Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Swamp cooler noise

My swamp (evaporative) cooler makes noises after it
has been run a week or so every year. A buzzing
noise. I can quiet it by pressing firmly on the front
inside grill/panel towards the bottom. I tried adding
soft washers under the four corner screws fastening
this grill last year but it didn't help. I'm not sure
whether the grill is causing the noise because it has
a mounting problem or, more likely, the blower is
vibrating and causing it to buzz. Just yesterday I
tried lubing the blower bearings again (after
prepping it for the summer a month or two ago) but no
help. I can't see anything obvious causing the
problem. The belt looks ok. This cooler is only a few
years old - third season I think, maybe fourth.

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to chase this
down?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2 Jun 2015 17:42:17 GMT, KenK wrote:

My swamp (evaporative) cooler makes noises after it
has been run a week or so every year. A buzzing
noise. I can quiet it by pressing firmly on the front
inside grill/panel towards the bottom. I tried adding
soft washers under the four corner screws fastening
this grill last year but it didn't help. I'm not sure
whether the grill is causing the noise because it has
a mounting problem or, more likely, the blower is
vibrating and causing it to buzz. Just yesterday I
tried lubing the blower bearings again (after
prepping it for the summer a month or two ago) but no
help. I can't see anything obvious causing the
problem. The belt looks ok. This cooler is only a few
years old - third season I think, maybe fourth.

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to chase this
down?

TIA

I'd check _every_ fastener on the entire unit; ensuring they are
tight. "Buzzing" makes me think of the motor as opposed to 'vibrating
of the metal covering the blower. Also check the tension on the belt.
Don't over tighten it. The belt needs a little wiggle so not to wear
the pulley bearing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:lvrrma15uushkangu1a3cvavurv6eui50k@
4ax.com:

[...]

Well, I gathered my stethoscope, screwdrivers, nutdrivers and step stool
and turned it on. You'll never guess, in a million years, what happened
next!

Tada!

Cooler ran very quietly. Let it run a half an hour. Still no buzz. Tried
a few of your suggestions anyhow.

Motor mounts very tight. With stethoscope motor just hums.

Also check the tension on the belt.

Normal - a bit of slack.

Don't over tighten it. The belt needs a little wiggle so not to wear
the pulley bearing.

Put stethoscope everywhere I could think of. No unexpected noise.

I'll try again tomorrow. Hope its as cool - high 90s - then. I'm sure it
will go back to buzzing later today.

Did find poor water flow to the pads - a couple of lines were just
dripping. Will switch to a new pump tomorrow too.

sigh I'm sure other people never have such problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 12:42:22 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
My swamp (evaporative) cooler makes noises after it
has been run a week or so every year. A buzzing
noise. I can quiet it by pressing firmly on the front
inside grill/panel towards the bottom. I tried adding
soft washers under the four corner screws fastening
this grill last year but it didn't help. I'm not sure
whether the grill is causing the noise because it has
a mounting problem or, more likely, the blower is
vibrating and causing it to buzz. Just yesterday I
tried lubing the blower bearings again (after
prepping it for the summer a month or two ago) but no
help. I can't see anything obvious causing the
problem. The belt looks ok. This cooler is only a few
years old - third season I think, maybe fourth.

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to chase this
down?

TIA

Relay or solenoid comes to mind...
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob_villa wrote in news:439c73c6-734c-44ea-a4b2-
:

[...]

Thanks.

If there are either in the cooler I don't know where. Perhaps one to feed
the motor. But motor on/off switch seems simpler.

I looked at the parts list and didn't see anything but I could have
missed it under some other name.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/02/2015 12:42 PM, KenK wrote:
My swamp (evaporative) cooler makes noises after it
has been run a week or so every year. A buzzing
noise. I can quiet it by pressing firmly on the front
inside grill/panel towards the bottom. I tried adding
soft washers under the four corner screws fastening
this grill last year but it didn't help. I'm not sure
whether the grill is causing the noise because it has
a mounting problem or, more likely, the blower is
vibrating and causing it to buzz. Just yesterday I
tried lubing the blower bearings again (after
prepping it for the summer a month or two ago) but no
help. I can't see anything obvious causing the
problem. The belt looks ok. This cooler is only a few
years old - third season I think, maybe fourth.

