Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21   Report Post  
Old July 29th 15, 03:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,649
Default Roundup: Should It Kill Poison Ivy?

On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 8:21:29 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 9:06:41 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
O



roundup mixed 50 / 50 with poision ivy killer, it will be dying by the next morning, its amazingly effective


I haven't tried that mix, but, do you really want it dying by next morning? If it's really toxic it kills the leaves before it gets into the system.. I want it absorbed by the leaves, and spread to kill the whole plant, and usually that takes a bit more time.


trust me 50/50 roundup/ poision ivy killer really works when nothing else did

I even called a lanscaper who said the killing stuff consumers can buy doesnt work. but the pros can use this.

he wanted to kill everything on that hillside, which would of been ok, except my mom planted some of it a couple years before she died, so i like keeping those around...


  #22   Report Post  
Old July 29th 15, 03:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,649
Default Roundup: Should It Kill Poison Ivy?

On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 9:02:48 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 8:21:29 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 9:06:41 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
O



roundup mixed 50 / 50 with poision ivy killer, it will be dying by the next morning, its amazingly effective


I haven't tried that mix, but, do you really want it dying by next morning? If it's really toxic it kills the leaves before it gets into the system. I want it absorbed by the leaves, and spread to kill the whole plant, and usually that takes a bit more time.


trust me 50/50 roundup/ poision ivy killer really works when nothing else did

I even called a lanscaper who said the killing stuff consumers can buy doesnt work. but the pros can use this.

he wanted to kill everything on that hillside, which would of been ok, except my mom planted some of it a couple years before she died, so i like keeping those around...


the leaves were rolling up the next morning and within a few days the plants were totally dead.

i left the remains because i react a lot to poision ivy, and need steroids which make me very ill.

no poision ivy grew back, although i did notice one plant i missed, i murdered it too

just try it IT WORKS!
  #23   Report Post  
Old July 29th 15, 03:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.misc,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.sheds
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2015
Posts: 55
Default Roundup: Should It Kill Poison Ivy?

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
...

It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with
Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.

I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.

OTOH, 3 days on crab grass and the stuff is clearly dead or on the way.

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

If so, what timeframe?
--
Pete Cresswell


Oh for Pete's Sake!
LOL

  #24   Report Post  
Old July 29th 15, 07:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.misc,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.sheds
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2010
Posts: 382
Default Roundup: Should It Kill Poison Ivy?

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 06:28:10 -0700, "Edmund J. Burke"
wrote:

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
.. .

It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with
Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.

I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.

OTOH, 3 days on crab grass and the stuff is clearly dead or on the way.

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

If so, what timeframe?


I've found that glyphosate does kill ivy, but it takes longer and
often needs a few applications. I suspect this is partly due to the
waxy leaves, so maybe a bit of a seeing to with a strimmer first might
help.

I bought a 5 litre container of clinic ace 360 g/l which lasts for
ages at the correct dilution. Much cheaper than roundup and just as
effective.
  #25   Report Post  
Old July 29th 15, 07:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.misc,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.sheds
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2015
Posts: 55
Default Roundup: Should It Kill Poison Ivy?

"Caecilius" wrote in message
...
I've found that glyphosate does kill ivy, but it takes longer and
often needs a few applications. I suspect this is partly due to the
waxy leaves, so maybe a bit of a seeing to with a strimmer first might
help.

I bought a 5 litre container of clinic ace 360 g/l which lasts for
ages at the correct dilution. Much cheaper than roundup and just as
effective.

You can't use that in the America's, you fusking asshole!



  #26   Report Post  
Old July 30th 15, 03:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2013
Posts: 193
Default Roundup: Should It Kill Poison Ivy?

bob haller wrote:

mix 50 / 50 round up with poision ivy killer. that works fast and is 100% effective.


