rubber mulch for swing set?

I've cleared out about a 3" depth under and around a wood play set with a couple of swings and a slide. The play set is surrounded by on 2 sides by a cement patio and on the other sides by pavers. Going to put green rubber mulch under and around the play set up to the cement and pavers.

I've had people question whether I should use weed block cloth under the mulch. My thought is no because I'm afraid the cloth would get kicked up and I've have a major PITA pulling it all up. Others say it wall keep the mulch clean since it won't be touching dirt.

Any ideas?

Oren[_2_] August 17th 15 09:40 PM

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 12:47:37 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I've had people question whether I should use weed block cloth under the mulch. My thought is no because I'm afraid the cloth would get kicked up and I've have a major PITA pulling it all up. Others say it wall keep the mulch clean since it won't be touching dirt.

Any ideas?

I use cloth, much of my weed barrier was black plastic around the pool
and back yard. Covered with 3/4" rocks. When the dog poops he digs
it up -- "scratching off" (animal behavior). Cut off what gets
exposed with a utility knife.

What do you do in El Cajon, CA?

songbird August 17th 15 10:13 PM

wrote:
I've cleared out about a 3" depth under and around a wood play set with a couple of swings and a slide. The play set is surrounded by on 2 sides by a cement patio and on the other sides by pavers. Going to put green rubber mulch under and around the play set up to the cement and pavers.

I've had people question whether I should use weed block cloth under the mulch. My thought is no because I'm afraid the cloth would get kicked up and I've have a major PITA pulling it all up. Others say it wall keep the mulch clean since it won't be touching dirt.

Any ideas?

as it is a play area i would put the weed barrier fabric
around the edges where there is light traffic, but would
not put it around places where the kids may cause gouges
as then the weed barrier fabric gets exposed and then gets
degraded by exposure to the sun.

yes, you will get dirt mixing in, but that's just what
kids do...

the other alternative would be to put the rubber mulch
down very thick in the high traffic areas so that the kids
don't get through it to the fabric.

personally, i'd think that stuff will stink, look ugly
and be very hot. if i were a kid i'd be finding someplace
else to play...

songbird

Muggles August 17th 15 10:54 PM

On 8/17/2015 2:47 PM, wrote:
I've cleared out about a 3" depth under and around a wood play set with a couple of swings and a slide. The play set is surrounded by on 2 sides by a cement patio and on the other sides by pavers. Going to put green rubber mulch under and around the play set up to the cement and pavers.

I've had people question whether I should use weed block cloth under the mulch. My thought is no because I'm afraid the cloth would get kicked up and I've have a major PITA pulling it all up. Others say it wall keep the mulch clean since it won't be touching dirt.

Any ideas?

For something like that I'd buy some indoor/outdoor carpet that you can
get in 6'x8' roles at Lowe's or Home depot and put that under the mulch
and pin it to the ground with 6 inch U garden staples overlapping the
edges. Once you get that put down then put your mulch on top of it.
The kids won't be able to kick the carpet liner around even if the mulch
gets kicked around, and the mulch won't get dirty, either. The weeds
won't see the light of day which equals no work on all fronts. It works
great!

--
Maggie

micky August 18th 15 03:33 AM

Weed cloth under rubber mulch for swing set?

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 17 Aug 2015 12:47:37 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I've cleared out about a 3" depth under and around a wood play set with a couple of swings and a slide. The play set is surrounded by on 2 sides by a cement patio and on the other sides by pavers. Going to put green rubber mulch under and around the play set up to the cement and pavers.

I've had people question whether I should use weed block cloth under the mulch. My thought is no because I'm afraid the cloth would get kicked up and I've have a major PITA pulling it all up. Others say it wall keep the mulch clean since it won't be touching dirt.

Any ideas?

Yeah, how far away is the cement and the pavers, for when a kid goes
face down, skull down, or even butt down. Even the dirt can hurt him
but cement?