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to chase this
down?

That if can be stopped by force against a mechanical piece indicates it
is vibration...as you say, likely it's transmitted from the motor/fan to
the case. The PC case here is bad about that for the side cover...

I see you got out the tools in another thread but it wasn't doing
anything at the time; wait until it starts up again and then begin
adding a damping pressure at the various points of likely candidates--it
could even be the actual sheet bottom at a resonance or some such.
It'll be seek and destroy to find the actual culprit; the stethoscope to
listen/localize is a good technique for the purpose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Jun 2015 17:28:44 GMT, KenK wrote:

[...]

chuckle It's only you, Ken.

Didn't you change the motor last year, iirc?

No offense intended, but are you overly sensitive to the sound?

Maybe changing the pump _may_ help. I can't say. Good water flow over
the pads will help keep the unit cool; perhaps dampening sounds.
--
.... if I had the perfect woman, I'd want twins -- Blackberry Smoke

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2015 3:30 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
KenK wrote:
Did find poor water flow to the pads - a couple of lines were just
dripping. Will switch to a new pump tomorrow too.

sigh I'm sure other people never have such problems.

Bad motor can buzz.

Remember, buzzed motor is drunk motor.

Friends don't let friends motors buzz.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Jun 2015 13:30:53 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

KenK wrote:
[...]

That is my thoughts. They may often fail, exposed to moisture, with
hard water mineral deposits. They fail earlier than normal. I think.

A 'buzz" and "vibrations" sound different to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Bad motor can buzz.

That is my thoughts. They may often fail, exposed to moisture, with
hard water mineral deposits. They fail earlier than normal. I think.

A 'buzz" and "vibrations" sound different to me.

I'll admit, I don't know a lot about swampers.
With central AC, there is often a contactor
which can buzz even when the outdoor unit is
shut off at the disconnect.

Might need to call a priest, have it prayed over.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 8:01:56 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Might need to call a priest, have it prayed over.

....couldn't hurt you either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in
:

KenK wrote:
[...]

I put the stethoscope on it and it sounds ok. But no buzz yeterday. ???
All I did was change the water pump. Probably coincidence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

[...]

Not that I recall. I consulted my checkbook and I bought it 4/26/2011 -
so I was wrong, it's 5 years old, not 3 or 4. Time flies when you're
having fun - or senile. I changed the motor a wew months after I bought
it - I was really ****ed at Home Depot for requiring me to bring it in
to replace the motor. What cheapskates! Much to big and heavy to haul
around and uninstall and reinstall for a $50 motor. And they knew it!
Bought a new motor from Lowes and had a handyman install it. No more
major purchases from Home Depot.

No offense intended, but are you overly sensitive to the sound?

No. It's in the kitchen where I'm only in an hour or so a day. I can't
hear it in the other rooms. I just worry that it's trying to tell me
something but I don't understand what.

Maybe changing the pump _may_ help. I can't say. Good water flow over
the pads will help keep the unit cool; perhaps dampening sounds.

Well, I changed the pump. Much cooler cooler output. And, strangely, no
buzz since. Most likely coincidence. It had been intermittent before
that yesterday. I'll be interested to see if it buzzes this afternoon.
Normally I'd not use it because it's only in the low 90s today but I'll
at least test it an hour or so. I'll keep you posted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Jun 2015 16:19:47 GMT, KenK wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote in
:

KenK wrote:
[...]

Interesting. I wonder if the pump impeller wore out; causing the
noise on the water pan. If you have the old pump, can you hook it a
water source and check it with the stethoscope?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

KenK wrote:
[...]

Ran a couple of inches of water into a wastebasket and set the pump in
it. Just a hum with the scope. But no water. Evidently it has failed
completely. Remember, before I changed it because of weak water output,
the buzzing had stopped. Now I'm beginning to get more curious.

Turned on the cooler. The buzz is back. So the pump change really was
just a coincidence - evidently.