Same here. I use 50 / 50 glyophosphate with brush killer (usually 2,4D). Mix
both to the highest concentration listed on the label. It still takes a week
before the leaves start to curl and up to a month befor they go brown.
  #27   Report Post  
Old July 30th 15, 03:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.messianic,uk.legal,uk.misc,uk.rec.driving
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2015
Posts: 55
Default Roundup: Should It Kill Poison Ivy?

"Old Codger" wrote in message ...

On 29/07/2015 18:46, Edmund J. Burke wrote:
"Caecilius" wrote in message
...
I've found that glyphosate does kill ivy, but it takes longer and
often needs a few applications. I suspect this is partly due to the
waxy leaves, so maybe a bit of a seeing to with a strimmer first might
help.

I bought a 5 litre container of clinic ace 360 g/l which lasts for
ages at the correct dilution. Much cheaper than roundup and just as
effective.

You can't use that in the America's, you fusking asshole!


So why ask the question in a UK newsgroup?

Go fusk yerself, arsehole limey!

I outrank yer silly, buck-toothed arse.
  #28   Report Post  
Old July 30th 15, 04:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,233
Default Roundup: Should It Kill Poison Ivy?

On 7/30/15 9:01 AM, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
bob haller wrote:

mix 50 / 50 round up with poision ivy killer. that works fast and is 100% effective.


Same here. I use 50 / 50 glyophosphate with brush killer (usually 2,4D). Mix
both to the highest concentration listed on the label. It still takes a week
before the leaves start to curl and up to a month befor they go brown.

The Enlist system mixes 2,4-D and glyphosate. That's for fields where
weeds could be resistant to either because both had been used extensively.

For poison ivy, I don't see the advantage of mixing. If after a week, I
don't see results, I assume it didn't absorb enough. I spray again.

That didn't seem to work with some Spectracide 2,4-D stuff I got for
buckhorn plantain. Seeing no results after a week, I'd spray again.
There seemed to be fewer after I sprayed, but I didn't know why I never
saw any shriveling or dead plants.

After a couple of years, I quit spraying and began cutting roots with a
sort of forked bayonet. I had to bend over thousands of times, but it's
fun when you get used to it, and it worked.

I haven't seen poison ivy resist repeated spraying.
  #29   Report Post  
Old July 30th 15, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,alt.home.repair,uk.rec.cycling
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2015
Posts: 283
Default Roundup: Should It Kill Poison Ivy?

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 06:50:59 -0700, "Colon Edmud Jackass Burchese of
Ladyboise, Idaho" wrote:

"Old Codger" wrote in message ...

On 29/07/2015 18:46, Edmund J. Burke wrote:
"Caecilius" wrote in message
...
I've found that glyphosate does kill ivy, but it takes longer and
often needs a few applications. I suspect this is partly due to the
waxy leaves, so maybe a bit of a seeing to with a strimmer first might
help.

I bought a 5 litre container of clinic ace 360 g/l which lasts for
ages at the correct dilution. Much cheaper than roundup and just as
effective.

You can't use that in the America's, you fusking asshole!


So why ask the question in a UK newsgroup?

Go fusk yerself, arsehole limey!

I outrank yer silly, buck-toothed arse.


If you had a dick, you'd outwank EVERYONE, Coloon! LOLOK
  #30   Report Post  
Old February 14th 20, 08:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2020
Posts: 1
Default Roundup: Should It Kill Poison Ivy?

Both are good brush killer and effect for your front yard. if you are interested to know more about the different check out the he https://www.bestroachkiller.com/orth...er-vs-roundup/


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roundup [email protected] UK diy 62 July 19th 13 12:05 PM
Roundup or What? Lawrence[_3_] UK diy 54 October 27th 10 07:58 AM
How to kill poison ivy Dick Adams[_2_] Home Repair 34 August 10th 07 05:11 AM
KILL ALL THE WHITE PEOPLE KILL EM ALL [email protected] Woodworking 1 July 10th 07 03:03 AM
Roundup Deemed Dangerous/ Poison Ivy Revisited Bertie Brink Home Repair 48 July 31st 06 07:05 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017