Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plywood with Stitching?

Hi,

We're remodeling and the old flooring (lino and carpeting) has been taken
up to install hardwood. I noticed many of the 4'x 8' x 3/16" underlayment
plywood has lines of stitching. Yes, stitching, which goes through to both
sides, and is made of nylon or cotton multi-strand thread.

What is this? I've never seen it before.

TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 6:12:47 PM UTC-4, Boris wrote:
Hi,

We're remodeling and the old flooring (lino and carpeting) has been taken
up to install hardwood. I noticed many of the 4'x 8' x 3/16" underlayment
plywood has lines of stitching. Yes, stitching, which goes through to both
sides, and is made of nylon or cotton multi-strand thread.

What is this? I've never seen it before.

TIA

Very common in boatbuilding to stitch plywood then epoxy over, but I've not seen it on a floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 16:44:40 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 6:12:47 PM UTC-4, Boris wrote:
Hi,

We're remodeling and the old flooring (lino and carpeting) has been taken
up to install hardwood. I noticed many of the 4'x 8' x 3/16" underlayment
plywood has lines of stitching. Yes, stitching, which goes through to both
sides, and is made of nylon or cotton multi-strand thread.

What is this? I've never seen it before.

TIA

Very common in boatbuilding to stitch plywood then epoxy over, but I've not seen it on a floor.

I've never seen plywood underlayment stitched, but "fingerjointed
hardwood "or "fingerjointed parquet" is often stitched with nylon
cord.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 18:40:32 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 17:43:23 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 12:23:31 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 00:54:03 -0400, micky
wrote:

wrote:

On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 6:12:47 PM UTC-4, Boris wrote:
Hi,

We're remodeling and the old flooring (lino and carpeting) has been taken
up to install hardwood. I noticed many of the 4'x 8' x 3/16" underlayment
plywood has lines of stitching. Yes, stitching, which goes through to both
sides, and is made of nylon or cotton multi-strand thread.

What is this? I've never seen it before.

TIA

Very common in boatbuilding to stitch plywood then epoxy over, but I've not seen it on a floor.

What's the purpose of this? Doesn't the glue hold it together.

I've never seen plywood underlayment stitched, but "fingerjointed
hardwood "or "fingerjointed parquet" is often stitched with nylon
cord.

Same question?

Does "self jigging" ring any bells???

No but I looked it up. Was the stitching put in before the glue set?

In the fingerjoint flooring and in boat building - most definitely.
In boat building, the whole boat gets stitched together before any
gluing/resin application .
The stitching holds everything in position for gluing AND it
re-enforces the glue joint.

Very interesting. It's a good thing I learned this before I built my
boat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I found this thread by looking for the answer to the question and I still don't have it. I'm in Barrow, Alaska doing some fire restoration on a building and found that the ceiling of the building was sheeted with 1/2" plywood that has nylon stitching, prior to the sheet rock going up. Very curious.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to dsdarryl, Jeremy wrote:
Same here for me only the plywood with stitches in it is located underneath
a bathtub we removed in a house we are remodeling... very curious. Did you
ever wind up figuring this out?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-838253-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Boris, Kyle collier wrote:
Like this, not a boat
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/li
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/lj

Stitching round the edge of bits of carpets to make mats Murmansk UK diy 9 June 30th 13 01:13 PM
Stitching scanned sections of large format diagrams msg Electronics Repair 11 May 28th 09 02:30 PM
Crack stitching Andy Dingley UK diy 28 February 22nd 09 10:26 AM
Recommendation for reasonably priced, high quality 10" blade for cutting birch plywood and oak-veneer plywood blueman Woodworking 9 October 31st 06 09:45 PM
woodcastle with plywood and film-faced plywood jack lin Woodworking 0 December 30th 05 06:23 AM