I think you are right - just ignore it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Jun 2015 17:57:20 GMT, KenK wrote:

Ran a couple of inches of water into a wastebasket and set the pump in
it. Just a hum with the scope. But no water. Evidently it has failed
completely. Remember, before I changed it because of weak water output,
the buzzing had stopped. Now I'm beginning to get more curious.

Turned on the cooler. The buzz is back. So the pump change really was
just a coincidence - evidently.

I think you are right - just ignore it.

I'm of the option that if you hit yourself in the head with a hammer,
the noise won't bother you - LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/02/2015 01:42 PM, KenK wrote:
My swamp (evaporative) cooler makes noises after it
has been run a week or so every year. A buzzing
noise. I can quiet it by pressing firmly on the front
inside grill/panel towards the bottom. I tried adding
soft washers under the four corner screws fastening
this grill last year but it didn't help. I'm not sure
whether the grill is causing the noise because it has
a mounting problem or, more likely, the blower is
vibrating and causing it to buzz. Just yesterday I
tried lubing the blower bearings again (after
prepping it for the summer a month or two ago) but no
help. I can't see anything obvious causing the
problem. The belt looks ok. This cooler is only a few
years old - third season I think, maybe fourth.

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to chase this
down?

Prolly got no Freon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 16:28:44 -0400, Meryl
wrote:

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to chase this
down?

Prolly got no Freon.

live?! What does "Prolly got no" even mean.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:vus3nal347np6brhban4ulljotl8b6i893@
4ax.com:

On 5 Jun 2015 17:57:20 GMT, KenK wrote:

Ran a couple of inches of water into a wastebasket and set the pump in
it. Just a hum with the scope. But no water. Evidently it has failed
completely. Remember, before I changed it because of weak water output,
the buzzing had stopped. Now I'm beginning to get more curious.

Turned on the cooler. The buzz is back. So the pump change really was
just a coincidence - evidently.

I think you are right - just ignore it.

I'm of the option that if you hit yourself in the head with a hammer,
the noise won't bother you - LOL!

A sledge or a plain old ball peen?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6 Jun 2015 13:36:15 GMT, KenK wrote:

I think you are right - just ignore it.

I'm of the option that if you hit yourself in the head with a hammer,
the noise won't bother you - LOL!

A sledge or a plain old ball peen?

Depends on the severity of one's affliction. Do you still have a
bothersome noise?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to chase this
down?

Prolly got no Freon.

live?! What does "Prolly got no" even mean.

Technically she's correct, it's highly unlikely to have Freon in a swamp cooler.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to chase this
down?

Prolly got no Freon.

live?! What does "Prolly got no" even mean.

Technically she's correct, it's highly unlikely to have Freon in a swamp cooler.

Well, freon in a swamp cooler is NOT a fact. And what does "Prolly got
no Freon" even mean?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:lbo6naldatl5a3rpii0rh0srbh2s7eh9fn@
4ax.com:

On 6 Jun 2015 13:36:15 GMT, KenK wrote:

I think you are right - just ignore it.

I'm of the option that if you hit yourself in the head with a hammer,
the noise won't bother you - LOL!

A sledge or a plain old ball peen?

Depends on the severity of one's affliction. Do you still have a
bothersome noise?

Ran it for 8 or 9 hours yesterday. Quiet as a lamb. Or a clam. Or
something not very noisy.

I getting suspicious about that water pump I removed again, though it did
buzz once with the new pump. Nothing makes sense anymore. sigh Why me?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

On 8 Jun 2015 17:54:33 GMT, KenK wrote:

Oren wrote in
news:lbo6naldatl5a3rpii0rh0srbh2s7eh9fn@ 4ax.com:

On 6 Jun 2015 13:36:15 GMT, KenK wrote:

I think you are right - just ignore it.

I'm of the option that if you hit yourself in the head with a
hammer, the noise won't bother you - LOL!

A sledge or a plain old ball peen?

Depends on the severity of one's affliction. Do you still have a
bothersome noise?

Ran it for 8 or 9 hours yesterday. Quiet as a lamb. Or a clam. Or
something not very noisy.

I getting suspicious about that water pump I removed again, though it
did buzz once with the new pump. Nothing makes sense anymore. sigh
Why me?

