DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Brown stains in toilet (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/382951-brown-stains-toilet.html)

[email protected] June 7th 15 04:48 PM

Brown stains in toilet

These stains, especially if they are brown/rust looking and are streaking down from the toilet bowl rim are caused by hard water, ie calcium and mineral deposits. I thoroughly cleaned them off with CLR, took a lot of sdraping with a plastic scraper. Then what i did was to put 3 Overnight Polident denture cleaner IN THE TANK, and leave it in overnight, when the toilet won't be flushed for several hours. If you see the stains reappear, put in 3 tablets for 3 to 4 nights in a row.

Oren[_2_] June 7th 15 11:34 PM

Brown stains in toilet

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 08:48:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

No question noted.

These stains, especially if they are brown/rust looking and are streaking down from the toilet bowl rim are caused by hard water, ie calcium and mineral deposits.

Yes.

I thoroughly cleaned them off with CLR, took a lot of sdraping with a plastic scraper.

To bad you used that much effort.

Then what i did was to put 3 Overnight Polident denture cleaner IN THE TANK, and leave it in overnight, when the toilet won't be flushed for several hours.

Spending money unnecessarily.

If you see the stains reappear, put in 3 tablets for 3 to 4 nights in a row.

More money spent chasing the wrong fix.
--
"Dodgeball in Burkas" -- Greg Gutfeld

Paul Marks June 8th 15 12:08 AM

Brown stains in toilet

On 6/7/2015 11:48 AM, wrote:
These stains, especially if they are brown/rust looking and are streaking down from the toilet bowl rim are caused by hard water, ie calcium and mineral deposits. I thoroughly cleaned them off with CLR, took a lot of sdraping with a plastic scraper. Then what i did was to put 3 Overnight Polident denture cleaner IN THE TANK, and leave it in overnight, when the toilet won't be flushed for several hours. If you see the stains reappear, put in 3 tablets for 3 to 4 nights in a row.

I turned off the water to the toilet, flushed and plunger-ed the
remaining water out of the bowl, then spread Lysol toilet cleaner on the
bowl surface undiluted, (the thick, syrupy blue stuff that contains
acid), walked away for and hour, came back, turned the water back on,
flushed, and the water stains were gone. Also worked for the shower base.

Oren[_2_] June 8th 15 12:33 AM

Brown stains in toilet

On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 19:08:16 -0400, Paul Marks
wrote:

On 6/7/2015 11:48 AM, wrote:
These stains, especially if they are brown/rust looking and are streaking down from the toilet bowl rim are caused by hard water, ie calcium and mineral deposits. I thoroughly cleaned them off with CLR, took a lot of sdraping with a plastic scraper. Then what i did was to put 3 Overnight Polident denture cleaner IN THE TANK, and leave it in overnight, when the toilet won't be flushed for several hours. If you see the stains reappear, put in 3 tablets for 3 to 4 nights in a row.

I turned off the water to the toilet, flushed and plunger-ed the
remaining water out of the bowl, then spread Lysol toilet cleaner on the
bowl surface undiluted, (the thick, syrupy blue stuff that contains
acid), walked away for and hour, came back, turned the water back on,
flushed, and the water stains were gone. Also worked for the shower base.

Ordinarily true. The "cooties" are coming from the bowl rim, past the
rim jets. Hence the streaking. Until the bowl rim is cleaned to kill
/eliminate calcium and minerals....they come back more often than
usual.
--
"Dodgeball in Burkas" -- Greg Gutfeld

[email protected] June 8th 15 03:35 AM

Brown stains in toilet

You need to get the blue goop into the discharge from the tank to the toilet and then into the rim. Shut the water off, flush the toilet, holding the handle down until the water runs out of the tank down to the level of the flapper valve, and then pour the blue goop into the hole to the toilet itself. If it is too thick to flow, use a little water to thin it out until it will flow into the toilet and spread around the inside of the rim. You might be able to use a flexible wire to spread it around the rim from the hole in the tank. Let it sit for several hours and then flush a few times to get all the loosened crud out.

[email protected] June 8th 15 05:36 AM

Brown stains in toilet

On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 6:08:21 PM UTC-5, Paul Marks wrote:
On 6/7/2015 11:48 AM, blondeyip wrote:
These stains, especially if they are brown/rust looking and are streaking down from the toilet bowl rim are caused by hard water, ie calcium and mineral deposits. I thoroughly cleaned them off with CLR, took a lot of sdraping with a plastic scraper. Then what i did was to put 3 Overnight Polident denture cleaner IN THE TANK, and leave it in overnight, when the toilet won't be flushed for several hours. If you see the stains reappear, put in 3 tablets for 3 to 4 nights in a row.

I turned off the water to the toilet, flushed and plunger-ed the
remaining water out of the bowl, then spread Lysol toilet cleaner on the
bowl surface undiluted, (the thick, syrupy blue stuff that contains
acid), walked away for and hour, came back, turned the water back on,
flushed, and the water stains were gone. Also worked for the shower base.

I'm not sure what is in the blue goop but most bowl cleaners are either phosphoric acid or hydrochloric acid. Phosphoric acid is safer to use and should be your first defense against mineral deposits. If the deposits are heavy, switch to hydrochloric acid. Note that hydrochloric acid will turn chrome black. You can also use a pumice stone as long as it is kept wet while in use to prevent scratching the porcelain. Streaks coming down from the rim are often caused by water continuously leaking past the flapper or the overflow tube--in which case new parts are needed.

itsjoannotjoann June 8th 15 05:48 AM

Brown stains in toilet

On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 9:35:46 PM UTC-5, wrote:

You need to get the blue goop into the discharge from the tank to the toilet and then into the rim.

What is the blue goop? Lysol toilet bowl cleaner?

Col. Edmund Burke[_5_] June 8th 15 06:55 PM

Brown stains in toilet, Miss Recktum!

I get those on the bottom of the ****ter right after I dump a fusky load.
Just sayin', we call em ****SPLATS.

[email protected] June 10th 15 08:43 PM

Everyone having Endless Fun with our ANAL and MENTALLY RETARDEDSexual Cripple, aka "The Rectum" on these Groups! LOL

Bleach, used cautiously can get rid of many stains

marc