Posted to alt.home.repair
t t is offline

Default woodworm beetles

Just for the record. I believe these beetles often are already inside of
wood that is used in home construction. They are just waiting to grow up
and come out. They don't eat as adults, but the earlier stages bury into
and consume wood, often moist wood. They leave holes in the wood when
they tunnel out of it as adults. When they are active you can often find
sawdust like material near the holes; "chaff" or something its called. I
have some windows that I could hear noises emanating from certain months,
and I noticed birds and bees attracted to the windows. The first person I
had look into this didn't find anything---I was worried about termites
mostly. I finally figured it out (wordworm beetles) after determining the
holes were not machined (they are perfectly round and the same size as
other holes routed to hold screens etc.) and investigating online.

My guess is they are not coming in from outside the condo, but that they
are inside the wood that the condo was constructed with. LOOK FOR THE
EXIT HOLES and/or sawdust like chaff stuff. My holes were about 1/4 round
(typical size for machined holes and thus easy to overlook), most species
have smaller holes though. I sprayed Permathin mix into the holes, heard
a brief whine sound (LOL) at the 1st hole, and haven't had any new
sawdust/chaff or noises in the last few days. The eggs are laid and then
they typically hatch at least 1 year later, but they can apparently remain
dormant for over a decade. I never really saw any actual beetles (just
found one tiny one that may be unrelated), which is common. If you are
finding lots it must be pretty bad I would think; they likely will
continue to reproduce/repeat until the cycle is stopped with insecticides
or replacing the wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is there a question somewhere? There shouldn't be anything in kiln dried lumber...unless you have termites in a moist area of the US. Pine bore beetles are common in the North, and attack injured trees...
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

What you describe seems like what we have here in Alabamastan where bumblebees bore into the wood outside homes. The holes are about 1/4" in diameter and you can hear a buzzing sound coming from them when the bee is inside. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Buzz Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote in
:

What you describe seems like what we have here in Alabamastan where
bumblebees bore into the wood outside homes. The holes are about 1/4"
in diameter and you can hear a buzzing sound coming from them when the
bee is inside. 8-)

Your posting style is a lot like The Daring Dufus. And he was from
Birmingham too.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.slack,uk.rec.driving

"t" wrote in message
roups.com...
Just for the record. I believe these beetles often are already inside of
wood that is used in home construction. They are just waiting to grow up
and come out. They don't eat as adults, but the earlier stages bury into
and consume wood, often moist wood. They leave holes in the wood when
they tunnel out of it as adults. When they are active you can often find
sawdust like material near the holes; "chaff" or something its called. I
have some windows that I could hear noises emanating from certain months,
and I noticed birds and bees attracted to the windows. The first person I
had look into this didn't find anything---I was worried about termites
mostly. I finally figured it out (wordworm beetles) after determining the
holes were not machined (they are perfectly round and the same size as
other holes routed to hold screens etc.) and investigating online.

AND NOW, FOLKS.........A LITTLE DIDDY FOR YA ^@^

The Worms Crawl In,
The Worms Crawl Out,
Into yer arsehole,
And out your mouth.

They eat your dick,
They scramble your heart.
Now you feel like
Youre all apart.

This is how
It is to die
You end up looking
Like apple pie!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2015 12:22 PM, bob_villa wrote:
Is there a question somewhere? There shouldn't be anything in kiln dried lumber...unless you have termites in a moist area of the US. Pine bore beetles are common in the North, and attack injured trees...

Pine bore beetles are also common in Fla. I lost 50 pine trees in my
yard after Wilma injured them.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 11:52:25 AM UTC-5, Zak W wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote in
:

What you describe seems like what we have here in Alabamastan where
bumblebees bore into the wood outside homes. The holes are about 1/4"
in diameter and you can hear a buzzing sound coming from them when the
bee is inside. 8-)

Your posting style is a lot like The Daring Dufus. And he was from
Birmingham too.

That's my brother, I'm about 10 minutes older than Dufas. We had the same English and creative writing teachers and were tortured by the same nuns. We come up with all sorts acronyms and share them so it doesn't surprise me that our writing style may be similar because we outgrew Liberalism a long time ago. It would be hell if we could persuade our other 7 siblings to post to Usenet. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Brother Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.slack,uk.rec.driving

"NEMO" wrote in message
On 6/2/2015 11:29 AM, Colon Edmud Burchese wrote:
"t" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

You ALREADY look like that and you're not even DEAD, Coloon!
LOLOK

It's what yer face would look like after I took a BIG **** all over it!
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2015 11:42 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I think those are carpenter bees because we have some of those here, too.

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 6:25:32 PM UTC-5, rebel wrote:
[...]

My mistake! It's Carpenter Bees, they just look like Bumble Bees. Brain flatulence can be a real problem for me some times. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Brain Fart Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

I thought Woodworm Beetles is in England/UK what we call Termites here in the United States mainland.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 09:42:27 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

What you describe seems like what we have here in Alabamastan where bumblebees bore into the wood outside homes. The holes are about 1/4" in diameter and you can hear a buzzing sound coming from them when the bee is inside. 8-)

What you are describing is electrric wood. It's what electric guitars
are made of. It hums becaue of the electricity. No bees involved.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2015 2:41 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I wonder if we had similar creative writing teachers? That was one of
my favorite classes.

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2015 7:18 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Does brain flatulence smell bad like the kind that comes from the south
end? lol

--
rebel