Why you? Heck if I know; unless it is a swamp cooler conspiracy
against elderly people

Is there loose calcium in the pan, being drawn into the pump?

No, just cleaned it all out when I prepped it a few months ago. Now
discovered I am getting poor water delivery to pads - half the lines are
just dripping. I must have skipped that prep step. Meant to get up about
5AM and work on it while it's cool but was raining this morning. Supposed
to be clear tomorrow. I suspect the hose from pump to water divider (I
call it a spider). It's very old and may be coming apart inside.

If it
cools - go chase you some gals.

They run too fast. And when one slows down for me I forget why I was
chasing her. Been too long.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Jun 2015 17:53:03 GMT, KenK wrote:

Now discovered I am getting poor water delivery to pads - half the lines are
just dripping.

Sounds like a calcium / mineral blockage in the tube tips.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

On 9 Jun 2015 17:53:03 GMT, KenK wrote:

Now discovered I am getting poor water delivery to pads - half the
lines are just dripping.

Sounds like a calcium / mineral blockage in the tube tips.

Maybe. I need to get liquid water to replace this very hard well water.

Attacked it about 5:30 AM. Couldn't get the water line from the pump to
the hub that feeds the 6 lines to the pads loose at the hub. Will require
removing hub - not enough time. I'll have to do it this winter. However,
now all lines to pads but one were working fine, and it had a steady
stream. Cleared it out and it worked a bit better. Two days ago only
three lines were working. The pump/hub line may have had a partial
blockage cleared when I was trying to remove it?

Someone ought to invent a cooler that doesn't use water and pads. Maybe
something with Freon?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 Jun 2015 16:30:38 GMT, KenK wrote:

Oren wrote in
:

On 9 Jun 2015 17:53:03 GMT, KenK wrote:

Now discovered I am getting poor water delivery to pads - half the
lines are just dripping.

Sounds like a calcium / mineral blockage in the tube tips.

Maybe. I need to get liquid water to replace this very hard well water.

Attacked it about 5:30 AM. Couldn't get the water line from the pump to
the hub that feeds the 6 lines to the pads loose at the hub. Will require
removing hub - not enough time. I'll have to do it this winter. However,
now all lines to pads but one were working fine, and it had a steady
stream. Cleared it out and it worked a bit better. Two days ago only
three lines were working. The pump/hub line may have had a partial
blockage cleared when I was trying to remove it?

Does the pan keep a "good" level of water, adjusted at the float
valve? Maybe put a quart of white cleaning vinegar in and circulate
it for a day or two. Then another quart in a few days. To break down
and minerals in the tubes.

http://www.heinzvinegar.com/products-cleaning-vinegar.aspx

Someone ought to invent a cooler that doesn't use water and pads. Maybe
something with Freon?

Make a solar powered air conditioner - using ice in a homer bucket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxSLbpAwibg

(the guy lives here in the desert
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
news
On 10 Jun 2015 16:30:38 GMT, KenK wrote:

Oren wrote in
m:

[...]

Yep. It's holding the level properly.

Maybe put a quart of white cleaning vinegar in and circulate
it for a day or two. Then another quart in a few days. To break down
and minerals in the tubes.

http://www.heinzvinegar.com/products-cleaning-vinegar.aspx

I have a white block of material for coolers in the water that is
supposed to keep the water soft as it disolves. I'd be afraid vinegar
would make the house small of vinegar for a long time. What do you think?

Someone ought to invent a cooler that doesn't use water and pads.
Maybe something with Freon?

Make a solar powered air conditioner - using ice in a homer bucket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxSLbpAwibg

(the guy lives here in the desert

Sorry, my system is too slow for videos.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Jun 2015 16:22:57 GMT, KenK wrote:

I have a white block of material for coolers in the water that is
supposed to keep the water soft as it disolves. I'd be afraid vinegar
would make the house small of vinegar for a long time. What do you think?

I thought of the vinegar causing a smell. That's partly why I
suggestied a small amount at a time over a period of days. I'd
imagine for the most part, it would be evaporated on the pads. Just my
thoughts

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Make sure motor solenoid is not touching blower cage.