Old February 15th 20, 03:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roundup: Should It Kill Poison Ivy?

On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 9:46:05 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 2/14/2020 9:57 PM, wrote:

Roundup is still just a defoliant more than a systemic herbicide. That
is why you can spray it on your dormant zoysia grass in the winter.

"Glyphosate is a broad-spectrum systemic herbicide and crop desiccant
which acts by inhibiting the plant enzyme
5-enolpyruvylshikimate-3-phosphate synthase. ... Once absorbed,
glyphosate moves quickly through the plant and accumulates in areas of
active growth called meristems. ..."

The only reason it doesn't kill zoysia dead is that it's dormant at the
time.

Similar issues with application at times is hot and dry and stuff isn't
actively growing.

Like most other herbicides, against well-established wood brush it will
undoubtedly take multiple applications or combinations to kill all the
roots so it won't re-establish.

--

You can probably also spray it on cool season grass in the cold of winter
and it won't kill the grass too, for the same reason, the chemical is not

Old February 15th 20, 04:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2020 9:59 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...
"Glyphosate is a broad-spectrum systemic herbicide and crop desiccant
which acts by inhibiting the plant enzyme
5-enolpyruvylshikimate-3-phosphate synthase. ... Once absorbed,
glyphosate moves quickly through the plant and accumulates in areas of
active growth called meristems. ..."

The only reason it doesn't kill zoysia dead is that it's dormant at the
time.

Similar issues with application at times is hot and dry and stuff isn't
actively growing.

Like most other herbicides, against well-established wood brush it will
undoubtedly take multiple applications or combinations to kill all the
roots so it won't re-establish.

I have not used Roundup for a while, but have used other brands that
have the same Glyphosate in them. They cost less for the same
concentration and have other chemicals in them. Mainly something to
help make it stick to the leaves. That is the only place on the plants
that the glyphosate is absorbed. Poision ivy is slick and most sprays
will just slide off. It usually gets rid of the poison ivy without any
trouble if sprayed on during the growing cycle.

Don't know why it should not work and I have killed poison ivy with all
purpose broad leaf killers. I cleared up all the English ivy around my
house a couple of years ago with glyphosate a couple of years ago. It
did take a couple of applications.
Old February 15th 20, 05:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

You can probably also spray it on cool season grass in the cold of winter
and it won't kill the grass too, for the same reason, the chemical is not
readily absorbed and transported. I know when I decided to kill my lawn
and reseed, I got delayed and didn't apply the Roundup until Oct. Even
though the temps were still moderate, I wasn't counting on how long it
would take for it to kill it and for it go brown. I guess I probably could
have just proceeded to reseed and the old grass wouldhave died, but I
wasn't sure it would kill it. Instead of a week, it took maybe two and
a half weeks for it to go brown.

I am sure that you have to spray the plants during some cycle of their
growth depending on the chemical used.

Many people just buy something and put it out with out reading the
directions and complain that it does not work. Like the preemergence
weed and feed. It does no good after the seeds have sprouted and
started growing. The feed part really feeds the weeds..

For some reason in the area I am in (central NC) many yards have been
taken over by what many are calling chick weed. This has been a warm
winter and lots of rain. I don't think we have had a full week where it
has been below freezing which is unusual. Last week we were almost 70
deg F in the daytime. Seems like there has not been a full week with out
rain.

Old February 15th 20, 06:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 9:59:54 AM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...
[...]

Same here. I have a 2.5 gal jug of 45% Razor, lasts many years.
I suppose the price of all that will be going up with the ambulance
chasing lawyers rounding up people to sue. So far they've just gone
after Monsanto, the big fish. Funny thing, in all the years of using
it around here, I rarely get any on me at all, let alone winding up
drenched in it like the janitor claims happened to him.

Old February 15th 20, 09:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 13:06:35 -0500, Ralph Mowery

says...

Same here. I have a 2.5 gal jug of 45% Razor, lasts many years.
I suppose the price of all that will be going up with the ambulance
chasing lawyers rounding up people to sue. So far they've just gone
after Monsanto, the big fish. Funny thing, in all the years of using
it around here, I rarely get any on me at all, let alone winding up
drenched in it like the janitor claims happened to him.

Yea, the ambulance chasers ruin most everything that works.

Wife likes the Chanel # 5 powder. Seems they quit makiing that due to
the baby powder law suits. Can not get the cloridiene that wipes out
termites and most everything else.

Try Bifen. That is my new go to insecticide. You can get the
concentrate online. Just be careful, it is nasty stuff. (nitrile
gloves, respirator etc). It is the only thing that seems to push back
Florida ants and the palmetto bugs are history.
Old February 15th 20, 10:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 08:57:50 -0500, Hawk wrote:

On 2/15/2020 2:32 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 23:27:49 -0500, Hawk wrote:

On 2/14/2020 4:17 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 11:50:42 -0800 (PST),

wrote:

Both are good brush killer and effect for your front yard. if you are interested to know more about the different check out the he
https://www.bestroachkiller.com/orth...er-vs-roundup/

Weeds like poison ivy laugh at roundup. It may knock the leaves off
but it will be back. You are far better off with a Triclopyr based
product, preferably mixed with a "sticker".
Diesel works great. You don't need a lot. A little spritz will kill
weeds like PI dead. It is what we use on Brazilian peppers, air potato
and Ear leaf Acacia.

Diesel? Fuel?

Yup. It was the original recommended surfactant for Garlon 4. This is
not something you are squirting out of an airplane. You just need to
get some leaves with a few drops each and the plant will go belly up
in a week or two and never come back. I typically treat an acre and a
half with a 16 oz Zep bottle and have plenty left.

Good to know. I've been using industrial Roundup which works well but
they always return awhile later. I end up just pulling the roots. I'll
do the diesel this summer.

Thanks

Just a few teaspoons full to a gallon of mix is all that is required.

Some have found sunlight dishwashing retergent works as well

Roundup [email protected] UK diy 62 July 19th 13 12:05 PM
Roundup or What? Lawrence[_3_] UK diy 54 October 27th 10 07:58 AM
How to kill poison ivy Dick Adams[_2_] Home Repair 34 August 10th 07 05:11 AM
KILL ALL THE WHITE PEOPLE KILL EM ALL [email protected] Woodworking 1 July 10th 07 03:03 AM
Roundup Deemed Dangerous/ Poison Ivy Revisited Bertie Brink Home Repair 48 July 31st 06 07:05 PM