Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Making replacement Aluminum Frame Window Screens

Posted June 3, 2015

I have aluminum storm windows on my house. The windows are fine, but the
screens are lousy. The aluminum screen frames were made of aluminum that
was apparently too flimsy. So, what happens is that all the frames are
bowed on at the centers, from the tightness of the screen itself. That
leaves gaps between the screen frame and the window itself, which means
I am constantly getting flys and other insects in the house. The bigger
the window, the worst the screen is bowed.

Temporarily I have put duct tape over these gaps, but I'd like to
replace the screens entirely, especially the large ones.

My question is this: Do they sell aluminum "channel stock" and the
corner parts to make alum screen window frames? I know what is involved
in making them, which is not that difficult. Basically cut the pieces at
a 45deg angle, and hammer in the joiners. The screen itself is applied
with a rubber round bead.

But where would I find this channel stock (and corner pieces) to make
new screens? As long as the thickness is correct for my windows, any
style will work. The screen itself as well as the rubber bead is
available at any hardware store.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You don't need new frames , you need braces at the center of the long sides
.. Look at the BB stores - Blowes , Homey DePot , etc . They'll also sell you
the stuff to make new frames .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 14:33:33 -0500, wrote:

[...]

The windows screen deparatment at Ace Hardware. In the one I go to it's
back with the guy who does things, but they sell the parts too.

I have 4 channels for two sections, so each section has two panes
(regular and storm window) and one section has a screen. So that's 5
items for 4 channels in the aluminum frame. Three of the things slide
fine but the outermost window and the screen share a channel, and the
only way to get the screen out is to bend it. No, lifting it up and
pushing the bottom out doesn't work.

So now that it's bent there's no point in fixing it, because I'll have
to bend it to get it in again. (I avoided taking it out for 32 years,
but last fall I decided to take the ivy off it it, and ended up pulling
it out of the window. That ivy is tough. )

As long as the thickness is correct for my windows, any
style will work. The screen itself as well as the rubber bead is
available at any hardware store.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the screens are rectangular in shape, what about just adding a cross-brace?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

As others have said, big box stores and hardware stores often sell
frames and corners, but I have found them to be flimsy and poor
quality. I've had the same problem as you with the sides bowing and
didn't want to add cross bars because they look like hell and none of
my other screens have or need them.

I recently bought materials for two replacement screens from:

http://www.qualitywindowscreen.com/

I was able to buy heavy gauge frame material in the larger size
needed to fit my anderson frames. Made them up last week and they
came out very nice. More expensive than the big box crap frames, but
worth it.

Paul F.